Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I did notice the front headlight plastic wasn’t perfect. But that’s plastic for ya, I have an Infiniti that has glass headlight glass. Are those pricy?
    Last edited by Burd; 10-09-2018 at 09:29 PM.

2. Thanks 05 GRAND DADDY thanked for this post
    Likes 05 GRAND DADDY liked this post
    Hello from the D 05 GRAND DADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR

Quote Originally Posted by Burd View Post
    I did notice the front headlight plastic wasnít perfect. It thatís plastic for ya, I have an Infiniti that has glass headlight glass. Are those pricy?
    2004 & 2005 had an issue with the Amber bulb day runner lights, they say the bulb itself caused it to look melted an some even cracked. I had mine replaced back when I purchased mine in 2011, but now trying to find even a used headlight unit is getting hard! So if it looks melted and cracked that happened to most all of them! You can turn on the fog lights and they will go off or run the headlights all the time! They are saying here that there are people getting them redone, but also sounded pricey to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WENDY & DAN
    I'LL HAVE MY WONDERFUL WIFE!!!!!!!
    MY XLR & AND A ICE COLD BEER!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)

I did notice the front headlight plastic wasnít perfect. It thatís plastic for ya, I have an Infiniti that has glass headlight glass. Are those pricy?
    You would have to replace the whole headlight to fix that as far as I know - thereís not been much luck getting them apart without damaging them beyond use.

í04-05 had a problem from early on with ďcrazingĒ of the lens in front of the DRL (basically it looks burnt, because itís pretty much getting burnt from the bulb). Donít know if thatís part of what youíre talking about. After all these years itís also popping up some on later models, or at least through Ď06-07. If you get headlights in good shape thereís info on here about replacing DRLís with LEDís so you donít develop that problem.

If youíre just talking about the outside clear lens of the headlght being beat up, mine werenít bad but after I put Xpel headlight protection film on them it had the side benefit of making them look pretty much like new. Plus thereís various headlight polishes out there, but I havenít ever tried any of those.

yep, I drive a hybrid - a V8 bred for high speed!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Custom hood & trunk liner
    Zaino polish

5. Likes 05 GRAND DADDY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I gotta go back and go over it good. I could kick myself for not collecting literature through the years. I didn’t get a press pack when it was launched. I was always in the Cadillac booth. I could have been grabbing stuff through the years. Mats, lit so on. Lol. You guys have been a huge help, thanks.
    I remember building the stainless turntable I want to say for the XLR press release.
    Last year, I got my site into the GM Heritage center, Greg the curator, took care of the Cadillacs and Lasalles before the museum opened. I told him I worked at the Display House and he gave me a nickel tour, there’s a old caddy turntable set up there. The Chicago and New York raised floor is set up in the middle of the museum, he got from the scrap just before the bailout, now I gotta go back and see what Caddy’s are there.
    Last edited by Burd; 10-10-2018 at 10:37 AM.

7. Likes 05 GRAND DADDY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004/XLR

Hello, names BURD. I own and operate a Firebird forum, Iím looking at an 04 XLR. itís in great shape, Iíve always wanted one. I worked at the display house that had the GM account for years, I traveled for the auto shows and always wanted one. This one Iím looking at is silver /black interior, what scares me it has 98k on it. I was told PO did a 8k Maint on it. It appears stock, but has a Corsa exhaust on it. Iím going back this week to look at it closer. And hear it run. I would pay my GM mechanic to go over it, but you guys should know , is there anything I should I look for ? Itís around 14k, But I could get some off I think. Only damage is a frot lic plate holder was installed on the front bumper and the dr side leather seat covers and bottom foam looks like it need to be replaced.
    Welcome, born and bread in Detroit now I live in Indiana die hard Michigan fan.

9. Likes Cadillac Tech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nkent17 View Post
    Welcome, born and bread in Detroit now I live in Indiana die hard Michigan fan.
    ​GO BLUE!
    Bruce

Life's too short to drive a boring car

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004/XLR

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tech View Post
    ​GO BLUE!
    M GO BLUE

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys, lol

well, I’m going back today. I hope it’s still there.
    ill get more pics too.
    Last edited by Burd; 10-18-2018 at 10:23 AM.

13. Likes 05 GRAND DADDY liked this post
    Hello from the D 05 GRAND DADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR

Thanks Guys, lol

well, Iím going back today. I hope itís still there.
    You go BuddyHello from the D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WENDY & DAN
    I'LL HAVE MY WONDERFUL WIFE!!!!!!!
    MY XLR & AND A ICE COLD BEER!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Gold Mist XLR & 79' Eldorado Convert

Default Welcome to The XLR Forum

Welcome to The Site. FYI, it is my understanding that the headlights in 2004' and a maybe a few 2005's (?) have problems. Apparently they get too hot and melt or something? I understand they are often replaced with those out of a 2006 or newer. Also, they aren't cheap. Around $3000.00 to maybe $5,000.00 each on eBay. Good luck in your search, and again 'Welcome To The Site'!

16. Likes hawkeye372 liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

N/Z

Check for water in the electronics/hydraulics well in the trunk on the drivers side. Very expensive to fix. If it shows a water line above the electronics, look elsewhere.

Check for water in the tail/headlights (almost impossible to find replacements).

Look for light oil on the upper part of the engine these a cheap to fix, if it looks like it's been steam cleaned recently it may have had oil leaks. By now it's either been fixed, or not. Look for lower oil leaks, these are expensive to fix, which this year did have a problem with, but was repairable. Mine was done years ago under warrantee.

Cycle the top up and down a few times.

Watch for the engine speed to go up and down after starting, this can point toward simple vacuume leaks, mostly easy to fix hard to find.

I'm guessing you bought it already or have moved on?

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Default Really Good Advice on some common XLR issues.

Quote Originally Posted by David_B View Post
    Check for water in the electronics/hydraulics well in the trunk on the drivers side. Very expensive to fix. If it shows a water line above the electronics, look elsewhere.

Check for water in the tail/headlights (almost impossible to find replacements).

Look for light oil on the upper part of the engine these a cheap to fix, if it looks like it's been steam cleaned recently it may have had oil leaks. By now it's either been fixed, or not. Look for lower oil leaks, these are expensive to fix, which this year did have a problem with, but was repairable. Mine was done years ago under warrantee.

Cycle the top up and down a few times.

Watch for the engine speed to go up and down after starting, this can point toward simple vacuume leaks, mostly easy to fix hard to find.

I'm guessing you bought it already or have moved on?
    Yup. Good advice! Mine dripped oil from the front bottom of the timing chain cover when I first got it. Not much. Just a drop or two occasionally, yet annoying. So I decided to fix it myself. A real PITA Job. Pull the radiator, drain the cooling system, etc. Basically disassemble the whole front of the engine. Special puller required for removing The Harmonic Balancer (borrowed one from a friend who's a Cadillac Tec). Why the factory won't use a skim coat of RTV Sealer on flat gasket matting surfaces at assembly to me is just stupid. Would probably cost them an additional $2.00 per vehicle? Anyhow, I did get it done, and no more leaks.

And for the vacuum leaks? Yes, surging is evidence of this. Spritzing small amounts of Brake Cleaner around the intake manifold and known engine vacuum locations will result in a change of engine RPM which one can hear. If this occurs, that's where the vacuum leak is located. The 10mm bolts around XLR intakes are famous for becoming loose by themselves. To retighten, 86 inch pounds following the torque setting sequence. Yet when testing, keep a fire extinguisher handy as Brake Cleaner is highly flammable!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 04 black

60,000 nice shape, in storage, in NY

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

hope you used 2 bolts per factory specs to reinstall the crankshaft. Its a one time use bolt. You have to have one new one to torgue with, then remove it and replace with another. If you didnt, might want to check it out as when the crankshaft comes loose so to the oil pump from what I have heard. Not done one yet but really need to be sure you did it correctly

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Default Yup. Sure did. : )

Quote Originally Posted by long Tall Sally View Post
    hope you used 2 bolts per factory specs to reinstall the crankshaft. Its a one time use bolt. You have to have one new one to torgue with, then remove it and replace with another. If you didnt, might want to check it out as when the crankshaft comes loose so to the oil pump from what I have heard. Not done one yet but really need to be sure you did it correctly
    Totally correct. In fact I actually read the manual thoroughly before I did this job. Did indeed use two crankshaft bolts. Also a skim coat of RTV Sealer. Better yet? No leaks.