Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub of Cadillac XLR news and information! Click here to check out the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thread: XLR Tool?

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 Silver XLR

Default XLR Tool?

In the XLR users manual (2008) on page 2-58, step 9, under the heading of "Manually Raising the Retractable Hardtop", it says, "Remove the upright center storage compartment. Use the wrench to remove the four screws holding the storage area in place." The drawing shows a hand turning what looks like a philips head screwdriver.

Is there a Cadillac supplied tool somewhere in the XLR for this purpose? It sounds that way, but I have not found one.

CADXLR-V

I'm told there used to be a tool that came with the car. I've heard some say they found it in the glove box while others said they found theirs in the storage compartment in the trunk. However, I did not get one in my 2009 XLR-V and have not been able to locate one. I was also told that the wrench shows as discontinued in the parts database.

Consequently, I assume that means that there is no special wrench needed and that common wrenches can do the trick. This is something that I have been procrastinating about figuring out and learning how to do. I need to get the straight facts and figure it all out before I'm stranded in the rain along side the highway trying to figure out how get the top to close.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Gold Mist XLR

Here is a photo of the tool that came with my '06.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -xlr-top-tool-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 Platium XLR

From the pic it looks like what I have always called the GM star screwdriver. I bought one several years ago to remove a headlight cover on my Olds 98. I just used it Friday to adjust the tension on my XLR mesh wind screen. You should be able to get one from an auto store or a GM dealer.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 Platium XLR

For clarity let me add, my tool is not shaped like a wrench but is the business end of a screwdriver. It should have a different part number than the wrench.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Light Platinum, President, "Midwest Marauders"

You can occasionally find one on eBay if you look for an owners manual (they were included with them).

I listed what it was once upon a time (the size Torx driver and allen wrench)- I'll find it eventually and get back to you if no one beats me to it....

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Light Platinum, President, "Midwest Marauders"

Found it:

Originally Posted by HOMEGAMEROOM
    It's just an allen wrench on one side and a Torx wrench on the other.
    Here's a picture of mine... T-15 torx on one end, 8mm hex on the other.
    Attached Thumbnails-pict2268-jpg