Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR

Default Drive Shaft Seal

A word of warning to SRX owners. I had a 2010 SRX with only 40K miles on the odometer. I took it on a trip from PA to GA and noticed a "grinding / grabbing" in the rear end the morning after I arrived at my destination. I took it to the Cadillac dealership and they had it for two and a half days. They informed me that the seal went bad on the rear portion of the drive shaft and this had a domino affect on the entire rear end assembly. Bottom line: $6,000 in parts and a 10 hour labor cost absorbed by GM warranty. They had never seen this issue before however, they do not have much need for all wheel drive in the south. I spoke with a dealer I know further north who informed me that Cadillac is aware of the problem however, it is far more cost affective to repair as necessary rather than to recall all SRX4s for examination / retrofit. I guess it is not a huge problem just sporadic.

On the plus side I had a chance to 'play' with a new ATS. It is a little small but has good cruising speed on the interstate. The mileage was very good as well.

Traded the 2010 for a 2012 with 9K miles on it when I got home...
    Dave (aka: Hatty)

Drive Shaft Seal 05 GRAND DADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR

Quote Originally Posted by Harrisburg Hat View Post
    A word of warning to SRX owners. I had a 2010 SRX with only 40K miles on the odometer. I took it on a trip from PA to GA and noticed a "grinding / grabbing" in the rear end the morning after I arrived at my destination. I took it to the Cadillac dealership and they had it for two and a half days. They informed me that the seal went bad on the rear portion of the drive shaft and this had a domino affect on the entire rear end assembly. Bottom line: $6,000 in parts and a 10 hour labor cost absorbed by GM warranty. They had never seen this issue before however, they do not have much need for all wheel drive in the south. I spoke with a dealer I know further north who informed me that Cadillac is aware of the problem however, it is far more cost affective to repair as necessary rather than to recall all SRX4s for examination / retrofit. I guess it is not a huge problem just sporadic.

On the plus side I had a chance to 'play' with a new ATS. It is a little small but has good cruising speed on the interstate. The mileage was very good as well.

Traded the 2010 for a 2012 with 9K miles on it when I got home...
    Hey Hatty good to see you back on here again it's been a while!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Dan Gouker
    WENDY & DAN
    I'LL HAVE MY WONDERFUL WIFE!!!!!!!
    MY XLR & AND A ICE COLD BEER!!!!!!!