Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Post Thanks / Like

Default Front Shocks replaced, still creeking

Front shocks were making all kinds of noise over speed bumps. Replaced the front shocks and itís a lot better but it feels like itís still creeking over speed bumps. What else could it be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Steve O'; 09-02-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Default may be

spring ride height adjusters. The rubber goes bad and they move around a bit

3. Likes Thunderbuck liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Question creaking noises

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytee View Post

I get creaking noises in the front end,(suspension?) when driving slowly and turning and maneuvering in parking lots. Is this attributed to the Spring Height Adjusters?? If so tell me what to look for to see them. Where are they located, and what do they look like?

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Question Spring Height Rubbers

l
    I assume to replace them one would have to remove the coil spring, or compress it enough to get the new one in place? Are these available for purchase? Part number??

Post Thanks / Like

This?

7. Thanks Mark0polo thanked for this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Default correct

yes. look at them and see how they look. If the metal is making contact with the spring that will do it. It is a bit of work to install them. you have to lift the car and drop the upper control arm or remove the lower ball joint nit to let the side droop enough to unscrew them. I think there is a post on here or the corvette forum about the way to do it. I seem to be able to find more information by searching on google with the question and then put forum after it. I do not have results when I use the advanced search feature here for some reason

9. Likes Mark0polo liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Question installing spring adjusters

yes. look at them and see how they look. If the metal is making contact with the spring that will do it. It is a bit of work to install them. you have to lift the car and drop the upper control arm or remove the lower ball joint nit to let the side droop enough to unscrew them. I think there is a post on here or the corvette forum about the way to do it. I seem to be able to find more information by searching on google with the question and then put forum after it. I do not have results when I use the advanced search feature here for some reason

Mickeytee, would you be so kind as to tell me the exact phrase to google. you know how google is, if you don't word something just right, you don't get what you are looking for.

Front Shocks replaced, still creeking rexster314's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Base Infrared

12. Thanks Mark0polo thanked for this post
    Likes mickeytee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would this cause the service ride control light to come on if they are worn?

I got new shocks up front, still making some noise but less than it was and now my service ride control light is on which wasnít in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Base Infrared

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O' View Post
    Would this cause the service ride control light to come on if they are worn?

I got new shocks up front, still making some noise but less than it was and now my service ride control light is on which wasnít in the first place.

Did you replace with factory XLR shocks? Quite possible one of the plug wires have become unplugged. Or one of the height sensors is on the fritz. It will look like this

15. Thanks Mark0polo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would the computer show the height sensor is throwing the code? I bought AC Delco shocks from Amazon. I believe they are the OEM manufacturer.

We had to take it back and they cleared it out but it came back on two days later.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Base Infrared

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O' View Post
    Would the computer show the height sensor is throwing the code? I bought AC Delco shocks from Amazon. I believe they are the OEM manufacturer.

We had to take it back and they cleared it out but it came back on two days later.

A TECH II can check if ride height sensors are operational or not

18. Likes Mark0polo liked this post