Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Got rid of my Mag Ride Shocks!

keep us posted .the rears are not hard to change .Easier than the fronts. Those sims have failed on the escalades and others he sells them for and burnt out the ride control modules per members of another cadillac forum. . I may buy a set to see what units he is using but I have replaced a couple on customers cars with the caspers with good results . For the little savings and extra work to cut and splice them in I recommend buying the proven plug and play caspers. Damage to a 2500$ control module is a high dollar risk.

keep us posted .the rears are not hard to change .Easier than the fronts. Those sims have failed on the escalades and others he sells them for and burnt out the ride control modules per members of another cadillac forum. . I may buy a set to see what units he is using but I have replaced a couple on customers cars with the caspers with good results . For the little savings and extra work to cut and splice them in I recommend buying the proven plug and play caspers. Damage to a 2500$ control module is a high dollar risk.
You were right the back was much easier. The ride has tightened up significantly and still smooth. I used the ZO6 shocks all the way around with the resistors. Onto the next project, transmission fluid and filter change.

No issues with the OBD? Sounds great.
Which type of transmission fluid do you plan to use?
I had to change mine 2 times.

Hello everyone, I just wanted to let everyone know that it is possible to get rid of your Mag Ride Shocks on your XLR. I had a "clunk" in the front suspension going in and out of driveways and over speed bumps. I have several friends in the automotive repair business. I took my 04 XLR to three different shops to try to figure out what was loose in my front suspension. All three times we could not find anything wrong with my front suspension. Except that all four shocks where leaking. I knew that I needed to replace my shocks, so I started to research part numbers and prices. Mag Ride shocks are crazy expensive. The cheapest I could find them for was on Amazon for approx. $1800, delivered to my front door. I could get a set of four Bilsteins on Ebay for $396 to my front door. I had read in several Corvette sites that they where able to deprogram the F55 function in their Body Control Module with a Tech2. I also read that a lot of Corvette guys where using plug in simulators to trick the Body Control Module into thinking they still had Mag Ride Shocks in their cars. From everything I read, the simulators where effective about 50% of the time. 50% of the Corvette guys where happy with the simulators and 50% of the guys said they where junk and a waste of money. With all of this info and a couple of months of going back and forth in my head on the best solution, I finally decided to buy the Bilstein Shocks and deprogram my Body Control Module. I replaced all four shock here at home, pretty straight forward, no issues. I test drove the XLR in town and on freeway. Car was super smooth and no more "clunk", but the dreaded -MAX SPEED 80 MPH- displayed on the DIC. Next day I take my XLR to my buddy's transmission shop. He borrowed one of his friends Tech2 for us to use. We spent the entire afternoon trying to deprogram the F55 function in the Body Control Module to no avail. We tried everything we could think of, nothing worked. If we lied to the Tech2 and told it my car was a Corvette we could see the F55 function, but the Tech2 knew the car was not a Corvette, so it would not let us turn off the F55 function. When we would tell the Tech2 that my car was an XLR, we where not able to find the F55 function in the Body Control Module. We even tried using a second Tech2, same thing. We even tried looking for the F55 function in every other Control Module, just in case GM was sneaky and tried to hide it somewhere else. What we came away with was that, some Corvettes have Mag Ride suspensions, others do not. All Cadillac XLR's have Mag Ride suspensions, it's not an option. GM must have written the software differently for the XLR's and Corvettes Body Control Modules. As they come down the assembly line the Corvettes with Mag Ride get the F55 option turned on. Corvettes without Mag Ride do not get the F55 option turned on. XLR's it's not an option, they all have Mag Ride, so no need to have an F55 option to turn on or off. So, no need to write it into the software of the XLR's Body Control Module. It's not an option on the car, It's not an option in the Body Control Module. Now, what to do? The XLR runs and drives great, but the dreaded -MAX SPEED 80 MPH- displayed on the DIC. So, I started to research simulators. I decided to take a chance and ordered a set from Eckler's via Ebay for $218.88 to my front door. A few days later my order from Eckler's arrived. I installed the four Shock simulators and Walla! No more dreaded -MAX SPEED 80 MPH- displayed on the DIC. I didn't have to do anything else, the Body Control Module reset itself. I'm So Happy!! It can be done!! It worked on my 04 XLR. My XLR feels like a brand new car.
I did the exact same thing on my 2005, and it worked perfectly I just hit 41,000 miles on it.

DOES SIMULATOR FIX WORK ON '05'S?

Great thread. However I have a potential problem. Ordered the simulators from Casper's. Lacking sufficient courage, I am having the modification done by a really good Corvette shop. Received a call that the Casper connector has a tab that doesn't allow it to go right into the XLR connector. Did you have to trim it to fit or was it an exact fit? THANKS!
Same thing happened to me TWICE, finally just gave up got them soldered in but after that if worked great and yes it's a 2005 XLR, just hit 41,000 miles

this repair works fine if you are just replacing your shocks and the module has not been water soaked. This replacement works on all years and the proper part number casper simulators are a direct fit .they just require a zip tie to hold them together better. This will not fix the car if your 04/05 module has been wet and the service ride control light it on. One person claims that it fixed a wet module but 50 have done it and know it usually leaves the 80 mph light on.
The little tab does not prevent them from plugging in together it just does not snap and lock them together . A simple zip tie is all that is needed

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I just wanted to let everyone know that it is possible to get rid of your Mag Ride Shocks on your XLR. I had a "clunk" in the front suspension going in and out of driveways and over speed bumps. I have several friends in the automotive repair business. I took my 04 XLR to three different shops to try to figure out what was loose in my front suspension. All three times we could not find anything wrong with my front suspension. Except that all four shocks where leaking. I knew that I needed to replace my shocks, so I started to research part numbers and prices. Mag Ride shocks are crazy expensive. The cheapest I could find them for was on Amazon for approx. $1800, delivered to my front door. I could get a set of four Bilsteins on Ebay for $396 to my front door. I had read in several Corvette sites that they where able to deprogram the F55 function in their Body Control Module with a Tech2. I also read that a lot of Corvette guys where using plug in simulators to trick the Body Control Module into thinking they still had Mag Ride Shocks in their cars. From everything I read, the simulators where effective about 50% of the time. 50% of the Corvette guys where happy with the simulators and 50% of the guys said they where junk and a waste of money. With all of this info and a couple of months of going back and forth in my head on the best solution, I finally decided to buy the Bilstein Shocks and deprogram my Body Control Module. I replaced all four shock here at home, pretty straight forward, no issues. I test drove the XLR in town and on freeway. Car was super smooth and no more "clunk", but the dreaded -MAX SPEED 80 MPH- displayed on the DIC. Next day I take my XLR to my buddy's transmission shop. He borrowed one of his friends Tech2 for us to use. We spent the entire afternoon trying to deprogram the F55 function in the Body Control Module to no avail. We tried everything we could think of, nothing worked. If we lied to the Tech2 and told it my car was a Corvette we could see the F55 function, but the Tech2 knew the car was not a Corvette, so it would not let us turn off the F55 function. When we would tell the Tech2 that my car was an XLR, we where not able to find the F55 function in the Body Control Module. We even tried using a second Tech2, same thing. We even tried looking for the F55 function in every other Control Module, just in case GM was sneaky and tried to hide it somewhere else. What we came away with was that, some Corvettes have Mag Ride suspensions, others do not. All Cadillac XLR's have Mag Ride suspensions, it's not an option. GM must have written the software differently for the XLR's and Corvettes Body Control Modules. As they come down the assembly line the Corvettes with Mag Ride get the F55 option turned on. Corvettes without Mag Ride do not get the F55 option turned on. XLR's it's not an option, they all have Mag Ride, so no need to have an F55 option to turn on or off. So, no need to write it into the software of the XLR's Body Control Module. It's not an option on the car, It's not an option in the Body Control Module. Now, what to do? The XLR runs and drives great, but the dreaded -MAX SPEED 80 MPH- displayed on the DIC. So, I started to research simulators. I decided to take a chance and ordered a set from Eckler's via Ebay for $218.88 to my front door. A few days later my order from Eckler's arrived. I installed the four Shock simulators and Walla! No more dreaded -MAX SPEED 80 MPH- displayed on the DIC. I didn't have to do anything else, the Body Control Module reset itself. I'm So Happy!! It can be done!! It worked on my 04 XLR. My XLR feels like a brand new car.
Was vehicle with simulators really able to do over 80MPH after all that? Have same issue with a beyond repair Suspension module.
Thanks
Jim

Just got rid of my mag shocks as well today. Replaced with Bilsteins and the Corvette simulators from Caspers. No more clunk from the driver's rear wheel!

Same car same problems. Can you give me the part numbers for the BILSTEIN Shocks and the Eckler Shock Stimulators'?

Yes, All four Bilsteins for $396 plus simulators for $218.88, grand total of $614.88. Plus the car rides like a dream, as a Cadillac should.

Oh Yeah! My XLR has 81,000 miles, so I didn't fell bad that I had to replace the shocks. I have owned the car for two and a half years. It never road quite right, then the "clunk" started and kept getting worst. It was the shocks the whole time.

If you want a little stiffer/sporty ride you could buy KYB's or Koni's. You could also use Z51 or Z06 shocks too. It opens a lot of doors for the XLR.

The simulator kit that I purchased came with the four shock simulators, and it also came with four ride height simulators too. So, you could disconnect your ride height sensors and lower the car. If you buy the simulators from Caspers website they are only $175.

Part #'s:
Front Shocks, Bilstein B8, 24-029773
Rear Shocks, Bilstein B8, 24-029780
Simulators, Caspers Electronics, 109096
RTD Simulator C6 'Vette

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I'll be happy to help if I can. I did a lot of research on this subject.

See Ya! Randy
Thanks for the info and help!

Casper simulators are what most all of the for guys plus most of the corvette guys use.I have never seen them turn off the 80 mph light if you have an 04 or 05. They will on 06-09'as the suspension modules do no go bad on those cars . I would not count on simulators turning off your light if its on . if your module is working and you swap shocks, yes it will turn it off. However ,if your modules have failed,got wet , simulators will not turn off the light.

Last edited:
We have been doing these for years and done about 20 cars. There has been plenty of write ups about this. Casper simulators are what most all of the for guys plus most of the corvette guys use.I have never seen them turn off the 80 mph light if you have an 04 or 05. They will on 06-09'as the suspension modules do not go bad on those cars . I would not count not simulators turning off your light if its on . if your module is working and you swap shocks, yes it will turn it off. However ,if your modules had failed,got wet , simulators will not turn off the light.

Interesting thread to pour through, and great information! I'm curious about cross compatibility regarding shocks for XLR vs Corvette. I have a opportunity to buy 4 new XLR magride shocks at a great deal, with the goal of installing on a 08 Base Corvette, but don't want to go through the trouble to find out the connections are somehow different or something won't line up. Does anyone know specifically if GM part #19302790 (front MRC shock) and 19302791 & 19302792 rear left and right, will fit on an 08 Base Corvette needed now shocks due to leaking stock MRC shocks?
The ACDelco part numbers are fronts 580-1061, back 580-1062 & 580-1063.

I've seen mixed information on this topic, with some forum commenters saying generically the "suspension is the same." Then when doing my own parts search for the specific vehicle, I'm having the various websites that sell these shocks indicate the part numbers for the XLR shock is not compatible for the 08 Base. I understand the vehicles vary in weight, which leads me to be nervous that the specific MRC shocks for Corvette vs. XLR could have variance...

Any help appreciated!

If you are getting the xlr shocks at a super deal buy them, sell them to an xlr owner and buy the proper shocks for the corvette. Since the control module for xlr and corvette interchange the difference in ride and weight is in the shock valveing. If yours have leaked, your ride may be bad enough the new shocks will be better and you may have a fine ride.

If you are getting the xlr shocks at a super deal buy them, sell them to an xlr owner and buy the proper shocks for the corvette. Since the control module for xlr and corvette interchange the difference in ride and weight is in the shock valveing. If yours have leaked, your ride may be bad enough the new shocks will be better and you may have a fine ride.
Mine are completely gone on the front (creaking and popping when turning into driveway or any uneven drive entry. The backs are leaking but seem to have some functionality, but that may be subjective.
My mindset is I don't care if it's simply a matter of a slight variance in ride feel. I'm likely to sell the car in a year or two, and move into a C8.
I just don't want to dive into the project and find I've got incompatible shocks on hand as I'm leaning on some friends for tools and their shop, and hoping to complete in one day.

Thanks for the info and help!
Same car same problems. Can you give me the part numbers for the BILSTEIN Shocks and the Eckler Shock Stimulators'?

Richard,

I just came across your thread. I am looking for rear shocks for my 2007 XLR V but cannot find them anywhere. If have any suggestions on where I might find them or functional alternatives for a 2007, it would be appreciated.

Thank you

Derrick

Hello from Switzerland.
Happy owner of a 2005 XLR, I followed your subject on the original MAG suspensions.
Wanting to have a firmer and above all better damped car, I ordered Bilstein B6 shock absorbers with Casper 106096 simulators.
Installation done without problems and perfect first road test. The next day a short walk and message "check adjustable suspension system" after 2 resets, a message indicating "maximum speed 139 km/h".
Control of the simulators, new test but nothing the messages come back. (I had no module problems before).
I have since ordered new simulators from SUMMIT: AFE-436-401001-N
Suspension Sensor Eliminators, GM Gen 2, Electronic Shock Delete.
do you think i will recover the no throttling message.
Have a nice day and thank you in advance for your advice.

Attachments

• afe-436-401001-n_fc_xl.jpg
    afe-436-401001-n_fc_xl.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 74
  • afe-436-401001-n_ul_xl.jpg
    afe-436-401001-n_ul_xl.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 75

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!