Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Sable Black XLR/V

Default New (ish) sensor gremlin

So I'm coming home on Tuesday night top-down and it was a bit chilly so I fired-up the HVAC to 75 and within a few seconds I got this message in the DIC: "ENGINE HOT - AC OFF". I also noticed that my temp. gauge was apparently down too.

Got home fine. Opened the hood, other than the electric cooling fan blowing at HIGH nothing seemed amiss. No coolant loss, nothing burning or leaking or smoking.

Today, I decided to take it for a short ride in the neighborhood to see what happened. As I started the car, I got the same message along with the non-responsive temp gauge and fan blowing at high. I drove about 3 miles and happened to glance down just as the temp gauge began to rise. It leveled off at just under 100 which is normal. I turned on the air and it blew nice and cold. No fan noise coming from under the hood.

I stopped to run some errands and when I started the car to go home, all was normal again and stayed that way all the way home.

So, knowing what I know I obviously have a faulty temperature sensor somewhere. I'm taking it in for an oil change tomorrow and I'm hoping my mechanic can find and fix it. Anyone else have this experience that can shed some light on to this?

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 infrared XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by Rule62 View Post
    So I'm coming home on Tuesday night top-down and it was a bit chilly so I fired-up the HVAC to 75 and within a few seconds I got this message in the DIC: "ENGINE HOT - AC OFF". I also noticed that my temp. gauge was apparently down too.

Got home fine. Opened the hood, other than the electric cooling fan blowing at HIGH nothing seemed amiss. No coolant loss, nothing burning or leaking or smoking.

Today, I decided to take it for a short ride in the neighborhood to see what happened. As I started the car, I got the same message along with the non-responsive temp gauge and fan blowing at high. I drove about 3 miles and happened to glance down just as the temp gauge began to rise. It leveled off at just under 100 which is normal. I turned on the air and it blew nice and cold. No fan noise coming from under the hood.

I stopped to run some errands and when I started the car to go home, all was normal again and stayed that way all the way home.

So, knowing what I know I obviously have a faulty temperature sensor somewhere. I'm taking it in for an oil change tomorrow and I'm hoping my mechanic can find and fix it. Anyone else have this experience that can shed some light on to this?
    I had experienced the same problem just after purchasing mine. The coolant temp sensor wiring at the sensor had a bad connection, once that was corrected haven't had that problem since. BTW the coolant temp sensor on the 4.4 sc is located at the aft side of the head. Right Hand side (passenger side)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Sable Black XLR/V

Quote Originally Posted by 64rdc19 View Post
    I had experienced the same problem just after purchasing mine. The coolant temp sensor wiring at the sensor had a bad connection, once that was corrected haven't had that problem since. BTW the coolant temp sensor on the 4.4 sc is located at the aft side of the head. Right Hand side (passenger side)

How exactly did you correct this problem? Did you replace the sensor altogether or did you clean out the connector? Is this something my local mechanic can do or should I take it to the dealership? I'm wonderful warranty so I'm not necessarily looking for the least expensive solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 infrared XLR-V

The sensor was good , was the connector that was loose so I removed it from the sensor cleaned it with contact cleaner then re-installed it making sure it was secure. Problem solved

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 infrared XLR-V

Local mechanic can fix this

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Sable Black XLR/V

Quote Originally Posted by 64rdc19 View Post
    Local mechanic can fix this

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

XLR/V

Original Poster is probably long gone.

Everyone says addressing that sensor requires the removing the super charger. Doesn't even seem reasonable.

I haven't looked yet, but has anyone addressed the pig tail or sensor without removing engine or supercharger?
    2006 Augmented XLR-V, Dubbed Z06 Package. Looking for ways to increase output with current platform.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Sable Black XLR/V

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Trbo View Post
    Original Poster is probably long gone.

Everyone says addressing that sensor requires the removing the super charger. Doesn't even seem reasonable.

I haven't looked yet, but has anyone addressed the pig tail or sensor without removing engine or supercharger?
    Still here, but my XLR has moved on.
    When all was said and done, it was a faulty thermostat that was replaced and the symptom never recurred.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Red XLR / 2007 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by Rule62 View Post
    Still here, but my XLR has moved on.
    When all was said and done, it was a faulty thermostat that was replaced and the symptom never recurred.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am surprised you got rid of your car. I thought you really liked it.
    John F.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Sable Black XLR/V

Quote Originally Posted by beaver_jd View Post
    I am surprised you got rid of your car. I thought you really liked it.
    John F.
    Oh I really did, but after six + years with virtually no problems I decided it was time for a change.

My new ZL/1 lets me haul all my stuff to the beach with the top down.

“All things must die, passing through nature to eternity” -
    W. Shakespeare