Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 XLR-V, Raven black

My check engine light came on because of a bad knock sensor. Knock sensor 2 to be exact.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default I am having similar problems.. Intermittant start ..dies while at a red light. non start

i have a 04 with 40k miles..
    i have had the dreaded water in rear/trunk ecu sump.
    i have replaced the ride control and the top ecu.. and had Tophydraulics redo my hydraulic top pump.
    i still need..to have the top reprogramed.

with all that being said.. i am having the non start issues this post was about..
    it will crank but not start...it might fire or stumble but not start... let car sit ...then it will start right up. and drive for some distance.. sometimes it will run fine ... and sometimes it will stall comming to a red light.. or while sitting at a red light... when this happens it will not start...
    let it sit...and it will start... sometimes.. intermittent.
    i am about to go look at the fuel pump grounds..and am hoping this fixes the run issue.

i have also had previously a Mass air flow sensor problem to add to it..my experience with this is the chevy part is the only viable part.. had a problem with a replacement aftermarket mas. but since installing the gm part it has seemed to fix that issue..

so now with the intermittent start/run issue..i about to try the fuel pump grounds..fingers crossed.
    for reference.. it will crank .. it just wont fire...
    i get the same issues as described also some times it will stumble.. and intermittently it will just start right up and run for a period.. then the problem will repeat...
    ill update after i clean the grounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Try this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cheapstreetduster View Post
    i have a 04 with 40k miles..
    i have had the dreaded water in rear/trunk ecu sump.
    i have replaced the ride control and the top ecu.. and had Tophydraulics redo my hydraulic top pump.
    i still need..to have the top reprogramed.

with all that being said.. i am having the non start issues this post was about..
    it will crank but not start...it might fire or stumble but not start... let car sit ...then it will start right up. and drive for some distance.. sometimes it will run fine ... and sometimes it will stall comming to a red light.. or while sitting at a red light... when this happens it will not start...
    let it sit...and it will start... sometimes.. intermittent.
    i am about to go look at the fuel pump grounds..and am hoping this fixes the run issue.

i have also had previously a Mass air flow sensor problem to add to it..my experience with this is the chevy part is the only viable part.. had a problem with a replacement aftermarket mas. but since installing the gm part it has seemed to fix that issue..

so now with the intermittent start/run issue..i about to try the fuel pump grounds..fingers crossed.
    for reference.. it will crank .. it just wont fire...
    i get the same issues as described also some times it will stumble.. and intermittently it will just start right up and run for a period.. then the problem will repeat...
    ill update after i clean the grounds.

YOU O RINGS IN THE FUEL LINE ON FUEL PUMPS MAYBE GONE. REPLACE THE FUEL LINES AND I THINK THAT WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM.
    I ALSO CHANGED THE TUBE THAT CONNECTS THE TWO FUEL PUMPS AND THAT SOLVED MY PROBLEM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default CALL ME IF YOU WANT

CALL ME IF YOU WANT 803-269-0514 LOU.

2005 Cadillac XLR keeps shutting off!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Crimson Pearl XLR

Quote Originally Posted by QueLou View Post
    CALL ME IF YOU WANT 803-269-0514 LOU.
    I have been going through this since last year!!! May I give you a call? This is EXACTLY what has been going on with my 2004 XLR, and I think this simple ground was overlooked because of the code being thrown for the catalytic converter.
    • Exodus-2004 Cadillac XLR-Spring/Summer Roadster(Dream Come True)
    • Bella-1992 Cadillac Allante-Restoration-used to be my daily driver!
    • Capt America-1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ-Bad weather days
    • Sky-2006 Audi A4 Cabriolet-Good Weather days
    • Ol' Whitey-2001 Taurus SES Wagon-To haul people and things

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 cadillac xlr

Hi Allanteguy
    i went through the same a few years back and have fixed mine i wrote an article on this in the forums somewhere 770-771-2398 /Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 cadillac xlr

check your msges

2005 Cadillac XLR keeps shutting off!!! nerkpowers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Black Raven, Ebony

There is also a post somewhere about grounds. Connections become corroded and can cause this type of problem. Do a search. I think one member isolated his intermittent starting issue to a bad ground on the starter. Simply removed the ground, sandpapered both surfaces and reattached. There are something like 7 places that are critical ground locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mods
    Corsa Exhaust
    Rear Sway Bar
    Eline Drilled and Slotted Rotors
    Infrared/Silver powder coated calipers
    Embroidered Trunk Lid Liner

2005 Cadillac XLR keeps shutting off!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Crimson Pearl XLR

nerkpowers-Thank you!! I am checking the grounds I know of and can reach- and have an appointment set up for Friday with my shop. I'm hoping to find a diagram or minimum a location, of all 7 critical grounds so I am prepared and handy so I don't get snake bitten on the hours of labor to trace grounds by the shop!
    • Exodus-2004 Cadillac XLR-Spring/Summer Roadster(Dream Come True)
    • Bella-1992 Cadillac Allante-Restoration-used to be my daily driver!
    • Capt America-1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ-Bad weather days
    • Sky-2006 Audi A4 Cabriolet-Good Weather days
    • Ol' Whitey-2001 Taurus SES Wagon-To haul people and things