Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR-V

Default Swapping Headers Without Dropping Engine

Last weekend I exchanged beer for my neighbor's help and we swapped out my OEM exhaust with a Billy Boat Fusion system.

That all went fine and happy with the results.

We also took a look at swapping my OEM headers for the MagnaFlow units I purchased a while back.

My neighbor has extensive experience and great collection of automotive tools, but after messing with the passenger side heat shield for 45 minutes, he cried uncle and we settled for just getting the exhaust done. Even if we tried to work around the loose heat shield without fully removing it, he just couldn't see a way to get at all the header bolts without dropping the engine.

I see several threads where V owners mention getting their headers removed with the engine in place. Anyone who has done it have any tips for us to make another pass at it?

He has an engine hoist if we have to go that route, but would much rather do it the "easier" way if at all possible.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Silver XLR-V

I installed D3 headers on my V myself. On the ground, with jackstands, and only hand tools - with no prior experience. I found the driver side significantly easier than the passenger side - the AC lines and such made the passenger side much more challenging.

I did not have to move the engine in any way to get it out... but I do remember it being difficult. I ended up driving around with only the driver side installed for a few weeks before I could get back to trying to figure out the passenger side.

Getting the old manifolds out was more difficult than installing the headers - the D3 headers had much more room than the OEM manifolds did.

I actually did this process twice... the first time was just installing them... and then a year or two later I removed them to apply heat wrap and decided it was easier to do with them off the car than try to do it with them installed. And I ended up installing stage8 locking fasteners the 2nd time around.

I don't have any advice for you but take the time and have some patience. There was nothing special I did - but I remember it taking most of the day to do the passenger side removal and install.
    Last edited by richardyoo; 06-14-2019 at 08:44 PM.
    2006 XLR-V - 160 Deg T-stat, D3 cold air intake, headers, & pulley, Corsa Exhaust, NGK Spark Plugs, KATech ZR1 HE + Aux FMHE with upgraded pump, Meth Injection, Tuned via both EFIlive & HPTuners, Front & Rear Hotchkis Sway Bars, Hardbar lowered, Rotora 6-piston front/4-piston rear brakes, Adam's 2-piece slotted/dimpled rotors, Hawk HP+ pads, Forgeline 3-piece 20" wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, Windrestrictor, V1 radar detector & Invisicord, Laser Interceptor Quad HP laser jammer.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by richardyoo View Post
    I installed D3 headers on my V myself. On the ground, with jackstands, and only hand tools - with no prior experience. I found the driver side significantly easier than the passenger side - the AC lines and such made the passenger side much more challenging.

I did not have to move the engine in any way to get it out... but I do remember it being difficult. I ended up driving around with only the driver side installed for a few weeks before I could get back to trying to figure out the passenger side.

Getting the old manifolds out was more difficult than installing the headers - the D3 headers had much more room than the OEM manifolds did.

I actually did this process twice... the first time was just installing them... and then a year or two later I removed them to apply heat wrap and decided it was easier to do with them off the car than try to do it with them installed. And I ended up installing stage8 locking fasteners the 2nd time around.

I don't have any advice for you but take the time and have some patience. There was nothing special I did - but I remember it taking most of the day to do the passenger side removal and install.
    Thanks for reply Richard.

Do you remember if you were able to remove the heat shield on the passenger side or did you just work around it? There didn't seem any way to get it pulled clear from the bottom without doing some significant damage to it in the process.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Silver XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by racknid View Post
    Do you remember if you were able to remove the heat shield on the passenger side or did you just work around it?
    Its been about 10 years since I did the work so I don't remember exactly... its entirely possible I did it the way you suggested - where I just unbolted it, but let it float there until I could get the entire manifold assembly out. My heat shields are not damaged.
    2006 XLR-V - 160 Deg T-stat, D3 cold air intake, headers, & pulley, Corsa Exhaust, NGK Spark Plugs, KATech ZR1 HE + Aux FMHE with upgraded pump, Meth Injection, Tuned via both EFIlive & HPTuners, Front & Rear Hotchkis Sway Bars, Hardbar lowered, Rotora 6-piston front/4-piston rear brakes, Adam's 2-piece slotted/dimpled rotors, Hawk HP+ pads, Forgeline 3-piece 20" wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, Windrestrictor, V1 radar detector & Invisicord, Laser Interceptor Quad HP laser jammer.