Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 Crystal Red XLR-V

Default The end-all DRL modification

Checked one of my winter projects off the list. I understand the need to get those high-wattage bulbs out of my DRls before the lenses are damaged, but I couldn't just stop there. I wanted switchback bulbs, but wanted them to operate totally transparently and as designed, not requiring the parking lights or anything to be on. Maybe there was an off the shelf option, but I couldn't find one so I made my own. I designed a circuit, fabricated boards, and hogged-out some cases. Yesterday, I finally got the time to put the pieces together. Thought I'd share some pics.

When you drop the transmission into drive, the DRLs come on. With my circuit, they light amber for (literally) one second, then ramp-up to full brightness white light. Turn signals (or hazards) flash amber (without the white) and then the white ramps up again after the turn signal ends.

Here's the board I designed an built. Probably over-designed, but I didn't want problems with vibration. It has a built in self-resetting fuse in case anything gets weird.
    The end-all DRL modification-img_7861-jpg

I used the silicon seals from weatherproof connectors and made blocks to hold them on a standard project box. These provide both water-resistance and some flex so the wires don't fatigue with vibration.
    The end-all DRL modification-img_7863-jpg

Here's everything together, including new socket. Ignore the resistor mount, as it had to be re-worked to fit in the fender better.
    The end-all DRL modification-img_7865-jpgThe end-all DRL modification-img_7864-jpg

Here's the improved resistor mount. The plate has counter-bored holes that attach to the HID module screws.

The end-all DRL modification-img_7876-jpgThe end-all DRL modification-img_7877-jpg

I was going to post a video of operation, but its hard to shoot that video on my iPhone because the flashing lights wash out the color as it tries to auto-compensate for brightness. Oh well!

Next? probably playing with the Class 2 bus to see if I can manipulate the HUD with a (future) after-market radio upgrade.

2. Likes long Tall Sally liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

move that heat sink. it will melt the housing. Plus add heat to the control module that already burns out from too much heat.Even the ones mounted inside the fender wells about 1 to 2 inches away from the fiberglass have been know to melt the smc inner structures.

ok reading again you may have moved it. sorry to jump quick but I know what that will do seen some nice lights ruined. I just installed led bulbs by themselves and they work just like they should. I have no problem with them on when driving. Help make the little tiny side light look better. they blink just like they should without any other mods.
    Not sure about your circuit board but it does look fantastic just don't get what its supposed to do?
    Last edited by long Tall Sally; 01-06-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 Crystal Red XLR-V

So, to clarify, your bulbs are white for DRL and blink amber? Because the switchback bulbs I bought would not do that without the extra circuitry.

5. Likes long Tall Sally liked this post
    The end-all DRL modification Mark0polo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Raven Black XLR-V

Impressive! Nice work getting a fix in before the lenses yellow!
    The world is run by those who show up!

7. Likes long Tall Sally liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)

I sure don’t have the knowledge to do any technical critique but WOW! That’s impressive!

yep, I drive a hybrid - a V8 bred for high speed!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Custom hood & trunk liner
    Zaino polish

9. Likes long Tall Sally liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Black Raven XLR-V; 1996 Eldorado ESC-V

I went the easy route with mine. I installed 10K LED bulbs for the DRLs and rerouted my wiring so the side marker lights (under the orange lenses on the sides of the headlamp housing) are my turn signals.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Currently 510rwhp and 546TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550
    ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo... with a Jet Pack"

ECTA Land Speed Racing Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car
    Texas Mile XLR-V Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 165.6MPH
    2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/11-02-2013/19AtQ_.gif
    "If and when you start making bigger power, you will find you will do things less "Your way" and more the "right way" or you will spend a lot of time making repairs you can avoid."

11. Thanks Mark0polo thanked for this post