Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Xenon Blue

Default Failed Folding Top Control Module?

Just as summer arrives, tragedy strikes...
    The rear compartment on my ’06 became flooded. The trunk will not raise or lower and hydraulics are not operationing. The button in the trunk lid to lower is non functional. The trunk button the cabin will release the latch mechanism when then trunk has is closed manually but trunk does not move. With the trunk open, pressing the open/close roof button cause the message “Top Motor Over Temp” on DIT. Would this be symptomatic of a failed Folding Top Control? Has any had success of drying out the FTC and resuming operation without an expensive repair?

If so, can anyone provide an estimated cost to repair? Since the XLR has been out of production for 9 years, finding a qualified XLR tech is probably pretty rare. I’m in the Philadelphia area. If anyone knows of a dealer w/ XLR Tech on staff in South East PA, Southern New Jersey, please let me know.

I'd be okay with driving with top up for awhile, but the Check Engine Light is one. My OBD device is reporting communication errors U1305, U1088, U1193, U1096, U1153, U1098 & U1129 as the cause. I thinks it's all related to FTC issue, but PA inspection is due is a few weeks and it won't pass with CEL on.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

boy that's a whole lot of codes. Looks like all of them have to do with communication with the dash, amp and other stuff. DId your passenger floor board also get wet? BAttery up to good charge level? check that ground on the rear drivers side frame. Other than that seems like the ride control and top controls may be down. I don't think drying them out solves the problem . There are electrical people on here who can help.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 xlr

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck in PA View Post
    Just as summer arrives, tragedy strikes...
    The rear compartment on my ’06 became flooded. The trunk will not raise or lower and hydraulics are not operationing. The button in the trunk lid to lower is non functional. The trunk button the cabin will release the latch mechanism when then trunk has is closed manually but trunk does not move. With the trunk open, pressing the open/close roof button cause the message “Top Motor Over Temp” on DIT. Would this be symptomatic of a failed Folding Top Control? Has any had success of drying out the FTC and resuming operation without an expensive repair?

If so, can anyone provide an estimated cost to repair? Since the XLR has been out of production for 9 years, finding a qualified XLR tech is probably pretty rare. I’m in the Philadelphia area. If anyone knows of a dealer w/ XLR Tech on staff in South East PA, Southern New Jersey, please let me know.

I'd be okay with driving with top up for awhile, but the Check Engine Light is one. My OBD device is reporting communication errors U1305, U1088, U1193, U1096, U1153, U1098 & U1129 as the cause. I thinks it's all related to FTC issue, but PA inspection is due is a few weeks and it won't pass with CEL on.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    I have a new FTCM if you are interested. My top was giving me trouble a few years back and the Stealership said it was the folding top module. They wanted almost $2000 to fix. I ordered the part for $600 myself and ended up putting a Tech 2 to see what codes were pulling. It ended up being the microswitch on the windshield passenger side. $50 repair myself. If you need a new FTCM, I can sell mine for less than half... $200 PM me if interested. Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Maroon XLR

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Did you clear all your DTC codes and restart to see if they are in fact part of this issue?

The DTC will normally stay until cleared as history items. So they may not be related at all to the issue you are currently having.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Xenon Blue

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytee View Post
    boy that's a whole lot of codes. Looks like all of them have to do with communication with the dash, amp and other stuff. DId your passenger floor board also get wet? BAttery up to good charge level? check that ground on the rear drivers side frame. Other than that seems like the ride control and top controls may be down. I don't think drying them out solves the problem . There are electrical people on here who can help.
    Drying out the FTCM was only wishful thinking. I did however get the codes to clear.
    Thanks for your help.
    Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Xenon Blue

Quote Originally Posted by stormshadow71 View Post
    I have a new FTCM if you are interested. My top was giving me trouble a few years back and the Stealership said it was the folding top module. They wanted almost $2000 to fix. I ordered the part for $600 myself and ended up putting a Tech 2 to see what codes were pulling. It ended up being the microswitch on the windshield passenger side. $50 repair myself. If you need a new FTCM, I can sell mine for less than half... $200 PM me if interested. Sorry I can't be of more help to you.
    Thanks for the offer of the FTCM. I may take you up on it.
    Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Xenon Blue

Quote Originally Posted by mbrund View Post
    Did you clear all your DTC codes and restart to see if they are in fact part of this issue?

The DTC will normally stay until cleared as history items. So they may not be related at all to the issue you are currently having.
    I cleared and restarted a couple of times. Then I drove car for 10-15 mins, cleared codes again, and they have not resurfaced.
    Thanks for your help
    Chuck

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Default great wishing

Drying out the FTCM was only wishful thinking. I did however get the codes to clear.
    Thanks for your help.
    Chuck
    that's fantastic. You must have "wished upon a star"
    you must have gotten them as soon as they got wet and no power on them. The ones I have seen have been fried and corroded. Will have to try that the next time I see one

Post Thanks / Like

for what its worth i recently purchased a new ecu for the conv top from ebay. for $400 so they are out there again..
    he had a few avail.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Default body control module

thats good to know. However on a sad note GM is out of the body control modules and the price is back to 1500 from 400 they were going for. This time Idont think they will make any more as they are also out and none being made for the corvette. So keep your old wet ones in case we can find someone to rebuild them.