Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vetronix Tech 2

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Base Infrared

I just sent you a pm

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Red XLR / 2007 XLR-V

Default Tech 2

I had not heard of this piece of equipment until I joined this group a couple of weeks ago. I own an 06 XLR and have had it for four years and it has been an excellent trouble free car with high millage. I drive roughly 4-5 months of the year. When not in use it sits in storage in Southern CA. I am now looking at buying a low millage 2005 but I am beginning to think this car is very problematic. I want some feedback on whether you folks think these cars are a mechanical problem. One 05 I have looked at has 18,000 miles on it and has had the radiator replaced and leaky head gaskets fixed. I know the 05's had a rad problem so it's good this has been replaced. I am also looking at an 05 with about 7000 miles on it. It hasn't got enough miles to bring to light any potential problems. Sorry for rambling but I just want to get some advise as I can't believe owners are buying diagnostic equipment to help them solve issues with this car.
    John F..

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2013 Graphite Metallic XTS Platinum

Many owners who plan to keep their cars indefinitely are using the collective knowledge archived online along with Tech 2's to work on or diagnose their vehicles. Without a Tech 2, XLR owners are completely dependent on dealerships for even simple repairs.

Since you've had a trouble-free car, this may not make a whole lot of sense. --It will if you start having problems though. The XLR isn't getting any younger, and some models are more prone to problems than others. The 04-05 years exhibit the most issues, but they also comprise 2/3 of the XLR's produced. Their folding tops seem to get the most attention, issue-wise.

If you're inclined to buy one of the earlier models, a Service History from a GM dealership is a must.

CC

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Base Infrared

In my case, the folding top got "confused" back in January. The nearest Caddy dealer is 50 miles or so from me. So driving 50 miles, waiting at the dealer for several hours, to pay a $150 service charge for a simple re-learning of the top, and drive back 50 miles was not something I wanted to do again.
    Several weeks later my wife got the trunk "confused" where it wouldn't raise or lower by powering on the switch. Plugged in the Tech II, and after testing the settings, I got it back online. So that saved me at least $150.
    If I have to use it again, and solve the problem with my TechII, it will have paid for itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Black Raven

Back to the topic. Can this Vetronix Tech 2 do a VIN relearn for replacing the navigation/radio/cd player? Is this Tech 2 knockoff any good without the $365 shop manual? Or do I need to drop nearly a Grand getting both?
    Cadillac-JackŪ
    Philadelphia, PA

http://oi61.tinypic.com/3010zfo.jpg

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Quote Originally Posted by Caddyjack View Post
    Back to the topic. Can this Vetronix Tech 2 do a VIN relearn for replacing the navigation/radio/cd player? Is this Tech 2 knockoff any good without the $365 shop manual? Or do I need to drop nearly a Grand getting both?
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Yes

CC

7. Likes rexster314 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Black Raven

Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Yes

CC
    Thank you, CC. I found a Vetronix Tech-2 on Amazon, so I have a money back guarantee. Got a Shop manual on eBay, and am ready to roll when the time comes. As you know, with an XLR...it's not IF....it's WHEN.
    Cadillac-JackŪ
    Philadelphia, PA

http://oi61.tinypic.com/3010zfo.jpg

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Red XLR / 2007 XLR-V

Default Tech 2

I have been re reading these posts along with the one I wrote and trying to navigate this whole site. I had mentioned earlier I was looking at buying an 05 for home but am now really getting gun shy. I know I wouldn't be able to handle all the problem that I have a feeling will arise. If I had read this site 4 years ago I would never have bought my 06. I will say my 06 is the most favourite car I have ever owned.
    John F.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)

Quote Originally Posted by beaver_jd View Post
    I have been re reading these posts along with the one I wrote and trying to navigate this whole site. I had mentioned earlier I was looking at buying an 05 for home but am now really getting gun shy. I know I wouldn't be able to handle all the problem that I have a feeling will arise. If I had read this site 4 years ago I would never have bought my 06. I will say my 06 is the most favourite car I have ever owned.
    John F.
    But you did buy it (your '06) & it's all worked out well, sooo ... STOP thinking & just DO enjoy it! Put that top down, feel the warm sunshine on your face, the rush of the wind, and forget everything else in the world ...
    Last edited by XLRATING; 08-06-2016 at 11:10 PM.

yep, I drive a hybrid - a V8 bred for high speed!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Custom hood & trunk liner
    Zaino polish

11. Likes ald42, BusaMan, rnrt99 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 XLR Electra Blue

Default tect ll

Quote Originally Posted by David_B View Post
    It wasn't 2 months after buying my Chinese Tech II that I had to do a top re-learn. So mine is mostly paid for. Anything happen from here on out, I'm really not out much anymore. lol
    So can anyone out there give me an overview of what is involved in doing a top re-learn with a Tech ll scanner? Does it require the service manuals?

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

GM service manuals are definitely recommended with a Tech 2.

The definition of the Top Relearn mode has been posted previously, so it's easier for you to use the search function to find it than to re-write it. Here's how it's performed:

Top Relearn Procedure

Navigate to:

Vehicle Control Systems/Computer Integrating Systems/Module Replacement/Setup/FTC Module

1. Select the Folding Top Learn Procedure soft key
    2. Move the top through one complete cycle to store the new sensor parameters.
    3. Subtract at least $125 from the price of the tool and books each time you perform steps 1 & 2.

It's useful to maintain a log of the sensor values for later comparison to determine when one is on the ragged edge.

CCC
    Last edited by ccclarke; 10-19-2017 at 06:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 XLR Electra Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Caddyjack View Post
    Thank you, CC. I found a Vetronix Tech-2 on Amazon, so I have a money back guarantee. Got a Shop manual on eBay, and am ready to roll when the time comes. As you know, with an XLR...it's not IF....it's WHEN.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    GM service manuals are definitely recommended with a Tech 2.

The definition of the Top Relearn mode has been posted previously, so it's easier for you to use the search function to find it than to re-write it. Here's how it's performed:

Top Relearn Procedure

Navigate to:

Vehicle Control Systems/Computer Integrating Systems/Module Replacement/Setup/FTC Module

1. Select the Folding Top Learn Procedure soft key
    2. Move the top through one complete cycle to store the new sensor parameters.
    3. Subtract at least $125 from the price of the tool and books each time you perform steps 1 & 2.

It's useful to maintain a log of the sensor values for later comparison to determine when one is on the ragged edge.

CCC
    so I just ordered a cheap tech2. Anybody got a pdf of an Xlr service manual?😁

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 XLR Electra Blue

Thanks! Kind of a scary site security wise but it does the job.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 XLR Electra Blue

Quote Originally Posted by hmarksanford View Post
    Thanks! Kind of a scary site security wise but it does the job.
    So I got my new Tech2 yesterday and have been getting familiar with it. Going to try it out this weekend, maybe try to do a relearn on the top since I have the problem of the top not latching down securely to the post. One problem I've found not that the weather is getting cooler her in the south is the previous owner apparently spilled a soft drink on the center console and the buttons are getting sticky to the point of almost not working. So if anyone has any words of wisdom on how to clean them up please let me know.