Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exhaust module

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Lt. Platinum & 2006 Lt. Platinum XLR-V

Default Alternate Wild to Mild switch

I haven't been on this site since I sold my 06-V & would like to give you folks my wild to mild done in 2006 and still worked fine when sold. I did this in 2006 before wild to mild came out. Not a crawl under car type of thing. I will post pics here as to how to do it, all it requires is a $10 rocker switch, wire, and a couple hours work. the controller is under the trunk floor on the left side, remove cover and you will see the unit. Cut red wire, extend both ends up to center console, remove inner console and take out the part you are going to cut a hole in and BE SURE TO MAKE THE HOLE WHERE IT WON'T INTERFERE WITH ANY ITEMS WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK IN. Wild to Mild the old fashion way. Good Luck
    Exhaust module-exhaust-switch-1-jpg Exhaust module-exhaust-switch-3-jpg Exhaust module-exhaust-switch-2-jpg Exhaust module-exhaust-switch-4-jpg Exhaust module-exhaust-switch-5-jpg Exhaust module-exhaust-switch-6-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by indyraz View Post
    Wiring in a switch would be nice, I fried my module by installing a Mild2Wild controller. So my valves are also stuck open, I noticed while manually cycling these at the exhaust tips that the valves are spring loaded open, that explains why these cars sound so cool for that 1st second on start up until vacuum closes the butterfly valves. So, you say you wired a switch to these? Can you explain that a little better please as I'd like to do the same. What component did you wire to, is there a solenoid or two that sends the vacuum signal? Thanks for any tips - Raz

Ok - I did some digging around under the car and found the "solenoid relay switch" that sends the vacuum to the flap valves, it's located on the far back edge passenger side under the storage tray. If there was a hole in the storage tray you could reach it, but there is not so getting to the tight spot underneath may prove a challenge if necessary. It consists of a large clip over the relay, a wiring connector, plus a few rubber lines holding it in place. I did order the Corvette exhaust control module and will see if that fixes it. (If it does I'll post the part #) later - Raz
    DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT
    Standby( Ichiban BB)

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Default Exhaust mild to wild, old school

Copy images to computer so you can zoom in on tags

Quote Originally Posted by standby-V View Post
    I haven't been on this site since I sold my 06-V & would like to give you folks my wild to mild done in 2006 and still worked fine when sold. I did this in 2006 before wild to mild came out. Not a crawl under car type of thing. I will post pics here as to how to do it, all it requires is a $10 rocker switch, wire, and a couple hours work. the controller is under the trunk floor on the left side, remove cover and you will see the unit. Cut red wire, extend both ends up to center console, remove inner console and take out the part you are going to cut a hole in and BE SURE TO MAKE THE HOLE WHERE IT WON'T INTERFERE WITH ANY ITEMS WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK IN. Wild to Mild the old fashion way. Good Luck
    Exhaust module-exhaust-switch-1-jpg Exhaust module-exhaust-switch-3-jpg Exhaust module-exhaust-switch-2-jpg Exhaust module-exhaust-switch-4-jpg Exhaust module-exhaust-switch-5-jpg Exhaust module-exhaust-switch-6-jpg
    Standby( Ichiban BB)

3. Likes XLRV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Silver

Default Corvette exhaust module

Well, the Corvette module is physically identical to the XLRV module and seems to work the same as I can hear it's switch cycle when power is applied. However it did not solve my issue so next is the vacuum solenoid switch on the passenger underside which I do not believe is opening to cycle the valves. I'll report back once I've checked out the relay switch.

5. Likes XLRV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 XLR-V SILVER

Default Exhaust valves

How can the butterfly valves in the XLRV be tested without running the engine. I don't think mine are opening , any suggestions welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Default Exhaust baffles

Not to my knowledge, baffles will not open or close if engine is not running. Are you saying the vehicle isn't able to run? An easy way to see if they are working is to go too the trunk and open it up, in the left hand corner open up the lid. start the car & cut the red wire which will deactivate the baffles, now touch the two wires together and you should hear & see the baffles open up. i have no idea why you expect exhaust baffles to work without power to them. All those pictures I have posted should be of some value with your project. Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by XLR-V4ME View Post
    How can the butterfly valves in the XLRV be tested without running the engine. I don't think mine are opening , any suggestions welcome.
    Standby( Ichiban BB)

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 XLR-V SILVER

Default Dual mode butterflys stuck

Quote Originally Posted by RBrown View Post
    The butterfly valves are stuck in open position. I was told that the part 15839086 is bad. I tried gm parts direct but was advised it is out of stock. Any idea who might have one or is there away to have this one repaired
    I have the opposite issue, mine won't open. What did you learn about yours? Was it the fuse or solenoid? I watched youtube stuff on the topic and it sounds like if the fuse is blown, they stay open.

Did you ever find the fuse? can you describe which one it might be or pair it to the number slot in the owners manual.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 XLR-V SILVER

Default Baffling baffles

Not to my knowledge, baffles will not open or close if engine is not running. Are you saying the vehicle isn't able to run? An easy way to see if they are working is to go too the trunk and open it up, in the left hand corner open up the lid. start the car & cut the red wire which will deactivate the baffles, now touch the two wires together and you should hear & see the baffles open up. i have no idea why you expect exhaust baffles to work without power to them. All those pictures I have posted should be of some value with your project. Good luck
    Okay, I wasn't sure if there was a bypass or anything to test the baffles, even at idle. It's kind of hard to see them when you are also the only guy around to press the accelerator.

I saw on youtube where pulling the fuse would have them stay open all the time. Do you know what # slot the baffle fuse is in the front block?

Overall I'm trying to learn how the system works to diagnose. If vacuum controlled, do they gradually open as 3500 rpm is achieved or when the threshold is hit, something tells something to open them. what is that something? Solenoid? I just don't want to poke around at something that isn't broken.

Thanks for your knowledge.....

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Silver

Default Exhaust valve position

I can't speak for all V's or Corvettes but MY '06 XLRV has the exhaust valve "flaps" in the open position when the engine is OFF, as soon as the engine starts and gets a bit of vacuum it closes the valves. I proved this to myself by using a poker of sorts and with the engine OFF pushed on the flaps, they can be closed but under spring tension, when released they pop right back open. So, in my case with some component not sending vacuum to my valves with the engine running the flaps stay open. I think my next step is replace the vacuum diverter valve under the right side of the back of the car. The open valve position is not un-enjoyable unless you are just cruising at 60-70 then the drone is a bit annoying. Later my XLR pals!

Quote Originally Posted by scott8060 View Post
    Hey,
    If you can get under the back of your car - you can easily locate the vacuum actuators on the mufflers - look for the rubber vacuum lines - pull one off the diaphragm mechanism - then look to see if the exhaust valve closes as the valve is usually closed and only opens with vacuum. Lets assume the valve closes - this means the electronic controller is bad - which is what I believe you think - If the valve stays open then the diaphragm is bad - but the chances of both sides going bad at the same time is a bit out. I installed a "mild to wild" switch on my V - literally took about 5 minutes - this will allow you to bypass the stock controller.
    Good luck
    Schmidt

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Silver

Default Valve opening?

Please see my note earlier on this, the valves on my V are open with the engine off, at 3500 rpm they open. You can push the valves closed with the engine off but when you release they will pop back open. (This is on my car anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by XLR-V4ME View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 XLR/V, Arctic White, Cashmere interior

Red face exhaust

Just checked my girl...you are correct as mine are open when car is off. Once started getting a bit of vacuum closes until hitting 3500 rpm then open.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 XLR-V SILVER

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by scott8060 View Post
    Just checked my girl...you are correct as mine are open when car is off. Once started getting a bit of vacuum closes until hitting 3500 rpm then open.
    Thanks for all the replies with feedback on the exhaust baffles. Very helpful. Finding parts is another thing....