Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Black XLR V, 2005 Black XLR, 2000 Black DTX, 2010 Black CTX, 2007 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn Audio View Post
    At the request of my client I thought I’d share my experience with this.

2004 XLR-BOSE, Nav, 6CD, no XM

Parts list-
    Kenwood DNX-574S
    Metra 99-6511 –Dodge/Jeep kit shaved to fit.
    Metra GMOS-06
    Metra ASWC-1
    Metra 40-GM10
    Sirius 300v1 tuner
    ADAS ACA800 Camera

Here’s a before and after- 2018 Installs - Google Photos
    Thanks for the information - this is great! I'm just south of WI, in IL. I might be wanting to take a trip up to Madison, WI in 2019 for this upgrade. This upgrade really updates the XLR, in my opinion. I have a 2007 XLR-V. I'll keep you in mind, when I am ready to pull the trigger.
    Chicago Dave

"Everything in life happens somewhere else ... why not have fun getting there and in style"

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 (red) with wire grrile

Your encouragement is much appreciated. I am somewhat of a skilled DIY person... thank you. James
    '

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Black XLR-V

Just saw this install kit on ebay

4. Likes James Landi liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

N/Z

HA! I had to order one. Wonder if I can modify it to put a tablet in vertically instead?

[QUOT

E=Fireduck69;77649]

Just saw this install kit on ebay[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Metra

Yes Metra just came out with this piece about a week before I did my install but I think for most of the models I have seen pictures of they have some sort of interesting print or design on that part that matches other dash parts....

You could get it dipped or just painted a solid color, it's a nice small piece and wouldn't cost much I'm sure. That large of a piece in just black would be pretty ugly in a nice car like this. Wrangler or 99 Silverado? Yes. XLR- Please don't!

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

N/Z

I got this in, and here's what I found.

It has that rubbery coating on it, the one that Ferrari owners hate because it gets shiney and degrades with time on parts that they no longer can get. (good thing there's at least one company that will refurbish them!)

The stereo opening is standard 2DIN. You don't need any side adapters, it will just fit. It includes a 1DIN pocket if you want to put a single DIN radio in.

The opening is 1 inch lower than the top of the old stereo opening, that way there isn't going to be a huge empty space where the CD slot was on the original one. The included mounting plates for the sides probably allows the head unit to be lowered. I wonder if this new lower position lets you use deeper head units?

The AC panel area has 2 adapters for the different year XLRs, one for the all metal face and one for the later Wood faced ones. This is needed because the control module is actually different between them.

The other question I have is could you enlarge the opening and put an 8 inch stereo? As I said, with the brackets lowering it an inch, maybe there's enough space for it.

The quality of the plastic seems good, It's not as solid as the stock metal covered one though..

The black might not look completely horrible in a dark interior, but in the lighter interior, yeah, it's probably going to stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm not sure you could glue anything to it, or if paint would stick very well. It probably would be a good place to start if you were going to make a custom Tablet install though, you would probably have to remove the rubber coating.
    Last edited by David_B; 09-04-2018 at 05:38 PM.

8. Likes Thunderbuck liked this post