Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 XLR 4.6L

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas.brady View Post
    I'm posting this because after a long search online, I found nobody who had this issue, despite the Cadillac dealer telling me that this is a "common" problem.

This is my 05 XLR, it started to get some wind noise and I figured a seal had started to wear. Dealer looked at it and said the same and recommended a silicon product for the roof seal.

Then while driving down the highway at around 70mph, the roof panel flew off the car. Thankfully it didn't hit anyone or cause an accident.

So, make sure you get your wind noise checked. Apparently this was an issue with Corvettes around that time, but I've seen nothing on the XLR.

Attachment 4613
    my grandpa's 2004 XLR lost it's roof we were only going 45-50MPH (we had about 5-10mph head wind) when it was lost..
    tailgaters on the single lane highway we were on.
    we did search for it. for an hour and did locate the top

the adhesive on the plastic and was cleanly ripped from car(no adhesive on the car )
    it started ripping from the driver side (since you could hear wind whistling from that side prior to it ripping off)

the panel is toast heavily scratched up. probably not reusable it looked like it was part of a roll over accident...

I was even recording a video prior to it coming off and you can hear the wind noise on the video
    And did catch the loss of it on video ( but not the panel flying away)
    Attached Images Attached Images Roof panel detached while driving-20171122_133744aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-jpg 
    Last edited by XLR_04; 11-23-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 XLR 4.6L

Quote Originally Posted by XLR_04 View Post
    my grandpa's 2004 XLR lost it's roof we were only going 45-50MPH (we had about 5-10mph head wind) when it was lost..
    tailgaters on the single lane highway we were on.
    we did search for it. for an hour and did locate the top

the adhesive on the plastic and was cleanly ripped from car(no adhesive on the car )
    it started ripping from the driver side (since you could hear wind whistling from that side prior to it ripping off)

the panel is toast heavily scratched up. probably not reusable it looked like it was part of a roll over accident...

I was even recording a video prior to it coming off and you can hear the wind noise on the video
    And did catch the loss of it on video ( but not the panel flying away)
    looks like there is a new top version available that is bolted on, look like the insurance will cover it amount of $3,200 ouch.. minus $500 deductable

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Default lucky

Quote Originally Posted by XLR_04 View Post
    looks like there is a new top version available that is bolted on, look like the insurance will cover it amount of $3,200 ouch.. minus $500 deductable
    You are lucky you got an adjuster that would pay for it. Its actually not a covered loss. Unless you say something hit it ,its not covered under collision as the car cannot collide with itself. its also not a covered loss under comprehensive as their Is a specific exclusion called inherent vice that excludes payment for it blowing off. Without that exclusion water pumps, fan belts , transmissions a cracked dash all maintenance items could be covered. The new roof carries the same part number they have always had. I am not sure they bolted the outer skin on. You are just getting the whole top assembly without trim and it bolts on. The panel bond that the factory used can be removed with heat but its supposed to be more than just the sun will do. Good luck and be thankful you are only out 500$

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 XLR 4.6L

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytee View Post
    You are lucky you got an adjuster that would pay for it. Its actually not a covered loss. Unless you say something hit it ,its not covered under collision as the car cannot collide with itself. its also not a covered loss under comprehensive as their Is a specific exclusion called inherent vice that excludes payment for it blowing off. Without that exclusion water pumps, fan belts , transmissions a cracked dash all maintenance items could be covered. The new roof carries the same part number they have always had. I am not sure they bolted the outer skin on. You are just getting the whole top assembly without trim and it bolts on. The panel bond that the factory used can be removed with heat but its supposed to be more than just the sun will do. Good luck and be thankful you are only out 500$
    correction it's only 2500 minus the 500 deductible..

"they claimed to have never seen anything like it before." so they have nothing "about it" in the policy.

of not being covered..
    Last edited by XLR_04; 12-12-2017 at 09:42 PM.

5. Likes Smoothran liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Default insurance

Just be glad you have an adjuster that does not know the policy. It is an exclusion in all 50 states. I worked in underwriting when I was younger. Just do not make an issue if they charge you more at the shop when its done. if it get s a supervisor involved , haha he may know what is covered. You could say someone stole it but then you would have to file a police report. Its lost but that is not a auto coverage because of the way it was lost. HAHA, Grandad is living right to get this one covered

Post Thanks / Like

Mickeytee, it's alright to admit you're not correct about all things insurance. Sometimes they do the right thing.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

8. Likes rexster314 liked this post
    Dislikes mickeytee disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 XLR 4.6L

Just be glad you have an adjuster that does not know the policy. It is an exclusion in all 50 states. I worked in underwriting when I was younger. Just do not make an issue if they charge you more at the shop when its done. if it get s a supervisor involved , haha he may know what is covered. You could say someone stole it but then you would have to file a police report. Its lost but that is not a auto coverage because of the way it was lost. HAHA, Grandad is living right to get this one covered

that would not work since they saw it the shop

He is on a grandfathered legacy insurance policy.. which does cover it. he has been with them quite a while. since the 80s I think
    Last edited by XLR_04; 12-13-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothran View Post
    Mickeytee, it's alright to admit you're not correct about all things insurance. Sometimes they do the right thing.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    well lets put it this way. I am not incorrect about what is covered under the policy .I testify in court on Policy coverage about 8-10 times a year. Lets just say, Like I did that he is lucky. It does not matter if it is a new policy or one you have had for 80 years. The policies almost all in almost every state are controlled by the Dept of insurance and cover mostly the same things. Now you can get an all peril policy form some of the collector companies that cover almost anything. In this case, had they denied coverage for a "non covered loss", (A mechanical failure of the adhesive), and you wanted to sue, You would lose.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 XLR 4.6L

well lets put it this way. I am not incorrect about what is covered under the policy .I testify in court on Policy coverage about 8-10 times a year. Lets just say, Like I did that he is lucky. It does not matter if it is a new policy or one you have had for 80 years. The policies almost all in almost every state are controlled by the Dept of insurance and cover mostly the same things. Now you can get an all peril policy form some of the collector companies that cover almost anything. In this case, had they denied coverage for a "non covered loss", (A mechanical failure of the adhesive), and you wanted to sue, You would lose.
    they covered it though

I think it was because the panel had damaged from scraping the ground . they did not pay for the adhesive though...
    Last edited by XLR_04; 07-06-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Crimson Pearl XLR

Question Question,,,,,

Quote: "I think it was because the panel had damaged from scraping the ground ........ they did not pay for the adhesive though... "

Did they use Gorilla Glue?

j/kidding ,,,, Glad it was covered..... that had to be a nightmare
    http://www.xlr-net.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6664&d=1473338578