Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Black XLR

Default Engine light keeps coming on

I have a 2005 Cadillac XLR. The engine light keeps coming on after being reset. The code is a P0171. I've had the air manifold changed. The Mass Flow Air and the oxygen sensors replace. I had the engine smoked tested twice. Both times ok. My mechanic can't figure it out.
    Can anyone help? Ideas?
    Thanks,
    BobT

Engine light keeps coming on XLRATING's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)

Might be loose intake bolts (although if you've had the manifold changed that should have taken care of that issue). Check this thread out & give that a shot: Check Engine Light on- Codes P0171 and P0174

Here's other info: 2007 - 2009 Cadillac XLR: Service Bulletin: #PIP4577M: SES Light With DTCs P0171 And P0174 - Possible Air Leaks - (Jul 5, 2012)

Intermittent Check engine light...

My XLR is throwing two codes...PO171 and PO300

Check engine light

(ran a search of the forum with your code and also "O2 sensor" [because I remembered someone paid a bunch of money replacing O2 sensors when it was just the manifold bolts needed tightening] to find these, although I remembered the manifold bolt issue on my own).

Hope something there helps! If not, try using site searches more specific to what you've been told about your problem.

yep, I drive a hybrid - a V8 bred for high speed!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Custom hood & trunk liner
    Zaino polish

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 XLR-V, Raven black

I was having the same problem, or, well... similar. My code was a bad knock sensor. After changing both knock sensors and the light still occasionally coming on, he discovered a loose connection. I know that's not much help, but have your mechanic approach it like an electrical problem. Worth a shot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. Likes BobbyT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Black XLR

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyT View Post
    I have a 2005 Cadillac XLR. The engine light keeps coming on after being reset. The code is a P0171. I've had the air manifold changed. The Mass Flow Air and the oxygen sensors replace. I had the engine smoked tested twice. Both times ok. My mechanic can't figure it out.
    Can anyone help? Ideas?
    Thanks,
    BobT
    Thanks for your input. I'm having my mechanic torque the bolts today. Hope it solves the problem.