Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

06 raven black

Default ALTERNATE TAIL LIGHT

HELLO ALL I M NEW TO THIS SITE . BEFORE YOU CADILLAC OEM ONLY GUYS HANG ME. ABOUT THIS TAIL LAMP I WAS IN A PICKLE INSURANCE WAS GOING TO SALVAGE IT FOR A MISHAP OF A BROKE TAIL LAMP AND SCRATCHED UP DOOR FOR$ 12,000 . I WASNT READY TO GIVE UP SOMETHING I HAD $90.000 IN TO SO I CUT A DEAL AND KEPT THE CAR THEN WAS DROPPED. WHEN IT COMES TO ALL THE ISSUES WITH THE TAIL LAMPS IM FIGURING $2500 THEN A SOON TO COME REBUILD$800 AND THE POSSIBLE GLASS BREAKING WHEN THEY CRACK IT OPEN THEN OTHER THINGS BOTHERED ME ABOUT THE SHOPPING CART ROLLING IN TO IT AND ALSO AFRAID OF THEM BEING RIPPED OFF.WHAT HAPPENED TO WHEN WE COULD BUY A HEADLAMP FOR$ 12.00 . ANYWAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH I TOOK THE TAIL LAMP AND USED IT AS THE CASING AND PUT SEALED APPROVE LIGHTS INSIDE AND PAINTED THE FIBERGLASS CASING SAME COLOR AS CAR NOTHING BRILLIANT JUST A SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM THAT WORKS FOR ME AT THIS TIME. TO ME THERE IS NOT A CAR ON THE ROAD THAT HAS THE STYLING THESE CARS HAVE CADILLAC REALLY LET US DOWN.IM NOT IN TO TRYING TO SELL TAIL LAMPS BUT IF SOME ONE IN THE SAME SITUATION I WAS IN ,I WOULD SEE WHAT I CAN DO.THANK YOU FOR READING CLAYMAN
    Attached Images Attached Images ALTERNATE TAIL LIGHT-20190630_003438-jpg ALTERNATE TAIL LIGHT-20190630_011124-jpg 

2. Likes rmatt, beaver_jd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Black Raven, Ebony

Welcome to the site. I congratulate you on keeping your baby on the road and not headed to the junk yard over a taillight. It gives you time for someone coming up with an alternate solution for our cars and our tail light and headlight issues.

Just a little forum etiquette tip(or any online communication). When a message is in all caps, as your message is, it is the equivalent of yelling at someone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mods
    Corsa Exhaust
    Rear Sway Bar
    Eline Drilled and Slotted Rotors
    Infrared/Silver powder coated calipers
    Embroidered Trunk Lid Liner

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Blue Steel XLR

WAY TO GO!! Sorry....don't mean to yell.

5. Likes long Tall Sally liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Red XLR / 2007 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by clayman View Post
    HELLO ALL I M NEW TO THIS SITE . BEFORE YOU CADILLAC OEM ONLY GUYS HANG ME. ABOUT THIS TAIL LAMP I WAS IN A PICKLE INSURANCE WAS GOING TO SALVAGE IT FOR A MISHAP OF A BROKE TAIL LAMP AND SCRATCHED UP DOOR FOR$ 12,000 . I WASNT READY TO GIVE UP SOMETHING I HAD $90.000 IN TO SO I CUT A DEAL AND KEPT THE CAR THEN WAS DROPPED. WHEN IT COMES TO ALL THE ISSUES WITH THE TAIL LAMPS IM FIGURING $2500 THEN A SOON TO COME REBUILD$800 AND THE POSSIBLE GLASS BREAKING WHEN THEY CRACK IT OPEN THEN OTHER THINGS BOTHERED ME ABOUT THE SHOPPING CART ROLLING IN TO IT AND ALSO AFRAID OF THEM BEING RIPPED OFF.WHAT HAPPENED TO WHEN WE COULD BUY A HEADLAMP FOR$ 12.00 . ANYWAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH I TOOK THE TAIL LAMP AND USED IT AS THE CASING AND PUT SEALED APPROVE LIGHTS INSIDE AND PAINTED THE FIBERGLASS CASING SAME COLOR AS CAR NOTHING BRILLIANT JUST A SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM THAT WORKS FOR ME AT THIS TIME. TO ME THERE IS NOT A CAR ON THE ROAD THAT HAS THE STYLING THESE CARS HAVE CADILLAC REALLY LET US DOWN.IM NOT IN TO TRYING TO SELL TAIL LAMPS BUT IF SOME ONE IN THE SAME SITUATION I WAS IN ,I WOULD SEE WHAT I CAN DO.THANK YOU FOR READING CLAYMAN
    I really like what you have done. I hope you can make these available to others that need tail lights. Maybe your next project can be headlights. Where in California are you located ?
    John F.

7. Likes long Tall Sally liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

not bad at all. at least you did not ruin a good light by hacking it up

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

06 raven black

no hacking i know these lites get put in ovens drilled on cut up patched . copy mine was all i had intended for this plastic gold nugget

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

06 raven black

Thank you for your input and i am now aware of the caps thing. Thank you again Clayman

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

06 raven black

John im located in corona california next door to orange county

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

06 raven black

I KNOW NOW! just kidding i know all about the caps thing now

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

long Tall Sally, I think what Clayman has done is a helluva job. We all think we need someone to manufacture identical lights and clearly we don't. Clayman used the casing and went from there. You could do the same thing with the headlights. Headlight and tail lights have been a huge issue with these cars and I am not so sure it needs to be. I love my XLR's and now I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.
    John F.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

John im located in corona california next door to orange county
    Clayman, I spend my winters in Palm Springs and I would sure like to visit you next winter or meet you somewhere and see your car and what you have done.
    John F.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

apparently people do not know how to read on this site. You see I gave him a thumbs up for a like. I said it looks good . At least that way he did it , he did not ruin an original light that can be repaired by a professional to better than new shape in many instances. With professional they do not drill on cut up or otherwise damage a light so that it cannot be restored at a future date when it may be worth it to do. Professionals do not put them in an oven that can cause more damage now and future damage. They use a chemical release to remove the outer lens from the housing. A friend of mine that used to be on here had a beautiful light he made by using a smaller Cadillac taillight mounted into a frame similar to what this poster did. he made me a couple that I installed on one car I sold. 500$ for a pair. A great deal.They actually looked better than the factory XLR lights. He was in the process of having sets made until certain people here that like to troll but have never made a single thing for the cars just thrived on beating him down. Clayman did a very good option here. Not sure of why the yellow as that went away many years ago but that could easily be changed to red. IMO. I may have read his post wrong. I thought he made a fiberglass housing to mount the round lights in. If someone wants to do this to a set of broken lights , sounds great .

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

06 raven black

i made these lights replaceable for any one also i chose a light that was generic you can pick up in any parts store autozone etc these are also these are dot and fmvv approved with built in side markers reflectors the light has 2 red lights the orange was a stand in till in get more red l.e.d.s

Post Thanks / Like

i made these lights replaceable for any one also i chose a light that was generic you can pick up in any parts store autozone etc these are also these are dot and fmvv approved with built in side markers reflectors the light has 2 red lights the orange was a stand in till in get more red l.e.d.s
    Great advances have been made in Digital Printing plastic and now metal parts. Perhaps someone will perfect a system for the XLR Lighting. Time to get appraisal done!

18. Likes carterchapman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Black Excaliber

I would like to have a set of anything that would work in my car. Anyone develops something, please let me know. I am on the paid list with Travis but am till waiting and do not know how long I will be waiting but I would rather have something like the first post. Looks good and easy to change bulbs. Please help. Clayman, can you get me a set of these lights made?
    Thanks, Phil
    Last edited by PLH; 09-06-2019 at 08:34 AM.