Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Don't have one yet!

Default Practical XLR Care - Washing, Waxing and Storing Your Cadillac XLR

Below is a link to some awesome articles regarding the care, maintenance, detailing and storage of Corvettes.

The information provided in these articles can definitely be applied to the Cadillac XLR!

http://www.CorvetteActionCenter.com/tech/care/
    Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    Corvette Action Center
    The Meadery
    Torque Network
    VetteTube

"Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertising Information

Spotlight:

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Blue '05

There is some good general advice in the links above.

Current technology as used on the XLR is a base coat of paint with a clear-coat finish. That sounds simple but some of the premium finishes are even more complex with a specific base coat, a primary color (often with suspended reflective flakes) and a clear coat that may be tinted as well.

The clear-coat needs some attention. For a number of reasons, modern (read what is on your XLR) clear-coats are water based. This makes a softer finish that won't pit/chip as easily but will also scratch more easily. This results in a "self healing" finish; small scratches will work themselves out. Some types of spots, such as resulting from bird poop... will clear themselves over time because of water that was absorbed, then slowly dried out.

My observations:

1. Use a polymer finish - NOT WAX. Zaino or Meguires... several other brands are also good. They all work about the same. Polymers provide a very thin coating that protects the clear-coat from both contamination AND ultriviolate radiation. Polymers last longer and can also be built up; more coats after the succeeding coat has had time to cure can be added to make a very deap finish. Very appearent on darker colors.
    2. Use a good detergent to REMOVE WAX and POLYMERS. Dawn dishswashing detergent is my favorite for that. For regular washing, use a MILD AUTO carwash soap. This is a formulation closer to shampoo and will not remove wax and synthetic finishes.
    3. 100% cotton or microfibers are the only thing you should wash with. SPONGES WILL HOLD ABRASIVES AGAINST YOUR FINISH and will dull the finish. Cotton will allow those abrasives to migrate into the cloth. ALso do not wipe in circular motions, go back and forth. Circular scratches are much more noticable than straight.

I always dry my car when I wash it using a California Blade first... just so I don't have to use a large number of towels or to squeeze out the water. Then I dry with a good cotton towel. All water has some minerals, either in the water or what it has desolved from washing. If you don't dry it off the minerals attach to the finish.

In my opinion, buffing a clear-coat finish should only be done by a reputable body shop. You can use a clay-bar and should at least once a year... but I would not recommend a buffer. Ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 XLR-V RII'07 RIII'08 SA'09 CO'10 NCSC'11 PA'12 BG'13 MT'14 VBOBX'15

I agree with you up to the drying. I wouldn't use a blade on my car. What I do is: take the nozzle off the hose, run the water straight out of the hose. If you have a good coat of the polymer on your car, doing it this way the water should "sheet" off of the car, all that is left on the car are "blobs" of water. Then I take my yard leaf blower to the car. I can almost get it completely dry this way. The wet spots that are left, I take a waffle weave towel to, and there's not many wet spots left to dry!

I've read that with a blade, if you have a piece of dirt or anything, stuck under the blade, you have a chance of running a scratch down the clear coat.

I agree with the clay bar. I do mine once a year in the spring.

Chad

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 XLR

Amazing how car enthusiasts can even get excited and religious about their car washing methods. I'm there too, fully converted to using Adam's products. I too use an electric leaf blower and some Adam's waffle weave towels when drying.
    Buffers are for the pros, but something like a Porter Cable polisher which oscillates rather than spins greatly reduces your chances of screwing up your paint. They (Adam's) have tutorials on their web site and their products are among the best out there.
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Silver/Black XLR

Seemz like I've had so many service appointments, I barely need to wash my XLR myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 XLR-V RII'07 RIII'08 SA'09 CO'10 NCSC'11 PA'12 BG'13 MT'14 VBOBX'15

I've read some real horror stories about the service dept. washing the cars! I'd just as soon wash my car myself!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 XLR

Quote Originally Posted by Popbigguy View Post
    I've read some real horror stories about the service dept. washing the cars! I'd just as soon wash my car myself!
    Our local dealer network (Rydell) quit washing cars and prints out a coupon for a hand wash at the local car wash. They are pretty good, better than most, but I still do mine myself.
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Passion Red XLR

I have the BEST local car wash, does a great job, everything done by hand, with only the best products and the cleanest rags around. Give me a call, I will get you in, its very very exclusive. Goes by the name of Darth Vader. Actually, when Mark is too busy, my detailers do a nice job on Passion Diva, they have had to use a clay bar on a her a couple of times (she spends lots of time on the freeway), and she always looks new.
    PD5150

mswaim

Yea, and when Darth don't get what he wants, he replaces that clay bar with a Hershey Bar!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 XLR

Quote Originally Posted by PassionDiva5150 View Post
    I have the BEST local car wash, does a great job, everything done by hand, with only the best products and the cleanest rags around. Give me a call, I will get you in, its very very exclusive. Goes by the name of Darth Vader. Actually, when Mark is too busy, my detailers do a nice job on Passion Diva, they have had to use a clay bar on a her a couple of times (she spends lots of time on the freeway), and she always looks new.
    That's great. I was thinking of having a detail day before we head up there, but we'll just wait till we get there. Only Adam's products, and especially their microfiber towels please.
    Let's see his schedule: make drinks, start BBQ, detail our cars, cook dinner, finish car details. Wow, you keep him busy.
    Bruce

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Black Raven

Quote Originally Posted by b_pappy View Post
    That's great. I was thinking of having a detail day before we head up there, but we'll just wait till we get there. Only Adam's products, and especially their microfiber towels please.
    Let's see his schedule: make drinks, start BBQ, detail our cars, cook dinner, finish car details. Wow, you keep him busy.
    Bruce
    Darth cleans too.
    (I love him!)

mswaim

Sorry, but the Green Hills Community Car Wash is closing its doors for the Holidays. And I use Coat's Products - gotta love a car wax (cherry wet wax) that smells good enough to eat!!

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Black Raven

Looks like BBB is going to be a Battle of the Car Products! because I am sure YYPD (Yo Yo P Daddy .... formerly known as Detail Guy) will have his ICE in the trunk!

mswaim

The only ice I'm going to have in my trunk will be cooling my BEER!!!!!!!

Viva Pacifico Clara!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 XLR-V Infra Red, 2-Tone Intr, RII, RIII & RIV survivor, Mdwst Maurader

No I don't put it on blocks; I usually pull the wheels off 2-3 times throughout the year and clean the back of the rims really well, put a coat of wax on them and then clean the inner wheel wells and put Armorall on it. I have clay barred about 80% of the car so far--I ran out of Speed Shine, so I'm waiting for my order to come in. I also have machine polished the hood, top and read deck lid. I'll finish the rest after clay barring the rest of the car and then put a good coat of wax on it before it goes into hibernation. Hopefully the weather will stay the way it is for a few more weeks, so I can move it to the storage garage--my mothers garage!!

I already have the Harleys stored for the winter, so the garage has more room for me to clean Scarlett-V--then I'll have to move the snowblower in and move things around so the Expedition can come in for the winter--I need a bigger garage and a smaller house.

Quote Originally Posted by Lola's Mom View Post
    So, the car goes up on blocks, huh?

Cubby558

"If you want to blend in, Ride the Bus"