Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Millage

Post Thanks / Like

I had an '07 and sold it in '11. Missed it so much I bought an '06 in December. I thought I would drive occasionally on weekends but it's too much fun to drive not to enjoy. It's now my daily driver.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2. Likes XLRATING, beaver_jd, Smoothran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)

Quote Originally Posted by BillyTeagle View Post
    I had an '07 and sold it in '11. Missed it so much I bought an '06 in December. I thought I would drive occasionally on weekends but it's too much fun to drive not to enjoy. It's now my daily driver.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    They ARE addictive! We expressed our addiction by having 2 at the same time, a base & a V. We do actually try to keep the miles down on the V, though it gets put for plenty of exercise because to us, it’s more harmful to let it sit. No holds barred on the base, though we’ve only put 1u5k miles on it since we got it in 2010.

Neither one of us can use a XLR as a daily driver due to the nature of our jobs/what we commute through, which keeps the miles down. But from different people on this forum I have no doubt those Northstars can handle 150k no problem.

yep, I drive a hybrid - a V8 bred for high speed!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Custom hood & trunk liner
    Zaino polish

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Black XLR V, 2005 Black XLR, 2000 Black DTX, 2010 Black CTX, 2007 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by XLRATING View Post
    They ARE addictive! We expressed our addiction by having 2 at the same time, a base & a V. We do actually try to keep the miles down on the V, though it gets put for plenty of exercise because to us, it’s more harmful to let it sit. No holds barred on the base, though we’ve only put 1u5k miles on it since we got it in 2010.

Neither one of us can use a XLR as a daily driver due to the nature of our jobs/what we commute through, which keeps the miles down. But from different people on this forum I have no doubt those Northstars can handle 150k no problem.
    I totally agree, Amy - VERY addicting. I saw how happy you two were with having two XLR's - I did the same thing.

I used my base ('05) a LOT for the first few years. I try to keep the miles down on the V - but its TOO much fun, too. My base has over 211K on it now, and it still has a lot of get up and go (speaking of Northstars - my 2000 DTX is now at 260K - its my favorite to drive, after the XLR's).

My Northstars: 2000 DTX - 260K, 2005 XLR - 211K, 2007 SRX - 185K and 2007 XLR V - 60K
    Chicago Dave

"Everything in life happens somewhere else ... why not have fun getting there and in style"

5. Likes Smoothran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoDave View Post
    I totally agree, Amy - VERY addicting. I saw how happy you two were with having two XLR's - I did the same thing.

I used my base ('05) a LOT for the first few years. I try to keep the miles down on the V - but its TOO much fun, too. My base has over 211K on it now, and it still has a lot of get up and go (speaking of Northstars - my 2000 DTX is now at 260K - its my favorite to drive, after the XLR's).

My Northstars: 2000 DTX - 260K, 2005 XLR - 211K, 2007 SRX - 185K and 2007 XLR V - 60K
    Dave - I stand corrected - you’ve shown the Northstars can handle 200k no problem!

Now if it would just stop raining & warm up so we could get just one of them out for fun...

p.s.: copycat! But we’re ok with that kind of copying

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Zaino polish

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2009 XLR Platinum Silver

I drive mine every chance I get. I had it out a couple weeks ago because we had enough rain to wash all the salt off the roads! I am a firm believer of not saving it for the next guy! It is a given that as mileage increases things will leak, wear out and break. That is part of owning anything that gets used on a daily basis.

8. Likes Smoothran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 (red) with wire grrile

We live in Camden,on the Maine coast, so when I purchased my 2007 in June, I insured her with Haggerty for a six month driving season. I put her in rented heated storage back in the middle of October, topped off the tank and added fuel stabilizer, purchased four tire pads for her to sleep upon, disconnected the battery, propped the hood so it's slightly open, and tucked her in with a cover. She's close by, but haven't seen her since. So she'll be asleep until April, and even that seems early since it has been snowing for 24 hours, blowing nearly 60 miles per hour. Hard to even conceive of spring and the top down on my XLR. Happy day, James

10. Likes Mark0polo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Miles on XLR

I don’t drive mine much, but I wouldn’t worry about the dependability. The NS engine is strong and reliable. We have two other Cadillacs in our collector fleet, and they have only had normal maintenance and some things just wear out over time and miles.
    We call it “The Baby” because it’s a small Cadillac, and it sure is fun to run around in during spring and fall. Just finished radiator, belts and hoses, so as soon as the cold rain stops, we’re ready!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Quote Originally Posted by BeardBros View Post
    I drive mine every chance I get. I had it out a couple weeks ago because we had enough rain to wash all the salt off the roads! I am a firm believer of not saving it for the next guy! It is a given that as mileage increases things will leak, wear out and break. That is part of owning anything that gets used on a daily basis.
    Things also need replacing on cars when they just sit (biggest example for XLR’s would be the silicon sealant used as gaskets in the engine). So you might as well enjoy them & “earn” the repairs!

I’ve also frequently read that because Northstars are high compression “racing” engines, it’s even woarse to let them sit &/or drive them like Miss Daisy. I’m happy to use that as an excuse to drive with a little WOT when I get a chance!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Zaino polish

13. Likes Mark0polo liked this post