Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Silver

Default Tire and Wheel sizes

I know this can be a complicated topic, but perhaps someone here can post some easy to understand guidelines for wheel/tire fit for our cars.

I have a base 2005
    I have noticed some say you should go with a C5 wheel vs C6? Not sure how different they could be based upon the size?
    I would like to move to a 19" x 10" wheel all the way around
    most of them have a 65-79mm offset
    my guess is that tires would go to a 40 aspect ratio and up to about a 265mm width to maintain speedometer, etc...

Am I well within guidelines or am I crazy?
    Last edited by gamblingman; 08-30-2017 at 04:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2016 ATS-V Coupe; 2004 XLR

Default Aftermarket Wheels-

Quote Originally Posted by gamblingman View Post
    I know this can be a complicated topic, but perhaps someone here can post some easy to understand guidelines for wheel/tire fit for our cars.

I have a base 2005
    I have noticed some say you should go with a C5 wheel vs C6? Not sure how different they could be based upon the size?
    I would like to move to a 19" x 10" wheel all the way around
    most of them have a 65-79mm offset
    my guess is that tires would go to a 40 aspect ratio and up to about a 265mm width to maintain speedometer, etc...

Am I well within guidelines or am I crazy?

I/We have a base 2004....
    Not sure if this helps at all or not but recently I just changed my wheels from stock on my wife's XLR to the Centennial wheels of a 2013 Corvette and WE LOVE THEM!!! I ordered them from WCC, West Coast Corvettes in CA and Joseph who works there was a big help. I kept the size to 18" and I used 56 mm as a reference point. IOW, if you buy a wheel and it's offset is 57-59mm, you should be safe with the wheel fitting correctly. It just so happens WCC had the wheels I wanted at 18 x 8.5 x 56mm anyway they're on the car and look FANTASTIC! And by staying with 18" wheel, you won't have to worry about recalibrating the speedometer or computer (not sure which) to compensate for the larger diameter wheel.

On the other hand, if you just like the look of 19" wheels, then all of the above is mute!
    Last edited by Wife's XLR; 10-11-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 XLR Base

Default Wheels

Tire and Wheel sizes-104-jpgCorvette 245/40ZR18 front 265/35ZR19 rear Love the new aggressive look with a much more accentuated forward rake with the stagger. Ride is a little rough but not so much that it bothers me.

4. Likes Silver Bullet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Xenon Blue XLR with Chamere / Slate interior

I had these AMF 20" forged, monoblock wheels made. Front's are 20x9 et 45 with 255/35/20's & 20x10 et 45 with 275/30/20 Nitto NT 555 G2's. LOVE them! ...No rubbing!
    Tire and Wheel sizes-fb_img_1540787077088-jpgTire and Wheel sizes-20181212_160339-14359-jpg

6. Likes Mark0polo liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

play with this .you just put your stock size In and then the size you are looking for and you can compare. Get too big a rim and the brakes look tiny . You can see how others have moved the tires out a good bit and still kept most of the tire under the fender.

Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com

8. Thanks Mark0polo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Light Platinum

235/45 19 front
    245/45 19 rear
    Tire and Wheel sizes-img_20181225_062532_979-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Tire and Wheel sizes-20181225_125450_001-jpg 

10. Likes long Tall Sally liked this post