Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Northstar V8 for 2011

I was told Tuesday that the Northstar V8 will be built and installed in Cadillacs up to 2011. 2010 was supposed to be the last year for the Northstar V8 and the DTS.
    Bruce

Life's too short to drive a boring car

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Black XLR V, 2005 Black XLR, 2000 Black DTX, 2010 Black CTX, 2007 SRX

I'm glad to hear the N'star will be around another year. While its had its issues, it really is an awesome engine.

Chicago Dave

mswaim

Sounds like they just want to delay tooling up. Or worse, they have not yet designed a replacement, which means they will be behind the curve as others bring to market more economical power. Keep in mind, every market analyst worth their salt is predicting fuel costs to raise and remain steady in 2010.

Post Thanks / Like

The sad part is that there won't be a replacement V8 from Cadillac. The Northstar is our last V8. Future products will either be V6 powered or use the Chevrolet LS V8 engine.
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Platinum/Ebony,2011DTS,Platinum Edition White Diamond.

That is why I traded in July for the 2009 DTS. I now have 1200 miles on it and plan to keep it as I have no desire to drive anything less than a V8.
    Robert (BB)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by First Robin View Post
    That is why I traded in July for the 2009 DTS. I now have 1200 miles on it and plan to keep it as I have no desire to drive anything less than a V8.
    I agree! I love my American V8s
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Light Platinum, President, "Midwest Marauders"

Do you think GM will diddle with the Chevy LS and make it a Cadillac version (variable valve timing, more valves per cylinder) not that it will improve an already impressive engine.

I assume Ford and Fiat, er Chrylser, have plans to kill their V8's as well....

Post Thanks / Like

No, I would imagine they are qiute happy with the LSV8 and won't want to spend a lot more money to make those changes.

I don't know about Ford or Chrysler, but Audi and BMW both have new V8s.
    Bruce

mswaim

Glad to hear they will at least have a V8 option. I too like my american muscle; but the reality is Obama will dictate our choices as long as he is in power. Rising fuel costs will provide all the momentum he needs to push yet another of his big government solutions.

As for Ford; they have no plans to drop their V8's; the 4.6 is very close to the Northstar for power/weight/fuel consumption and they plug/play it wherever they can. But it too will need some tinkering or a newer version with improved fuel numbers if it is to remain as their mainstay.