Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub of Cadillac XLR news and information! Click here to check out the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004, Xenon Blue XLR

Default CD Error Message

Help Everyone,

The CD player is giving me a message that says "CD Error".

Is there a way that I can correct this? Is it a fuse or do I need to take it to the dealership?

Also one CD is already in the the player and will not eject.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

E Curtis

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 XLR-V Infra Red, 2-Tone Intr, RII, RIII & RIV survivor, Mdwst Maurader

ECurtis,

Need a little more info--is the CD you have one that you recorded or a standard pre-recorded CD you bought. I'm sure you loaded it label side up--correct? Sometimes recorded CD's may stick as it may be thicker than pre-recorded CD's. Have you tried to load anymore CD's after this message? Keep trying to unload the CD you have installed, it may eventually come out. If you have no luck then take it in to the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by ECurtis View Post
    Help Everyone,

The CD player is giving me a message that says "CD Error".

Is there a way that I can correct this? Is it a fuse or do I need to take it to the dealership?

E Curtis

Cubby558

"If you want to blend in, Ride the Bus"

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Light Platinum, President, "Midwest Marauders"

PS Do NOT put a label sticker on a CD you use in the car! The heat tends to make them fall off, which can cause all sorts of problems!

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Cubby's, RIII Attendee, Midwest Marauder Alcohol Czar

Quote Originally Posted by ECurtis View Post

E Curtis
    I have had this happen in my Lincoln before. It usually happened with CD's that were burned.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004, Xenon Blue XLR

Quote Originally Posted by cubby558 View Post
    ECurtis,

Need a little more info--is the CD you have one that you recorded or a standard pre-recorded CD you bought. I'm sure you loaded it label side up--correct? Sometimes recorded CD's may stick as it may be thicker than pre-recorded CD's. Have you tried to load anymore CD's after this message? Keep trying to unload the CD you have installed, it may eventually come out. If you have no luck then take it in to the dealer.
    Cubby558,

The CD is a standard CD purchased at a record shop. I took it to the dealer and they stated that when this happens they replace the entire radio unit. They said that they were going to replace the radio unit. They also said that they send the old units for refurbishment to a local ship who then removes the stuck CD. They said that removal of the stuck CD can take 2-7 weeks because they refurbish the units as needed and they may not get around to it. I gave the dealer the "CD Error" TSB that I found on this site (I have listed it below) and he said that that was not the issue with mine. I still do not know what the issue is, but I am hopeful I will know more when it is taken apart. I will post info on this site.

Unfortuantely, because of my mileage, the radio is no longer covered so it will cost $450.00 for a unit with installation. I will say, that I have had many, many cars with CD players and some for more than (12) years. This is the first time I have head of the CD player eating the CD. When that happened it would not load, unload or play the CD. I did not want to risk another one getting stuct so I did not try to install another CD.

ECurtis

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 XLR-V

Wow!!! $450,,, Maybe look into a after market head unit. Then maybe you could get one with bluetooth and Nav. Then maybe you could get regular updates on the Nav, cause we can't get them now!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

...or try to take it out of the car and to the repair facility yourself and eliminate the middleman.

Another thought - how about if you try to "reboot" the car by taking the "+" cable off the battery for a minute or two? Maybe it will reboot the CD player too (it might be worth a shot)...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOMEGAMEROOM View Post
    ...or try to take it out of the car and to the repair facility yourself and eliminate the middleman.

Another thought - how about if you try to "reboot" the car by taking the "+" cable off the battery for a minute or two? Maybe it will reboot the CD player too (it might be worth a shot)...
    You want to take off the Neg. cable first, not the positive cable.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Safety first! (That's why they call it "dope"!!!)

Thanks for the correction!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Gold Mist Met. XLR

Cool

I am having an issue with my CD changer also. If I insert a pre-recorded store bought CD it will play fine....no issues. If I insert a burned CD it will skip and skip and eventually not be recognized by the changer and will not throw an error message. Then the next day half of the CD will play and then start skipping again, a few days later and the entire CD will play without a problem. Then a few days later the cycle will start all over again. Using the NAV/DVD the burned CD play all the time every time. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Just wanted to get some input before I take it into the dealer.
    2006 Cadillac XLR
    Gold Mist Met/Shale #637
    Corvette Z06 Chrome Wheels
    Drilled and Slotted Rotors
    Painted Brake Calipers
    Goodridge SS Brake Lines
    Volant CAI
    Corsa Exhaust
    Painted Engine Cover
    E&G Classics Fine Mesh Grille
    6000K Headlamps
    6000K Fog Lights

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster Limited #32195
    Pearl Black Clear Coat
    Dk. Slate Grey/Cool Vanilla Two-Tone Interior
    Foose Speedster 5 Chrome Wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

I've had a variety if issues with home-burned CD's, but nothing major. Sometimes one brand of blank CD seems to be better than another.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

You might try using one of those cleaner disks--maybe the lens in the unit is dirty causing the skipping. I haven't had any issues with either unit; other than having a Nav disk that wouldn't work--it had a scratch on it.

Cubby558

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 Red XLR-V

I had to get my cd changer replaced by the dealer today it's skipping really bad and throwing out "CD ERRORS" so they are replacing it and it should come in the next 2 days. Since it wouldn't even play my store bought cds and the ones I burned before stopped working. I think it's reached it's end.

Will give an update on how the new one is going to play out!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Gold Mist Met. XLR

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by cubby558 View Post
    You might try using one of those cleaner disks--maybe the lens in the unit is dirty causing the skipping. I haven't had any issues with either unit; other than having a Nav disk that wouldn't work--it had a scratch on it.
    Can those be used....I think I read somewhere in the owners manual that you shouldn't try to use any type of CD cleaner , I may be wrong. I will check the owners manual again.
    2006 Cadillac XLR
    Gold Mist Met/Shale #637
    Corvette Z06 Chrome Wheels
    Drilled and Slotted Rotors
    Painted Brake Calipers
    Goodridge SS Brake Lines
    Volant CAI
    Corsa Exhaust
    Painted Engine Cover
    E&G Classics Fine Mesh Grille
    6000K Headlamps
    6000K Fog Lights

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster Limited #32195
    Pearl Black Clear Coat
    Dk. Slate Grey/Cool Vanilla Two-Tone Interior
    Foose Speedster 5 Chrome Wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

I checked my owners manual and saw nothing about not using a CD disk cleaner--perhaps I have a different manual. Hopefully Cadillac Tech will see this and can give us better advise.

I entered this into a Cadillac Tech Support site and received an answer back: "If your CD cleaning disk is one that uses a cleaning fluid; use sparingly, as the fluid can ruin the unit. It can however be used in your multi-disk player for cleaning."

Quote Originally Posted by XFireXLR View Post
    Can those be used....I think I read somewhere in the owners manual that you shouldn't try to use any type of CD cleaner , I may be wrong. I will check the owners manual again.

Cubby558