Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Starter replacement on a V

Bill S.

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 V, Raven Black with Shale interior
Hey

OK so I need to get my starter changed out. Battery was new (Walmart) 07-2019. Had Walmart check it . They have a little meter load tester gizmo they use. It came up perfect. Trust but verify. I had it cheked at a friend's garage (Snap On Battery tester) . It tested very good over all; load, charge state, the whole schpiel.

Just hooked up jumper cables from my '92 Truck (350 V-8, New battery ). . The V just about started. Slooooooow cranking but it started. It's getting worse.

Queston: I read about and viewed the starter change out procedures on You Tube for the typical Nortstar4.6. Is it the same for the V, 4.4 ??

Bill

Last edited:
I believe the starter is in the valley of the engine on the top side... on the V you have to remove the entire superchrager assembly off the top - I have personally seen the starter at the top when doing some work on the top end before.... I suspect it must be in the same place for the base 4.6 as well, I don't know where else it would fit.

I believe the starter is in the valley of the engine on the top side... on the V you have to remove the entire superchrager assembly off the top - I have personally seen the starter at the top when doing some work on the top end before.... I suspect it must be in the same place for the base 4.6 as well, I don't know where else it would fit.
Yes, I get it ...the starter is under the intake; it's a given. . Was just wondering if removing the S/C was involved as well. The change out on the 4.6 seems rather easy.

Bill

check out your cables and make sure all the connections are clean and tight .the starter is not a highly known fail item so I would certainly check everything else before replacing it.

Yes, I get it ...the starter is under the intake; it's a given. . Was just wondering if removing the S/C was involved as well. The change out on the 4.6 seems rather easy.

Bill

Yes - I have removed the SC a few times... I had rats build nests in there more than once and they only way to clean it up is to tear apart the motor - I have no idea why GM didn't install blocking plates to prevent debris from getting in there. Once the SC is removed, the starter is sitting in there at the top.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom