Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Exhaust module

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infared

GM News Exhaust module

The butterfly valves are stuck in open position. I was told that the part 15839086 is bad. I tried gm parts direct but was advised it is out of stock. Any idea who might have one or is there away to have this one repaired

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)

This is second hand from my husband, who knows this better than me - the valves are vacuum operated. Has someone told you anything about the condition of the vacuum function? Maybe check a fuse? We switched out the stock V exhaust with Billy Boat Fusion (which might also solve your problem), you can lube the valves on the Billy Boat, maybe check and see if this can be done with the stock.

yep, I drive a hybrid - a V8 bred for high speed!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Custom hood & trunk liner
    Zaino polish

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infared

Default Exhaust module

Quote Originally Posted by XLRATING View Post
    This is second hand from my husband, who knows this better than me - the valves are vacuum operated. Has someone told you anything about the condition of the vacuum function? Maybe check a fuse? We switched out the stock V exhaust with Billy Boat Fusion (which might also solve your problem), you can lube the valves on the Billy Boat, maybe check and see if this can be done with the stock.

The valves are vacum but but the part that controls them is electronic. The module that controls open and close is bad. The valves are free and easily moved Just need to find the module or some one that can repair the box. It is located on the left side in the trunk in the wheel well

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)

Corvettes have a similar system - some of their parts will cross over - maybe give that a shot.

yep, I drive a hybrid - a V8 bred for high speed!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Custom hood & trunk liner
    Zaino polish

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infared XLR-V

One option would be to just mount a switch in the console and wire it to open and close the valves. I have done this and it works very well. All the module does is open the valves above 3500 RPM.

2006 Infared XLR-V built 4/2006, Sold new 8/24/2006 @ 36 miles. Purchased as second owner 7/22/09 @ 40,151 miles, as of 1/2017 80,000 miles
    Ligenfelter Varimax PWM Intercooler Coolant Pump, D3 Stage 1 & 2 Intake, Wait4me tune, Texas Mile 154.6 MPH 10/26/2012
    Other Caddys 2005 Infared STS 133,000 miles, 1990 Red Allante 154,000 miles & 1994 Fleetwood Brougham 227,000 miles
    Member of Allante' XLR Houston Club:
    www.allanteclubofamerica.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=179768&module_id=5 322

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infared

Default Exhaust

I was thinking about that if I can't find the midule

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Black XLR/V

Unhappy Exhaust Module

Quote Originally Posted by RBrown View Post
    I was thinking about that if I can't find the midule
    Did you ever find a module or an alternative solution? I have a quote from Cadillac dealership for $882.31 to replace the module on my 2007 XLRV. A quick response would be appreciated. I also need a right headlight. Quote is $3,927.28 for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infared

Quote Originally Posted by ROzburn View Post
    Did you ever find a module or an alternative solution? I have a quote from Cadillac dealership for $882.31 to replace the module on my 2007 XLRV. A quick response would be appreciated. I also need a right headlight. Quote is $3,927.28 for that.
    I found a module on eBay that fits a 2009 corvette z6. The plugs are the same. I have ordered and hope it fixes the problem. Cost was only 30 dollars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 XLR/V, Arctic White, Cashmere interior

Cool thoughts

Hey,
    If you can get under the back of your car - you can easily locate the vacuum actuators on the mufflers - look for the rubber vacuum lines - pull one off the diaphragm mechanism - then look to see if the exhaust valve closes as the valve is usually closed and only opens with vacuum. Lets assume the valve closes - this means the electronic controller is bad - which is what I believe you think - If the valve stays open then the diaphragm is bad - but the chances of both sides going bad at the same time is a bit out. I installed a "mild to wild" switch on my V - literally took about 5 minutes - this will allow you to bypass the stock controller.
    Good luck
    Schmidt

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Silver

Default Mild to Wild culprit

FYI, I do believe the Mild to Wild controller can fry the "Exhaust Tail Pipe Control Module" (part#15839086). I believe this is what happened to mine, there are companies out there selling the module but at over $200 the flaps being open all of the time don't really sound that bad.
    So, please be cautious as I wish I'd left mine alone

Quote Originally Posted by scott8060 View Post
    Hey,
    If you can get under the back of your car - you can easily locate the vacuum actuators on the mufflers - look for the rubber vacuum lines - pull one off the diaphragm mechanism - then look to see if the exhaust valve closes as the valve is usually closed and only opens with vacuum. Lets assume the valve closes - this means the electronic controller is bad - which is what I believe you think - If the valve stays open then the diaphragm is bad - but the chances of both sides going bad at the same time is a bit out. I installed a "mild to wild" switch on my V - literally took about 5 minutes - this will allow you to bypass the stock controller.
    Good luck
    Schmidt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ROzburn View Post
    if your dealer gave you a quote on the headlight, jump at it .I will take a new one for that

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infared

Default Exhaust module

I got one from a 2009 corvette z6. Exhaust looks identical. I am still waiting on one more part, there is a celinoid located at the vacuum lines that was also not working. I owas able to order that from gm parts direct. I bought the module on eBay used for 30 dollars. The other part was 55.00

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infared

I received the celinoid and reinstalled. System is working perfect. Cost about $80 in parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrown View Post
    I received the celinoid and reinstalled. System is working perfect. Cost about $80 in parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For anyone doing a search on this topic, solenoid might be helpful.