Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Oil leak survey

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 infrared xlr

Quote Originally Posted by XLRATING View Post
    Beauty's oil leaks are getting bigger so I took her in to get her checked. Turns out I have multiple oil leaks, managed to get ALL the usual ones:
    1. Cam shaft actuator (they said that's been leaking a while)
    2. Timing chain cover
    3. Oil pan
    As usual, if I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it right!

This will be the first test of my USAA aftermarket warranty. Dealer thought they would cover everything, & I'm sure going to need them to.
    Yes that's what happened to me a while back. I think late July early August. And my Zurich warranty covered Oil leak survey. Mine was leaking for a while slow drips. But then I just went to the dealer and the warranty covered it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 infrared base
    date purchased oct 4th 2012 at the time she had 20758 miles on her.

Every time I see my "BABY" I smile and say to myself, "I still don't believe i am a owner of this Great car".

Topless is the only way to drive

Florida is a convertible state

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)

Took a week to take care of everything but Beauty is back home & all seems well so far. Can't see all the fixes, but I can see shiny new cam actuators with big "Made in Germany" stickers on them. On the good side, since all the typical leak areas needed fixing at once (& were approved by the extended warranty ) I'm hoping that I'm done with oil leaks for the life of the car.

yep, I drive a hybrid - a V8 bred for high speed!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Custom hood & trunk liner
    Zaino polish

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 XLR Infrared

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye372 View Post
    Ok got the car back around 5 pm. The oil leak was from the camshaft position actuator magnets leaking oil. So they had one in stock and had to order the other 3. Zurich aftermarket warranty paid. Then while I had it in the shop they did the 30 k mile check up. Boy that's a lot of work. performed fuel system and replaced cabin air filter and did a all 4 wheel alignment and pressurized tires then test drove it. Then gave her a comp bath. So then I rushed her back home and put her to bed. Because weather man was calling for heavy storms with hail. (But nothing really happened). Oh btw before I pulled away, the service guy said someone was around the corner wanting to buy my xlr. He said do you really want to. I said no way. But then I thought about it when I got home. I should've said 100 k. But then I would've probably gotten a /(:7. You know those other cars made at bg plant. But that's a dirty word around here. As I left I think the person was looking at a pony car in the Cadillac lot

Did Zurich cover the cost for the "Performed Fuel System"? Enquiring minds would like to know.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Default Early unhappy New Year to me!

Today was 60 & next week will be rainy & in the 40's, so I took Beauty for a good drive & stretched her legs on the interstate for a short distance. When I got back home Mike said it had the hot oil smell so checked it - sure enough, it's leaking again. Coming from the bottom front of the engine, not sure if it's a new leak or an old one not properly repaired. Be calling Mon to see about getting it fixed.

Oh well - I guess at least I won't be missing top down time ...

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Zaino polish

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR

Default Oil leak survey

Us too Amy it was 59 and sunny top went down for Christmas at the end of November in PA! It was a lucky day!
    I Ask Wendy if she want to put down she said hell yeah! Oil leak survey so off we went to the movies to see the 3rd Hobbit!
    Hopefully your oil leaks an easy fix!

Returning Roxy back to moms garage today where she's staying for a couple more weeks before bringing her out for spring prep and down south road trip!
    Can't wait to see you all again in May!

ALL SO LOOKING FOR A CHROME GRILL FOR MY 2005 if anyone has one or connection to one please contact or PM me!
    Thank You!Oil leak surveyOil leak surveyOil leak surveyOil leak survey

Dan & Wendy
    "05 GRAND DADDY"
    Last edited by 05 GRAND DADDY; 12-28-2014 at 06:51 AM.
    WENDY & DAN
    I'LL HAVE MY WONDERFUL WIFE!!!!!!!
    MY XLR & AND A ICE COLD BEER!!!!!!!

6. Likes hawkeye372 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 infrared xlr

hate to say this But i guess i will take the chance. It's in the mid 60's and will be touching in the mid 70's here next week. If it wasn't for the baltimore game today I would be taking a spin around town. Maybe during halftime or monday. Right now its very foggy out here. The fog has been slowly lifting, But not fast enough. So if i even take her out the interior will get messed up with the fog. I've had the girls top down for the last week or so. The only movement has been backing her in and out of the garage because I've been cleaning out the garage and putting away christmas decorations.

06 infrared base
    date purchased oct 4th 2012 at the time she had 20758 miles on her.

Every time I see my "BABY" I smile and say to myself, "I still don't believe i am a owner of this Great car".

Topless is the only way to drive

Florida is a convertible state

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

As long as you guys don't return with a new/worse oil leak you're doing better than me! - & the only picture I have from my trip is of the leak (going to be emailed to the dealer).

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Zaino polish

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 red xlr

Default cooled seats

Quote Originally Posted by Lola's Mom View Post
    Phrede .... I missed that! Maybe there were just so many people when these cars first came out that posted their problems because we were so looking for information from anyone who might have had the same problem - or knew what was normal or wrong .... shoot .... we only had like 18,000 cars to get information from .... and probably only 10% of those people ever joined a forum to talk about them. And the cars were such great innovative technology back then .... shoot .... only now - 10 years later are cooled seats being offered. Love my car.
    I think you're wrong about the cooled seats. Mine is an 05 and it has cooled seats. Harry

10. Likes hawkeye372 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Thunder Grey XLR

Quote Originally Posted by harry jones View Post
    I think you're wrong about the cooled seats. Mine is an 05 and it has cooled seats. Harry

My 2004 has both heat & cool for driver and passenger.
    Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Hi guys
    I think the way I read this.... she, Lola's Mom, meant other brand of cars not our XLR's I've known Lola's Mom for a couple years and meant her and her hubby 2 years ago at the Carmel Show. I think they owned an XLR back when they first came out and still may have it or a newer model! BTW this original thread post was from January 16 2013

WENDY & DAN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tech View Post
    There are many places for oil to leak, here are the most popular; timing cover ('04-'05) & timing cover gasket, oil manifold (above engine oil pan), lower crankcase seals, both cam covers, all 4 camshaft position actuators & housings, oil filter adapter & oil cooler lines on the 4.4L.
    These leaks are common to all North Stars. It is said our XLR's has been upgraded (I don't trust that GM did so) from the rest I'm new to the XLR however not new to the North Star engine. The list provided is very accurate by my experience. I have experienced them all including head gaskets on 2 cars. The head gaskets by my experience appear at about 135k. You would think the head gaskets would be the worst of it but they are second to the crank case leak know as "the leak". The remainder of the list are easily repaired. If you experience "the leak" I have found that Blue Devel block seal does work. I usually don't fall for the snake oils but this one has worked well in two North Stars with over 200k. My 18 year old daughter drives one of them. Other than the stated leaks I believe the North Star is bullit proof. Great engine that continues to deliver power at high milage. Great discussion for those who don't know the North Start. Nothing to be feared of and all are repairable. The listed leaks can appear under 100k but mostly at or just over.
    Last edited by Agitated Monkey; 04-19-2017 at 11:09 PM.

14. Likes 05 GRAND DADDY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

I had a whole bunch of oil leaks fixed under my aftermarket warranty about a year or two ago with around 90,000 K on her!

WENDY & DAN

16. Likes hawkeye372 liked this post