Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)

Default Whither Cadillac?

We have a good sized international auto show for new cars in mid January every year. I havenít been in a while, but last I went Cadillac had a display and once I even ended up buying a STS that was in the show. I checked out info online on this yearís show because my son is interested in going, and was shocked to see Cadillac isnít part of it as it isnít shown on the floor plan.

Then I started thinking, ďwhat could they put in the show?Ē Theyíve discontinued the ATS, XTS, & CT6. The CTS is lame duck pending the creation of the CT5. So, the only current models they could bring that will actually be made going forward are the Escalade, XT5, & XT4. Ahhh, now I see why they arenít in the show...

Whatís scary is this lack of product is not too different from GMís bankruptcy days, when they had only the CTS & Escalade & threw the XTS out there because they had nothing else in the pipeline. Iím not sure how much de Nysschen is responsible for this as opposed to disarray at Cadillac/GM generally. But it doesnít bode well for Cadillacís survival.

I will throw out that I recently did what I said I wouldnít do & got an ATS coupe - wanted an American brand car before they all disappeared in favor of SUVís/CUVís. The fit & finish inside and out are miles beyond any of the three daily driver Caddies Iíve had since 2004 (CTS, STS, CTS coupe). I havenít found anything out of place. It has a super smooth transmission & great acceleration (engine is the 3.6), & handles like itís on rails. That said, it is small inside & out even as compared to my CTS coupe, the sporty ride is very stiff & jarring (may improve once I burn up & replace the run flats), & CUE really is quite an Achilles heel. So, the product is noticeably improved though itís not selling, with overpricing likely part of the problem. Also Cadillac hasnít lost the ďbargain luxuryĒ label when youíre the second owner of a low mileage one!

What do you guys think about Cadillacís future?

yep, I drive a hybrid - a V8 bred for high speed!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Custom hood & trunk liner
    Zaino polish

2. Thanks Mark0polo thanked for this post
    Home: Mountsberg, Ontario Canada winters in Port Charlotte Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2009 XLR Crystal Red Metalic

I am hoping for the best! As you said: they have not done anything truly new but they still have a loyal following..... Who knows?!?
    Sandy
    You can't be a car collector with only one car!
    Get out & drive 'em.... 'cause if you don't - the next owner will !
    My XLR: A fast Red one w Corsa Exhaust & V sway bar

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

I was at the dealer talking to a tech and he had about 50 radio heads on a bench all warranty replacements (about 2500 each) plus headlights full of water and he was replaceing new shocks on a 16 model with 12000 miles. Seems like they are going to have to step up the quality to remain in business.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 XLR-V RII'07 RIII'08 SA'09 CO'10 NCSC'11 PA'12 BG'13 MT'14 VBOBX'15

Put this in the show..... I'm a buyer!!!

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/cadill...-ar183681.html

Chad

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

I just spoke with Cadillac. Half the parts are on back order, the other half have been discontinued. sorry

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Quote Originally Posted by Popbigguy View Post
    Put this in the show..... I'm a buyer!!!

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/cadill...-ar183681.html

Chad
    Now that is BAD A$$!

Quote Originally Posted by long Tall Sally View Post
    I just spoke with Cadillac. Half the parts are on back order, the other half have been discontinued. sorry
    ???

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Zaino polish

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Quote Originally Posted by long Tall Sally View Post
    I was at the dealer talking to a tech and he had about 50 radio heads on a bench all warranty replacements (about 2500 each) plus headlights full of water and he was replaceing new shocks on a 16 model with 12000 miles. Seems like they are going to have to step up the quality to remain in business.
    CUE (Crappy Useless Emptiness) is a dog, although from the mounds of car magazines at our house with reviews of new cars, all manufacturers are struggling with that stuff to some extent. Most dealers with warranty work (in my experience) are just going to replace things completely instead of trying to fix them - so you end up with the 50 radio heads. I havenít had problems learning how to use CUE, & I really donít mind the haptic touch HVAC etc controls. In fact I currently have a 2019 XT5 loaner, & the HVAC controls have been changed to toggle switches. Youíre still going to have to look at the switch until you learn what is where by feel. The haptic stuff is no different, maybe better now that Iíve gotten used to it because I know something is happening when I get the feedback.

My CUE switches up minor infotainment stuff from start to start, easy enough to resolve by pushing a button to get back where you want, or by turning CUE or the car off for a ďreset.Ē But itís aggravating. I happen to like the rest of the car enough to somewhat overlook that, but most people wouldnít - & certainly not Cadillacís target audience.

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Zaino polish

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

parts are already on back order for the 2021 xlr replacement or discontinued. that is a joke. Its like they are dropping support on it even quicker than they did on our cars.