Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 XLR/V Black on Black

Default Trunk will not close on folding top retract cycle

I have a 2006 XLR-V and live in San Diego area. My folding roof will retract correctly but the cycle will not complete because my trunk lid does not close. When I close the roof, however, the cycle completes to include the trunk closing properly. In short, the trunk will not close on the roof retract cycle. All other times it works fine.

My research suggests perhaps bad sensors or poor alignment of a sensor pair. Any ideas? Also, assuming this will require a mechanic with proper tools/experience - can anyone recommend a service activity in San Diego? Many thanks, Nadoxlrv

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Black XLR-V

Make sure your windows are indexed properly first. If that doesn't help than a relearn would be next. You need a tech2 for this. These procedures are covered here in this site.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2013 Graphite Metallic XTS Platinum

Unless the battery was removed, or primary power was disconnected after the folding top stopped, the windows shouldn't need to be indexed. Determining window position is the first step in the folding top cycle. If the windows weren't indexed, the top wouldn't have moved initially.

The folding top position sensor may be faulty or need to be re-learned, since after it stows, the rear deck lid lowers. It could be the folding top control module doesn't know the position of the top.

You didn't mention if the top can be raised after the cycle is halted by the rear deck lid not lowering. That's another clue.

CC
    Last edited by ccclarke; 08-13-2016 at 08:53 AM.

4. Likes XFireXLR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Thanks. The windows are indexed properly I believe (close and open as appropriate during the cycle). Also, power has never been interrupted. The top does cycle closed when I give up on the trunk lid not closing.

Points to a relearn. I'll engage local San Diego dealers with hopes they have the expertise.
    I appreciate the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Gold Mist Met. XLR

Cool

Also check the interior switch, this happened to me awhile back and my tech found out after checking the timing on all the top and trunk sensors. I would retract the top and everything would work correctly except the trunk would not close, but it would close after taking my finger off of the button and then pressing it again. This may or may not be your issue, if you haven't already tried this.
    2006 Cadillac XLR
    Gold Mist Met/Shale #637
    Corvette Z06 Chrome Wheels
    Drilled and Slotted Rotors
    Painted Brake Calipers
    Goodridge SS Brake Lines
    Volant CAI
    Corsa Exhaust
    Painted Engine Cover
    E&G Classics Fine Mesh Grille
    6000K Headlamps
    6000K Fog Lights

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster Limited #32195
    Pearl Black Clear Coat
    Dk. Slate Grey/Cool Vanilla Two-Tone Interior
    Foose Speedster 5 Chrome Wheels

7. Likes Fireduck69 liked this post
    Trunk will not close on folding top retract cycle rexster314's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Base Infrared

Quote Originally Posted by XFireXLR View Post
    Also check the interior switch, this happened to me awhile back and my tech found out after checking the timing on all the top and trunk sensors. I would retract the top and everything would work correctly except the trunk would not close, but it would close after taking my finger off of the button and then pressing it again. This may or may not be your issue, if you haven't already tried this.
    Around the first part of the year, I had the same kind of problem. Raising or lowering resulted in two separate button pushes to complete one cycle. A top relearn fixed my problem. YMMV

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 Blk XLR-V

Default This worked for me

Lower the windows hold for 5 seconds, raise windows hold for five seconds this reset my modules and it worked fond afterwards

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Default Nadoxlrv

Thanks for the info...will try the window 5 sec hold....

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2013 Graphite Metallic XTS Platinum

He's describing the window indexing, which you've already verified as operating correctly (or else the Folding Top sequence wouldn't even start.)

CC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which buttons

Quote Originally Posted by Mamarillo View Post
    Lower the windows hold for 5 seconds, raise windows hold for five seconds this reset my modules and it worked fond afterwards
    Do we hold down the window buttons themselves or the top down buttona

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

N/Z

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
    Do we hold down the window buttons themselves or the top down buttona
    The Window buttons, both the driver's and passenger's.

The top won't work if it doesn't know were the windows are (open, closed).

It's a simple thing to try, and seems to fix problems about 1/3rd of the time.