Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

05 does not have low gear

quick66ss

My XLR/V(s)
Looking to help my dad with his 05 XLR. The car has only 14,000 miles on it. He picked it up a few years ago and only drives it a few times a year. When he went to get it out earlier this month it seemed like it was in high gear when he went to move it. We put a scanner on it and got a few codes. P0979 Shift Solenoid C circuit low & P0700 trans control system malfunction. Over the weekend we put in a new C circuit solenoid as well as fluid and filter change but the car still has no low gear. When on the rack in drive it seems to be in high gear as soon as you place it in drive. Any idea where to look next?

Looking to help my dad with his 05 XLR. The car has only 14,000 miles on it. He picked it up a few years ago and only drives it a few times a year. When he went to get it out earlier this month it seemed like it was in high gear when he went to move it. We put a scanner on it and got a few codes. P0979 Shift Solenoid C circuit low & P0700 trans control system malfunction. Over the weekend we put in a new C circuit solenoid as well as fluid and filter change but the car still has no low gear. When on the rack in drive it seems to be in high gear as soon as you place it in drive. Any idea where to look next?

Check the grounds.

So the grounds haunt the XLR just like the CTSV. At least Caddilac kept it consistent :)

How a bout your shift cable?

Shift cable? I guess I figured if it got the car from park to reverse to neutral and then drive all was good.

Shift cable? I guess I figured if it got the car from park to reverse to neutral and then drive all was good.

I don't think it's your shift cable. By you being able to select P, N, D, indicates the cable is good. Have you tried putting it in the "manual" mode and going through the gears?

No go on the manual mode. When you put it in drive it feels like its in high gear. We put it on the rack and ran it and it feels like it shifts between the higher gears but does not down shift or start out in the low gears. We are going to replace the battery and check the grounds this weekend.

Update - We replaced the solenoid C as well as the battery and checked the grounds. When the car is cold it has all the gears and drives normal. As soon as it warms up it wants to start out in high gear. With only 14,000 miles on the car we are now looking at what to do next... Any thoughts?

Did you scrub the ground terminals and area where they attach with stainless brush or sand paper and use dialectic grease on them? Check the PCM connections also.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom