Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Xlr v spark plug availability

TomP

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR-V
Gmpartsgiant voided my spark plug order due to unavailable part. What are folks on the forum using for a plug when you need them? Thanks

Dont use copper plugs unless you want to change them every 20000 miles. Iridium plugs last 4 times more than copper. Here is the info
from Rock Auto.
CHAMPION 9808 {#12592619, RS8WYPB5} Iridium Info
Gap 0.040 IN

Part image
$5.14
qty_down_white.png
qty_up_white.png

Add to Cart

DENSO 5327 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Iridium Power Info
Gap .032

Part image
$5.28
qty_down_white.png
qty_up_white.png

Add to Cart

NGK 3690 {#TR7IX} Iridium IX Info
Gap 0.040"
Choose
($5.49) x4

<
Part image
>
$5.49
qty_down_white.png
qty_up_white.png

Add to Cart

They're inexpensive so every 20k change isn't bad for the better performance. I should have also mentioned I'm running a V with increased boost, base models you can put any plug in it

I my self have better things to do than to change plugs every 20000 miles (Been there done that) when for $30 more i am good to go for 100000 miles.

I my self have better things to do than to change plugs every 20000 miles (Been there done that) when for $30 more i am good to go for 100000 miles.
5min every 20k isn't much haha. Like I said, for a higher boost application you want better spark. If you're staying stock, just get regular iridium.

Copper is not a better spark plug and it takes longer to R&R 8 plugs.

Yes and i would think 99% on this site are also. What did y7ou do to yours?

Non of those changes would improve R&R of plugs being an ASE certified master mechanic with 40 years experience i would say on a good day from start to finish 1 1/2 hrs this includes gathering tools, covering fenders, removing cover, R&R 8 torx screws, blowing out plug holes, R&R plugs, lubing with anti seize the threads torquing to 15 lbs . Do not leave off the torx screws as the coils will vibrate and go bad quickly.

Non of those changes would improve R&R of plugs being an ASE certified master mechanic with 40 years experience i would say on a good day from start to finish 1 1/2 hrs this includes gathering tools, covering fenders, removing cover, R&R 8 torx screws, blowing out plug holes, R&R plugs, lubing with anti seize the threads torquing to 15 lbs . Do not leave off the torx screws as the coils will vibrate and go bad quickly.
Not to disrespect your experience, but most mechanics are just that, mechanics, knowing how to repair and swap parts. Performance building is a while different game. I don't take my car when it has regular problems to my tuner, nor ask my mechanic to install and work on performance parts. I didn't do those upgrades for the plugs, I did the plugs to support the mods. 1.5 hours for a plug job is highway robbery. Even a novice should be able to make it a 30 minute job.

OK friends, fight nice. :) We are here to help each other, right? Next question: is there a tool that makes the coil pak removal easier and less likely to damage it?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom