Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infared XLR-V

Default New Intercooler Pump

After sitting in traffic on a hot day I noticed that the acceleration of my V seemed sluggish and slower than normal. I traced the problem to the intercooler pump not running and properly cooling the air entering the engine from the supercharger. After moving the connector around on the back of the pump motor it would go on and off and sometime run slower than normal. It remained unreliable so I searched for a replacement and found one for a CTS-V that was being sold as a high capacity replacement and it fit almost perfectly in the same location as the old pump. I had to drill one new mounting hole in the supplied bracket, cut off the old connector and splice two wires, relocate the original pump relay, and shorten the new mounting bracket to clear the hood strut. The clearance problem was discovered after the pictures were taken so the bracket supplied with the new pump is not shown after I shortened it, but I just cut off the unused portion of the rear of the bracket and the hood strut then cleared without any problem. Flow charts show that this pump will flow more coolant through the supercharger and intercooler hopefully reducing the temperatures going into the engine.

Here are some pictures of the new intercooler pump that I installed.

New Pump Installation Instructions:

The Old Pump motor was much larger and heavier:

New Pump Installed with old pump sitting behind it for comparison:

New Pump rear view. Pump relay that was rivited to old pump now mounted to bracket:

New Pump top view. The original hoses connect just like the original:

2006 Infared XLR-V built 4/2006, Sold new 8/24/2006 @ 36 miles. Purchased as second owner 7/22/09 @ 40,151 miles, as of 3/2018 81,862 miles
    Ligenfelter Varimax PWM Intercooler Coolant Pump, D3 Stage 1 & 2 Intake, Wait4me tune, Texas Mile 154.6 MPH 10/26/2012
    Other Caddys: 1990 Red Allante 154,000 miles

Member of Allante' XLR Houston Club:
    www.allanteclubofamerica.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=179768&module_id=5 322
    Facebook page: Allante XLR Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Black Raven XLR-V; 1996 Eldorado ESC-V

Quote Originally Posted by onalaska View Post
    After sitting in traffic on a hot day I noticed that the acceleration of my V seemed sluggish and slower than normal. I traced the problem to the intercooler pump not running and properly cooling the air entering the engine from the supercharger. After moving the connector around on the back of the pump motor it would go on and off and sometime run slower than normal. It remained unreliable so I searched for a replacement and found one for a CTS-V that was being sold as a high capacity replacement and it fit almost perfectly in the same location as the old pump.
    You got any specs on that pump?
    Snake Bit Super Chilled XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Currently 510rwhp and 546TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550
    ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo... with a Jet Pack"

ECTA Land Speed Racing Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car
    Texas Mile XLR-V Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 165.6MPH
    2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/11-02-2013/19AtQ_.gif
    "If and when you start making bigger power, you will find you will do things less "Your way" and more the "right way" or you will spend a lot of time making repairs you can avoid."

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infared XLR-V

Giz, here is a link to some flow testing results.

Intercooler pump flow testing results

Steven

2006 Infared XLR-V built 4/2006, Sold new 8/24/2006 @ 36 miles. Purchased as second owner 7/22/09 @ 40,151 miles, as of 3/2018 81,862 miles
    Ligenfelter Varimax PWM Intercooler Coolant Pump, D3 Stage 1 & 2 Intake, Wait4me tune, Texas Mile 154.6 MPH 10/26/2012
    Other Caddys: 1990 Red Allante 154,000 miles

Member of Allante' XLR Houston Club:
    www.allanteclubofamerica.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=179768&module_id=5 322
    Facebook page: Allante XLR Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 XLR-V

The link above is dead, but here is the new location of the comparison.

Intercooler pump flow testing results - Lingenfelter Performance Engineering Forum

The pump onalaska used is a VariMax 410110 DC brushless pump. CTS-V kits are around $290.
    1988 Nissan 300ZX Turbo Shiro Special
    1992 Subaru SVX LS-L
    2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2003 Infiniti M45
    2008 Cadillac XLR-V Alpine White LE

5. Likes onalaska liked this post