Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub of Cadillac XLR news and information! Click here to check out the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Matte Black XLamboR

Default Xlr headlight mod

So my headlights were smoked and I didn't really like the look. So I decided to try something different. I once tried it on a 350z and several Hondas.. So why not an XLR.... Same concept but not that easy... I messed up one of the lights but i am currently running them without the lenses as the pics show below. Soon does anybody have any spare headlights they could "donate" lol.. As soon as I get another set I will do a "how to" write up. Let me know what you think...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 XLR-V Infra Red, 2-Tone Intr, RII, RIII & RIV survivor, Mdwst Maurader

Good luck with that one. New headlights are about $1000 a piece!!

Quote Originally Posted by micropimp View Post
    ............................................ Soon does anybody have any spare headlights they could "donate" lol.. .

Cubby558

"If you want to blend in, Ride the Bus"

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004xlr

Ebay

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Black Raven XLR-V

I couldn't stop looking at your front end, which appears to be sitting on the parking curb!!!
    '07 XLR V & '06 XLR "His & Hers" Life is Good

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 XLR Silver

Default How are the lens held on

So my headlights were smoked and I didn't really like the look. So I decided to try something different. I once tried it on a 350z and several Hondas.. So why not an XLR.... Same concept but not that easy... I messed up one of the lights but i am currently running them without the lenses as the pics show below. Soon does anybody have any spare headlights they could "donate" lol.. As soon as I get another set I will do a "how to" write up. Let me know what you think...
    Hi
    I have one lens that is separating and am wondering how are they attached. If a guy was to use silicon you would see it as the lens is clear. Any idea how its done?

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Lt Platinum XLR

Quote Originally Posted by LVXLR8N View Post
    Hi
    I have one lens that is separating and am wondering how are they attached. If a guy was to use silicon you would see it as the lens is clear. Any idea how its done?
    I removed a bezel for testing a few years ago and ran into the same issue you describe. After some trial and error, I ended up using a vacuum pump to draw the bezel against the soft silicone seal until it was uniformly adhered.

As for the light mod picture, your photo is of the car -not the light. There's no way to see what you did, and no narrative to describe it.
    The only winner in that photo looks to be the parking curb.

CC

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004xlr

Cc looks like he painted the chrome bezels around the light. I thought about trying to put angel eye halos around the hid but am to scared of breaking lights. I had actually seen a pass. Light on eBay for 60 bucks tempting me to buy to do so experimenting but I didn't. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Matte Black XLamboR

heres a pic of the headlight. I just ordered a pair from ebay for 275 a pair. As soon as I get them ill start working on them and get them delivered. And the front FASCIA is not on the parking stopper. Its two inches above it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 XLR Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    I removed a bezel for testing a few years ago and ran into the same issue you describe. After some trial and error, I ended up using a vacuum pump to draw the bezel against the soft silicone seal until it was uniformly adhered.

As for the light mod picture, your photo is of the car -not the light. There's no way to see what you did, and no narrative to describe it.
    The only winner in that photo looks to be the parking curb.

CC
    Thanks for the info. This leads to a couple more questions. How did you remove the lens? I was checking on some other lights and they put them in a oven at 200 degrees and then remove the lens. I think they may have a different type of adhesive been that it is not something that is seen through the lens. Did you just put a light coat of silicon? Me and silicon are not one, I seem to get it everywhere but where I want it. How much of a vacuum did you draw?

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Gold Mist Met. XLR

Cool

Did the same on my Chrysler Crossfire Roadster, removed the amber section of the lens. Baked them in the oven to brake the seal....then cut out amber section and then reseal the headlamp. Not to hard to do but also not too easy....got to have patience.
    2006 Cadillac XLR
    Gold Mist Met/Shale #637
    Corvette Z06 Chrome Wheels
    Drilled and Slotted Rotors
    Painted Brake Calipers
    Goodridge SS Brake Lines
    Volant CAI
    Corsa Exhaust
    Painted Engine Cover
    E&G Classics Fine Mesh Grille
    6000K Headlamps
    6000K Fog Lights

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster Limited #32195
    Pearl Black Clear Coat
    Dk. Slate Grey/Cool Vanilla Two-Tone Interior
    Foose Speedster 5 Chrome Wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 XLR Silver

Quote Originally Posted by XFireXLR View Post
    Did the same on my Chrysler Crossfire Roadster, removed the amber section of the lens. Baked them in the oven to brake the seal....then cut out amber section and then reseal the headlamp. Not to hard to do but also not too easy....got to have patience.
    Does the crossfire have the lens set up like the xlr with the lens placed flat on top or does it bend around and seal in the back? It does not look like the cross fire would show the silicon bubbling like ours will?

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Gold Mist Met. XLR

Default Re: Xlr headlight mod

Quote Originally Posted by LVXLR8N View Post
    Does the crossfire have the lens set up like the xlr with the lens placed flat on top or does it bend around and seal in the back? It does not look like the cross fire would show the silicon bubbling like ours will?
    Fortunately the Crossfire just uses a amber bulb and not a lens. I opened them up to install an LED ring around the headlamp bezel to make "angel eyes". Similar to the headlamps that you see on BMW's and the newer Camaro's.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    2006 Cadillac XLR
    Gold Mist Met/Shale #637
    Corvette Z06 Chrome Wheels
    Drilled and Slotted Rotors
    Painted Brake Calipers
    Goodridge SS Brake Lines
    Volant CAI
    Corsa Exhaust
    Painted Engine Cover
    E&G Classics Fine Mesh Grille
    6000K Headlamps
    6000K Fog Lights

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster Limited #32195
    Pearl Black Clear Coat
    Dk. Slate Grey/Cool Vanilla Two-Tone Interior
    Foose Speedster 5 Chrome Wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Matte Black XLamboR

The xlrs actually have TWO sealing points.. ONE where the clear plastic meets the bezel( which I highly recommend to not remove) and where the bezel meets the headlamp housing. I baked them in the oven at 450 for 6min. The problem was that I left one of them in their for way took long because I was working on the other one. And the clear plastic came off the bezel and the bezel melted of the housing!! How that's how you learn!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Red Jewel XLR

The xlrs actually have TWO sealing points.. ONE where the clear plastic meets the bezel( which I highly recommend to not remove) and where the bezel meets the headlamp housing. I baked them in the oven at 450 for 6min. The problem was that I left one of them in their for way took long because I was working on the other one. And the clear plastic came off the bezel and the bezel melted of the housing!! How that's how you learn!
    Makes for an expensive learning curve, though...
    Rod
    aka mt

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Matte Black XLamboR

Just installed new headlights. Should I open them up and black out the bezels? Or leave it as is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg   -image-jpg