Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Post Thanks / Like

Default Roof panel separating on an '04

My roof panel is separating at the front. I thought that I had seen a repair procedure, with the proper adhesive, but cannot find it now that it's needed. I cannot drive the car with the top up or down; with the top stowed, the hinged 'shelf', above, scratches the separated roof panel because the panel sits higher than it should. As always, I appreciate any advice/guidance you might have.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Crimson Pearl XLR

Wrench,,,, You might want to read ALL of the pages in this thread,,,especially posts by ccclark >

Roof panel detached while driving

Hope you can find an answer or direction to go next... Good luck

p z
    http://www.xlr-net.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6664&d=1473338578

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

make sure you notify GM . go by a dealer and have the m give you an estimate to back up your claim. Then report it to the nhtsa . Eventually Gm will have to do something on these roof issues before one blows off and kills a pedestrian. The only way to properly repair it is to remove the outer skin completely . Clean all old adhesive and re-bond it using one of the panel bond products for SMC. Lords. 3m and others make them.
    not an easy job. I doubt a dealer will do it for liability issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I will take it to the dealer on 12/26, with the roof strapped on, and then notify nhtsa.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

I think that may help a lot of people. Gm has a number of complaints and the lady in Florida whos roof blew off got a lot of news coverage so it should not take many more reports to get a recall started as it is a safety issue. Be sure to tell them yo uare concerned about it flying off and hitting someone.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I plan to make it as serious as it is!!! I'll post all that I find out... I am the second owner, and the car has only 89K miles...very disappointing to say the least!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 V, Raven Black with Shale interior

Hi
    This is just info to consider ................

Would GM actually conduct a recall to fix an issue on a car with the newest version now approaching ten years of age, even if there is a failure history ? And even at 75 documented failures (have there been that many? ) that wouldn't be even 1 % of the total production run.

A safety issue??

Well, talk about a SIGNIFICANT safety issue.......Remember the Phase I and II '87 to '92 Allante and the failure rate issue with the BOSCH III brake system ? The BOSCH III system was a SUPERB, state of the art braking system, however, it required a specific maintenance schedule which often was ignored. What resulted was many brake system failures and resulting property damage. GM never recalled those and the issue was WELL documented. The percentage of Brake system failures well exceeded the roof failure rate on the XLR.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Hi
    This is just info to consider ................

Would GM actually conduct a recall to fix an issue on a car with the newest version now approaching ten years of age, even if there is a failure history ? And even at 75 documented failures (have there been that many? ) that wouldn't be even 1 % of the total production run.

A safety issue??

Well, talk about a SIGNIFICANT safety issue.......Remember the Phase I and II '87 to '92 Allante and the failure rate issue with the BOSCH III brake system ? The BOSCH III system was a SUPERB, state of the art braking system, however, it required a specific maintenance schedule which often was ignored. What resulted was many brake system failures and resulting property damage. GM never recalled those and the issue was WELL documented. The percentage of Brake system failures well exceeded the roof failure rate on the XLR.

Bill
    I would hope the difference for us would be that there is no “maintenance schedule” to keep the roof from blowing off. For the Bosch III brakes, GM could get away with saying it’s the owner’s fault for not following the maintenance requirements.

The roof issue definitely seems to be a manufacturing defect since so far it primarily appears to affect the ‘04-‘05 model years, as the only other year I think I’ve seen mentioned on here was one ‘06. So they must have changed adhesives for later models. My dealer has told me they are “aware” of the issue (which makes me think GM is putting out some kind of info on it) & they check our roofs, though I’m not sure I believe that last part as I don’t know what could be “checked.”

Someone else can probably better weigh in on this, but I seem to remember mention of some Corvette removable roofs also having this problem. That would be our best “hook” to get a solution, if there were a recall for those & XLR’s got tacked on.

I will say this glue issue makes me wonder about the durability of current manufacturing processes that are gluing together structural parts throughout the car to save weight.

yep, I drive a hybrid - a V8 bred for high speed!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Custom hood & trunk liner
    Zaino polish

9. Likes rmatt liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

anything that flies off of a car and that can hit another car is defiantly a safety issue. A failure on a structural part could cost them some serious money say a car rolls over the top pops off and they hire an expert to confirm had the top not popped off the occupant would still be alive. Major liability issue here. the front radiator supports on the 04 and 05 are also bonded and I have seen a lot of them that hold the hood latch down also coming loose from the adhesive. Structural adhesives have been around since the early 70"s and have had an excellent history of no failures when applied properly . The corvettes had an issue also . we will need to watch as there are more than a few of them. By the way 3 small fires had ford recall 3/4 of a million vehicles so the % does not have to be high.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 V, Raven Black with Shale interior

I will maintain that the high rate of brake failures in the Phase I and II Allante is/ was well documented and is all over the inter-web and GM was well aware of the matter while the system was still in production, and being installed in cars. They only moved to the more standard system in '93 as a cost saving measure. (it was not about safety; safety was a side benefit). They had been hemorrhaging millions and millions of dollars on the Allante endeavor and decided in early '93 to ax the Allante program, that the '93 model year would be the end. Yes, there had been an updated '94 model in the wings but the cost over runs could not be justified. They also needed a low production "test mule" in which to roll out the North-star engine and the Allante was it. Yes, they did also cut back in multiple areas (audio, seating, electrical, suspension) in the '93 model year in an effort to stave off further losses, but it was too little too late. GM does operate for profit. The Allante was too costly to continue.

Sorry, going a bit off topic. Bottom line is GM counts dollars and profit and until there is a significant cost to them, they will adhere to the corporate bottom line. As much as it is not a popular take, mine is, GM will not do doing anything about the hard top skin adhesion failure matter. Hope I am wrong.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill S.; 12-24-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

Default dealer

did yo uever take it to the dealer? we are waiting to see what the outcome was

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2WheelWrench View Post
    My roof panel is separating at the front. I thought that I had seen a repair procedure, with the proper adhesive, but cannot find it now that it's needed. I cannot drive the car with the top up or down; with the top stowed, the hinged 'shelf', above, scratches the separated roof panel because the panel sits higher than it should. As always, I appreciate any advice/guidance you might have.
    We sincerely regret to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your roof panel, 2WheelWrench. We realized that you are seeking advice from other forum members. However, if you would like to have an additional layer of assistance with your certified dealership, we’d be happy to ensure that all options of assistance have been explored on your behalf. So that we may do so, e-mail us at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN: Cadillac/2WheelWrenc” in the subject line. Please be sure to include your full contact information, VIN, the mileage of your vehicle, and your preferred dealership so that we may best assist.

To review GM's privacy policy, please visit the link below:
    Privacy Statement | General Motors.

Jenifer J.

14. Thanks Mark0polo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Crimson Pearl XLR

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacCustomerService View Post
    We sincerely regret to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your roof panel, 2WheelWrench. We realized that you are seeking advice from other forum members. However, if you would like to have an additional layer of assistance with your certified dealership, we’d be happy to ensure that all options of assistance have been explored on your behalf. So that we may do so, e-mail us at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN: Cadillac/2WheelWrenc” in the subject line. Please be sure to include your full contact information, VIN, the mileage of your vehicle, and your preferred dealership so that we may best assist.

To review GM's privacy policy, please visit the link below:
    Privacy Statement | General Motors.

Jenifer J.
    Thanks for posting Jenifer .................. 2WheelWrench,, Be sure to stop back and tell us "how" this all worked out with GM assist. Thank you in advance, p z

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2WheelWrench View Post
    Hi, 2WheelWrench. It’s been a few days, and I wanted to take a moment to follow up with you again. As mentioned, our team would be happy to work alongside your dealership to ensure that this concern with your roof panel is addressed. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com with either “ATTN: Cadillac/2WheelWrench” or “ATTN: Jenifer J.” in the subject line. Thank you.

Jenifer J.

17. Likes Mark0polo liked this post