Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Difficult to open door easy fix

Just got my 2006 XLR. Passenger door difficult to get open. Watched video on Corvette C6 site.
    2 screws to remove pad. 6 screws to open. Clean with emery and reinstall. Took less than 10 minutes and works like new. Easy fix to a repeated daily irritation.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 black raven xlr-v

Can you describe difficult to open?
    xlr-v the car that returns the favor, when you turn it on

Post Thanks / Like

When I tried to use my fingers to press the pad to pop the door open it took several attempts. I would have to move my fingers around and apply significant pressure to get the door to pop. Now it opens easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 black raven xlr-v

Thanks 65 tuxedo
    xlr-v the car that returns the favor, when you turn it on

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Actually my drivers side is doing the same. You don't have a link for the video do you? Searching over there on that site isn't awesome.
    "That's right, Dollar Signs"

Post Thanks / Like

I stumbled onto the thread and I would not recommend it. I could repair both of your doors and drink a beer before you could watch the entire video!

It is really simple. Just remove the two phillips screws and pull the little unit out from the door.
    Raise the little clip on the electrical connection and separate it. I took the unit into the house so I would not
    lose the little screws on the back. Use a tiny phillips and remove those six screws and the rubber pad will be released.
    You will see the copper connectors. I cleaned mine with emery cloth but a wire brush or anything
    mildly abrasive would work. I made the contact points shiny and put it back together.
    If you have the emery cloth or brush ready, the entire repair will take only a couple of minutes.
    I could do one in the time I have taken to write
    this. It's very easy. Also, A new one is just $12 or so on Ebay.
    Then it would just be two screws and the connection.
    I ordered a pair, but I probably won't use them right away.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Liquid Amethyst

can you describe how a good functioning door switch works.
    when i touch mine it takes a second to drop the window and unlatch the door.
    if i pull too fast the door doesnt open. i think its the latch not opened yet.
    i know to wait a sec and then pull the door open.
    i do not have to press hard on the switch, or move around.
    it just seems to be a split second slow.
    is that how they all are?
    i know to go slow, but all my passengers, seem to take two tries to open the door.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2009 Radiant Silver XLR

I have had the same experience, I have no problem opening the door but passengers seem to have to try a couple of times. Which irks me when I see the expression on their face

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2013 Graphite Metallic XTS Platinum

There's a slight delay between pushing the exterior/interior door switch and the time the door latch disengages to allow the widow to index.

CC

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Liquid Amethyst

i think its just the electronic door opening is a split second slower than a manual latch would be, plus it has to drop the window.
    its a high tech gadget type setup, cool idea, but real world execution actually worse than a simple manual lever.
    the only part that makes it really necessary is the window drop.
    could have been engineered out. but they engineered it in on purpose for the cool factor of electronic door handles!
    with all the battery issues, and having to manually open from the trunk etc
    manual door handles would have been soooooo much better.
    hindsight is 20/20
    KISS principle should always be applied to any problem. engineers dont usually remember this when designing things.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)

Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    i think its just the electronic door opening is a split second slower than a manual latch would be, plus it has to drop the window.
    its a high tech gadget type setup, cool idea, but real world execution actually worse than a simple manual lever.
    the only part that makes it really necessary is the window drop.
    could have been engineered out. but they engineered it in on purpose for the cool factor of electronic door handles!
    with all the battery issues, and having to manually open from the trunk etc
    manual door handles would have been soooooo much better.
    hindsight is 20/20
    KISS principle should always be applied to any problem. engineers dont usually remember this when designing things.
    They actually got it much better later - my 2013 CTS coupe is almost instantaneous on the window indexing on opening & closing, & the door pad is much more responsive.

Our 2008 Mustang, which has completely manual door handles, also has window indexing, & it has the same lag time as the XLR's. My understanding is that the indexing is needed to account for tighter window fit-in (I know that's not the right term but you get the point) for aerodynamic purposes. I'm sure there are others on here who know this much better than me & can give a better explanation. Based on the Mustang I don't think indexing is related to electronic door handles.

yep, I drive a hybrid - a V8 bred for high speed!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Custom hood & trunk liner
    Zaino polish

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2013 Graphite Metallic XTS Platinum

Timely thread; I've been trying to help someone with a related problem.

The XLR's windows have two built-in functions that are controlled by their respective door modules: Normalization and Indexing. Normalization is the process of calibrating the window position when a door latch button is depressed. The upper-most window position is called the Zero Position. All calibration is derived from the Zero Position. The Zero Position is determined by one of two things - the Anti-Trap location (if something blocks the window from raising and an over-current condition is detected) or the window position switch is held for greater than half a second when it's raised to it's highest position. If the Anti-Trap feature is enabled, that location becomes the new Zero Position.

Indexing occurs when a door switch is activated. The window glass should drop about 4 mm until the door position switch is depressed, and will raise again after the door position switch indicates the door is not ajar/open. The whole point of Indexing is to effect a watertight and acoustic seal between the window and roof. There's a slight delay for the door latch to open as the sensors communicate via the Class 2 bus with the door module to determine where everything is. Occasionally, I have to prod the door switch pad a few times to get it to open, but the system works pretty well for what it is. This was a pretty cool feature when it first came out.

CC
    Last edited by ccclarke; 02-15-2015 at 09:35 AM.

13. Thanks XLRATING thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)

See, I knew someone on here could do a better job explaining than me - Thanks CC!

yep, I drive a hybrid - a V8 bred for high speed!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Custom hood & trunk liner
    Zaino polish

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Crimson Pearl XLR

There is some great information in John McCormicks book Cadillac XLR explaining the process and how they had to work to "speed up" the process.

Everyone should read this book. It really helps you understand the car much better.

You KNOW what it is!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Black 2004

Quote Originally Posted by SJP View Post
    I have had the same experience, I have no problem opening the door but passengers seem to have to try a couple of times. Which irks me when I see the expression on their face
    I fixed this myself and I am not very mechanically adept. Just watch the video at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCTu-mQUSMQ

If you don't want to do that, buy one for $13.00 on ebay. Just watch the video for how to replace it without cleaning the old one and just replace the module with the new part.

05 13 C6 Corvette 04 09 XLR New GM Updated Door Latch Release Switch 22751230 | eBay

Both doors honestly took me less than 30 minutes utilizing my Dremel. My doors were barely opening and now they open with ease.

17. Likes AmyBeck liked this post
    Dislikes AmyBeck disliked this post