Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 silver XLR

Had the retractable top check…... all joins are looking tights with no apperances of air coming in the car.

The service writer check for a recall from GM for US or canada XLR cars, the screen file shows empty.

It looks that GM waits that major accident will happened, since our cars represent a such small volume on the roads, the feel is that the roads security is not at a hi level of danger….what sadness is in it.

If you love hy speed make sure that the roof is in the trunk, or that the roof is bolt on its frame as our cars gets ages it needs to be ''secure'' , the GM glue is not sufficient with time.

IAN

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

since its an issue on dark cars only and in the hotter areas exposed to sun heat, It will be by a case by case. They will not issue a recall. They are letting the cars just die off as wrecked or flooded and will have fewer and fewer to deal with in the future. It is not an issue of time. Its an issue of heat cycles that is causing the failures. This is the same bonding materials used back in 93 forward on the saturns without any failures .the tops on those also were bolted and bonded and were metal that displaced the heat better. Just read all about it over on the corvette forums. In depth stories there.
    Last edited by long Tall Sally; 05-10-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 silver XLR

I have the feeling that GM would love to eliminate all the XLR with the same they did with their first electric car of the 80s, they are mostly wild money makers and just care for their share holder$$$$$.

The Cadillac buyers for them is just a side line, of course they says they care but in the reality the XLR owners knows that they are just for the not always real news….Trump would call it ''fake''.

There is a way to reinforce the light and dark colors XLR.... secure the top with stainless steel bolts and since the roof is made of fiber the installation could be easy, a well experience body man would know how to execute it without taking apart the roof.

Lets keep the XLR rolling.

IAN

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck on any issues with this car from Cadillac. I have been going back and forth with them over the roof separation issue. Mine completely separated! I received a $3,600.00+ quote to repair and they expect me to foot the bill for something that is a defect on the car. I will be fixing it (ouch) and then selling. Caddilac has lost my business, and most likely GM as well.

5. Likes David_B liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Red XLR / 2007 XLR-V

Beaker, Out of curiosity what year is your car and how long have you owned it.
    John F.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

Beaker .I find that strange that GM has paid for at leas ta dozen replacements but not yours. That estimate is also a good bit high at most any shop. A new top, labor and paint I think ran around 2K for the last invoice I saw . I do know if your car has a salvage title it will be a fight to get the top replaced.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 silver XLR

Hi Beaker.

There is a program available for the loyal customers, called GOODWILL, if you are a fine customer and visiting regularly the Cadillac or Chevrolet dealer, that could be a way for you to try.

That program is 1/3 for each involved as the dealer, GM and the customer for the repairs involve.

If you sell it on emotion you could regret it as the XLR is a such great machine.

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Car is a 2005

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 silver XLR

Hi Beaker

If the car has been since 2005 at the cadillac dealers, the service files wiil shows that the repairs and the inspections were done to the Cadillac dealers network.

Since the retractable top shows the possibility of been defective, put your self in the shoes of the dealer, he would be inclined to help his fine customers, if not….. why should he gets an open mind for a stranger that shows only when an emergency problem occur on his old XLR.

It takes two to tango.

Good Luck

IAN

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 XLR 4.6L

YouTube

ONLY known video of the detachment happening
    was able to recover this video from my old laptop and fix the rotation on it

12. Thanks Mark0polo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Crimson Pearl XLR

YouTube
    Quite embarrassing for a $80K+ car.....and if in a car behind, following.....this UFO could kill somebody

14. Likes Mark0polo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 XLR 4.6L

Quote Originally Posted by pure zen View Post
    YouTube
    Quite embarrassing for a $80K+ car.....and if in a car behind, following.....this UFO could kill somebody
    someone with a VIN should be able to submit it to the NHTSA as documentation this PROVES it happens while the car is in motion ... that is what the NHTSA needs to issue a recall... is some proof

16. Likes pure zen, Mark0polo, David_B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 xlr

When i purchase mine from the auction i always believe that it detached because of the minor door accident that it had. but i guess im not the only one.i was cruising in some road with lots of trees lots of space around and pheewwww i look my rear view mirror and the car behind me pass me and kept honking at me pointing to the back so i stop got out of the car and right away saw my roof gone i drove back and saw it on the side grass area i was lucky it landed on grass. but i do notice my panel 04 is different from the 06 07 08 09, mine its just plane and simple has no brackets or nothing to grab and drill holes to put zipties or anything for extra securing, so even though i put it back with some heavy duty glue its very tempting to just drill some holes and put counter sync screws an cover them with bondo and paint them since ill probably wont be able to find another one for sale with out somebody wanting 1000+ for one if it decides to fly away from me again

Roof panel separating on an '04-xlr-roof2-jpgRoof panel separating on an '04-xlr-roof-jpg

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

did you grind all the bonding material away? I would think GM would get you a new one based on it coming off. Black in a hot climate is what is doing it

19. Likes pure zen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 xlr

i really dont remember what i did, this happen 4 years ago. i think i did got my dremel to clean it. But yeap that black didnt help especially in Houston, Texas