Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Leaking radiator problem
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Black XLR, 2013 XTS Platinum Black Diamond Tricoat

Default Leaking radiator problem

So the last 3-4 weeks, my 2005 XLR(32K miles) has been leaking radiator fluid from the reservoir connection to the radiator, I think. It never leaked more then 1/4 to 1/2 a gallon when i drove, and it seemed only the reservoir was loosing fluid. I was going to bring to Cadillac next week, its not my every day driver. Yesterday, after driving about 10 miles, I filled the reservoir and left the cap off over night and the hood up in my garage. I usually do not leave the cap off, but figured I would check the level today. This morning, 5-6 gallons of fluid had leaked out of the radiator under the car onto my garage floor. Any ideas before I refill and bring to dealership?

Leaking radiator problem rexster314's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Base Infrared

Quote Originally Posted by xlrwoody View Post
    So the last 3-4 weeks, my 2005 XLR(32K miles) has been leaking radiator fluid from the reservoir connection to the radiator, I think. It never leaked more then 1/4 to 1/2 a gallon when i drove, and it seemed only the reservoir was loosing fluid. I was going to bring to Cadillac next week, its not my every day driver. Yesterday, after driving about 10 miles, I filled the reservoir and left the cap off over night and the hood up in my garage. I usually do not leave the cap off, but figured I would check the level today. This morning, 5-6 gallons of fluid had leaked out of the radiator under the car onto my garage floor. Any ideas before I refill and bring to dealership?

Most leaks appear to be huge, but not really. The cooling system only holds 12.6 qts/3.15 gallons. Leaving the cap off shows that left to itself, the coolant will leak from the lowest spot. How much did it take to refill the system?I'd suspect something else that's located lower than the coolant reservoir if the entire amount of coolant drained out. The empty reservoir indicates a leak somewhere else and the tank is being drained into the engine itself. Are there any signs of leakage around the tank? Kinda wet and oily/slick? I'd suspect your radiator if the answer is no.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

'16 Z06, "06 XLR-V Infra Red-Sold, RII, RIII & RIV survivor, Mdwst Maurader

It is a known problem on '04-'05 models and the remedy is having the radiator replaced; which they now use the heavier duty V model radiator as the replacement. the '04-'05's unit leak at the tank on the drivers side.

Quote Originally Posted by xlrwoody View Post

Cubby558

"If you want to blend in, Ride the Bus"

Leaking radiator problem
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Thanks for the replies. I am going to auto parts store now to get a DexCool and refill radiator. I will let you know how much it takes. I have appt to drop at dealer on Friday and did read all the other posts about 05 radiators having problems.

Leaking radiator problem
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

So the leak is just where you said it would be, on left drivers side radiator. So since the labor was expensive and involved to replace the radiator, had the thermostat and water pump done also. $1700 estimate including charging the AC. Car should be ready tomorrow so hopefully it stays at that.
    Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 Goldstream

Default Quick Connect Leak

I have a radiator leak at what appears to be the upper quick connect located on the drivers side leading to the generator. I would assume that this is the high pressure side. My question is how to properly repair this do I A) replace the quick connect? B) replace the hose assembly from the generator, C) replace the radiator? I read about the problems that everyone else has had and it appears that the majority of people replace the radiator, but that does not seem to be the problem here. Is what I am seeing on my vehicle the correct and limited problem? Thank you.

Leaking radiator problem
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Mine was on the radiator top drivers side corner and the welds had come apart. Knew I had to change mine. I am sure someone on here will give you suggestions. This site has made owning my XLR so much more enjoyable and saved me quite a bit of money on repairs also. Good luck.

And PS, once I had the knew xlr-v radiator, new thermostat and water pump put in the car, its running great. I love in South Florida so car gets hot quickly

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 Goldstream

Smile Quick Connect Leak

Well the verdict is in, it was a radiator leak. Took her to the garage, and they said that the radiator was split. Replaced the radiator, and she is back on the road.