Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Engine shut off while driving 05 GRAND DADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR

Default Engine shut off while driving

HAS ANYONE HAD THIS ISSUE AND KNOW WHAT FIXED IT?
    About 6 weeks ago I was traveling home from a car show, while in the hot rod mood I was using the tap shifter option, I was almost home and coming down the hill to turn back our road, when the engine just up and shut off while driving, I got off the road and stop, then tried to restart it and it just turned over, i waited a few minutes it fired back up and ran fine! So after that, I drove it to shop and they said the only thing that they could find was all in the history , but no new codes. They check battery and it was weak so we replaced it ! A week later we drove the car to Oceans City and back, about 4 hrs each way plus cruising around while there. I went out on few other trips to local area and it was fine, but I didn’t use the tap shift option until again today heading to a car show ( I guess you could say I was curious) and again it shut off..... lucky, right before the car show, so drifted into parking area, right out front. Did the same thing tried to restart, cranked but would not start, so walked around at the show and hour and half later jump in and fired right up! It ran perfect all the way home about 20 minutes! Kind of weird but kind of scary too! Any ideas or information would be well appreciated! Thx Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WENDY & DAN
    I'LL HAVE MY WONDERFUL WIFE!!!!!!!
    MY XLR & AND A ICE COLD BEER!!!!!!!

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

another poster already has a thread going with what seems liek the same problem .check it out for suggestions that have not fixed his so far but may repair yours

3. Likes pure zen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Default Engine shut off while driving

Quote Originally Posted by long Tall Sally View Post
    another poster already has a thread going with what seems liek the same problem .check it out for suggestions that have not fixed his so far but may repair yours
    Yes! They quoted.. they Changed the battery, and never had a problem after that! But I did too, but It didn’t fix the problem.

Last edited by 05 GRAND DADDY; 06-10-2019 at 05:24 PM.
    WENDY & DAN

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

not sure I understand Grand Daddy. You say you changed the battery and that fixed the problem or not? this is the post I was talking about.

Engine Quits Intermittently

I scanned ands see about 4 threads on the same subject
    Last edited by long Tall Sally; 06-09-2019 at 11:29 PM.

6. Thanks 05 GRAND DADDY thanked for this post
    Likes pure zen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Quote Originally Posted by long Tall Sally View Post
    not sure I understand Grand Daddy. You say you changed the battery and that fixed the problem or not? this is the post I was talking about.

Engine Quits Intermittently

I scanned ands see about 4 threads on the same subject
    No changing battery did not fix it! Thanks for the find I’ll check this out!

WENDY & DAN

8. Likes long Tall Sally liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 silver XLR

Hi Dan

Its a good thing that you visited a ''shop '' that confirmed that your xlr is having intermittent engine stop.
    Would a Cadillac dealer with the latest data would have done better…... we dont know that.

The'' shop'' tool indicate no defective codes, either on fuel system components, engine module, the ignition system and its components or the grounds involves.

The engine stop like if you would have cut the power and later it would start with no problems and the engine runs smoothly….. as per you affirmations.

My suggestion ( only )….. would be that the anti theft system could be the one that could cause the interruption of the engine, that system is integrated in all the aspects of the car and if the module is infected, that module is capable to cut the ignition and the fuel of the car.

When you had the car rest for a while the car computer had maybe the chance to reload the system and had the car back to the running level.

I believe that we will have the similar situations in the increasing trend for the coming years, our cars are getting old and time makes its way.

Hoping that you will find the cause.

IAN

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Quote Originally Posted by IAN View Post
    Hi Dan

Its a good thing that you visited a ''shop '' that confirmed that your xlr is having intermittent engine stop.
    Would a Cadillac dealer with the latest data would have done better…... we dont know that.

The'' shop'' tool indicate no defective codes, either on fuel system components, engine module, the ignition system and its components or the grounds involves.

The engine stop like if you would have cut the power and later it would start with no problems and the engine runs smoothly….. as per you affirmations.

My suggestion ( only )….. would be that the anti theft system could be the one that could cause the interruption of the engine, that system is integrated in all the aspects of the car and if the module is infected, that module is capable to cut the ignition and the fuel of the car.

When you had the car rest for a while the car computer had maybe the chance to reload the system and had the car back to the running level.

I believe that we will have the similar situations in the increasing trend for the coming years, our cars are getting old and time makes its way.

Hoping that you will find the cause.

IAN

Thx Ian
    The first time it happened, it was less time to restart probably with in 5 minutes! I love this car, but at 104$ an hour, to keep trying to diagnose this problem just can’t happen, I’d rather it would break and not restart, I can’t afford this game of who knows plus it’s a very dangerous problem on the highway! At this point I’m not sure of my next move!

WENDY & DAN

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 silver XLR

HI DAN.

Hi understand you so much as we had the same experience few weeks ago.

My Cadillac dealer knows that there is a needle in a haystack, however he do not knows were it is, had the car for 2 weeks and they could not figure out the problem. they suspect the anti theft module….. that its all.

My car runs great presently ( its warm weather ) but i am driving with the fear that the engine could stop at any time.

I still believe that the XLR is a great car and needs more and more cares.

Good luck

IAN

12. Thanks 05 GRAND DADDY thanked for this post