Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

sad but pretty much what they told me for the last year. there is a couple used ones on ebay for 350 each. I doubt I would go that route

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Raven Black XLR

Those valves are just long enough to hit the radiator when being pulled out. Techs who actually has done this job, will know this. Also few techs will do this because of the actuator gasket issue GM caused.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

I will have to check that out .My friendly tech at Cadillac did one a while back for one of my customers as it was a warranty pay. I had installed a new 3 core aluminum radiator in the car which is thicker than stock and he did not pull that radiator. I will have to ask him how he got by without so I know. I know he replaced the actuators at the same time because they bend I believe due to being siliconed on. if you are talking about the round electrical part that leaks oil at the plug. I don't think its going to be an issue for anybody as it appears there are not going to be any available anywhere so the cars will just get parked .

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Raven Black XLR

I would like to have seen your tech get those out without removing the radiator. There is barely enough room to remove the actuators. Lets see if he's the real deal: Ask him what the 24 hour requirement is for in this service procedure. Even better what is his favorite actuator alignment tool - hint: it's a trick question only a real tech will know about. Let's get dirty, people.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 XLR

A will have to remember the tool question. Since I have an extended warranty on the car, the Cadillac dealer already got the repair approved. So now it's just finding the part before the warranty ends.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Raven Black XLR

Was thinking, the upper driver side valve can be removed without removing the radiator. My bad (sorry long Tall Sally). The upper passenger side valve can be too but you have to disconnect the power steering reservoir. The bottom two...maybe a midget with four hands. The problem is if one valve is problematic, all four should be checked hence the radiator removal idea I got hung up on.

Poss 1:The valve is a simple robust sleeve design and is probably just fouled with dirty oil. Someone before you may have missed an oil change too often. I think they can be cleaned (haven't done that but have looked at them) and not need to be replaced.

Poss 2: If the actuator is not getting proper signal or the actuator magnet is damaged (1/$), the scan tool will say it's the valve ($$$$^2). A dealer tech that doesn't care will send you on a expensive goose chase.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

Z1 have you changed a magnet before? I seem to remember that you damage the actuator getting it off. I was also wondering what got damaged on the valve. does not seem to have moving parts. A local caddy shop says he has several core engines so I may go by and take one off to see what its all about. They are on the floor so they may be easy to remove. At 350 each used on ebay I don't think its a waste of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Raven Black XLR

I have, a few times. You need to destroy them to get them off because GM stole the design from BMW (hence the "Made In Germany," labels on them) which wisely uses disposable gaskets. GM hard siliconizes them on. Profanity and a Dremel ensue because you do not want to nick the engine cover metal (never get a seal again). And about 80 lbs. of force to remove, which is always fun in a delicate area.

I have never seen a damaged valve, they always look brand (no rust-always coated in oil) new even in high mileage engines. It's definitely a moving part: Outer metal jacket with sliding inner perforated sleeve.

I like the Insurance Auto Auctions, walk around the vehicle, see what was damaged, (employees help to start the engine) what isn't. I saw a blue XLR-V at Manheim in Oceanside last month that said water damaged, had salvage titled; but just looked perfect. Wouldn't start though, not even the light on the start button with a new battery. Went for 8k though. I think it show up in a few months on Auto Trader as: "An Old Man's last ride- In Mint Condition."

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

I contacted the owner of one in Texas that was a flood car. he said water was up over the bottom of the seats. It was on ebay by a dealer in NC that deals in xlr's and listed as "very small water in trunk area" No water anywhere inside the car. The owner saw that ad and called his insurance company USAA to report the car as Fraud. Never did hear what happened. It would be interesting to find out what Dorman rebuilds? I am sure the reason they are not selling them is they have no cores if they cannot manufacture the whole part.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Raven Black XLR

I have had bad luck with Dorman, especially thier rebuilt throttle body's.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 XLR

Good info. Still cant find this part on ebay, craigslists, etc. I have seen xlr engines (still on bodies) for sale on ebay, but not near me. I will continue to call Dorman for updates.
    Last edited by heggstrom; 11-08-2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Update.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

ebay listing shows someone just bought two used ones for 325 each
    They fit srx sts and xlr all with 4.6 engines it shows from 2004 -2010

Cadillac STS Oil Control Valve | eBay

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 XLR

Thanks for the info. I looked up the listing and no more were available. I did contact the seller and hopefully they can find more.