Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2009 XL Platinum

Default Trunk sinks closed after opening

So, when I open my trunk, it slowly closes by itself. I checked the linkage and other obvious things. Thought you all might be able to point me in the right direction.
    I know it's not the battery because I just installed a new 640 CCA (which, by the way cured my top not going down problem)
    I have not experienced the trunk problem while the car is running or in Aux, but I haven't tried that.
    Maybe a hydraulic fluid bleeding issue? My pump fluid is at the full line.
    Please help. I'm tired of getting my head hit (softly) with the trunk lid.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Black XLR-V

Probably need the truck support struts replaced.

3. Likes pure zen, XFireXLR liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

yep for sure you need the two trunk supports. I get them from rock auto. They area little hard to install as they need a slight compression. Former member here made a tool in about 5 minutes and changed my first set in less than 10 minutes total. It takes me about 20 .Pm me and I will give you the part numbers if you like. Failure of the support struts causes premature pump failure. SO if anyone's do not stay up by them selves look at getting them replaced to save yourself some money for a while on a pump overhaul .
    Last edited by long Tall Sally; 10-24-2019 at 10:14 PM.

5. Likes pure zen, XFireXLR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 XLR

It's most likely the gas struts but double check that the manual bypass valve on the hydraulic pump is fully closed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

7. Likes pure zen, XFireXLR, long Tall Sally liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

that's a good thought Steve.

9. Likes Fireduck69, Mark0polo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 black XLR

Quote Originally Posted by long Tall Sally View Post
    yep for sure you need the two trunk supports. I get them from rock auto. They area little hard to install as they need a slight compression. Former member here made a tool in about 5 minutes and changed my first set in less than 10 minutes total. It takes me about 20 .Pm me and I will give you the part numbers if you like. Failure of the support struts causes premature pump failure. SO if anyone's do not stay up by them selves look at getting them replaced to save yourself some money for a while on a pump overhaul .
    Hi L-T Sally
    I'm a new member with a 2004 and couldn't find them on Rock Auto Please post the part # you used
    Thanks in advance
    Rich

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

sachs brand sg330112 sold at autozone 22$ each
    strongarm b6241 should be at rock auto
    tuff support 613790 sold amazon 40$ a pair

sachs makes a lot of oem products

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Crimson Pearl XLR

Might also try > Lift Supports, Gas Springs & Gas Struts | Lift Supports Depot

lift supports depot  2345 Camino Vida Roble Carlsbad, CA 92011
    866-969-5438

13. Thanks Mark0polo thanked for this post
    Likes long Tall Sally liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

there prices for the same items are about 10-20% higher after shipping .

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Crimson Pearl XLR

Currently at > Lift Supports, Gas Springs & Gas Struts | Lift Supports Depot ONLINE ORDERS ONLY on orders over $39.00

Free Shipping Event Terms and Conditions

•This promotion runs as advertised in the Banner on the top of our website, if banner is not showing then no promotions are available.
    Only applicable to orders placed on Lift Supports, Gas Springs & Gas Struts | Lift Supports Depot.
    •Orders shipped via Free Shipping promotion will be shipped at the discretion of the shipper. Methods May include Fedex or USPS.

Hope that helps......

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 black XLR

Thanks very much to all for the help!!!!! This is a really tremendous forum for my all time favorite vehicle.

17. Likes James Landi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2009 XL Platinum

I got the ones from Amazon. They arrive tomorrow. Looks like a hard job, but I don't want to pay the dealer $60 each plus labor.
    I hope I have good luck.
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Base, Black/Black

RonXLR, how did it go? My new ones should be here tomorrow. From the looks of it, I'll need to prop the trunk open, gain access to the bottom attach point, pop the retaining clips, r&r the gas cylinder and reinstall retaining clips and trunk trim. What else goes wrong? Seems there's always something...

John B.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

the good thing is the retaining clips do not have to be reused. the right side is the easiest to get to. just pry the clip back and slip the strut off. snapping the new one on is the problem or can be. They are just a touch too long so the trunk has to be at its peak. it gets really heavy when you take them off. I reomment a good solid 2x4 to loh it up as a prop rod can slip and its going to hurt . They take right at 250 pounds to compress. I have a tool sent out for a member to use and he is going to just send it tothe next perso nthat wants to use it. its just a threaded rod with some brackets welded on and a nut so you can compress the strut enought to slip on. the clip on the lower left is the hardest to remove and needs a thin long bladed screwdriver or similiar to remove it. dont worry if the cllips fly off as the new struts have them on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Base, Black/Black

I'm thinking of asking if I can be the next one to receive that tool. I can't compress 250 lbs and wrestle that into position by hand! Let me know, please.

John B.