Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

18 in tires

Lola's Mom

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Raven
Can any of you same me some leg work and tell me where you have found and purchased the stock 18" run flats for our cars? They seem a bit pricey to me.

Adding some comparison info:
My Cad dealer sent me this to replace the stock tires: note to have 4 tires replaced mounting and balancing is 1473.44 plus tax

The runflats are pricey. I always use Tire Rack as a base, then ask my local tire dealer to match their price. They usually match, or get close, then throw in mount & balance. Not sure if Costco carries our tires, but they can have phenomenal pricing on tires.
You can buy a better performing, less expensive tire, but sacrifice the run-flat ability.
Bruce

The runflats are pricey. I always use Tire Rack as a base, then ask my local tire dealer to match their price. They usually match, or get close, then throw in mount & balance. Not sure if Costco carries our tires, but they can have phenomenal pricing on tires.
You can buy a better performing, less expensive tire, but sacrifice the run-flat ability.
Bruce
Costco :pat: I did not think of that! No, we're stickin' with the run-flats. Like em' a lot for traveling.

Bruce

I just bought a set of tires for my XLR from Tire Rack over the summer (I've purchased my last 6 set of tires from Tire Rack). Good pricing, fast delivery and excellent website to compare tires. I didn't buy runflats, but they sell those as well. You can even compare various run flats.

Good luck.

I replaced my tires August 20, 2009, total price balanced and installed, $1,180.40. I priced them at Discount Tire and Red Noland Cadillac matched their price. Michlin Run Flats, same as original equipment. I prefer to give my business to my Cadillac Dealer to help them keep the doors open. :):):) That price included TAX

Costco :pat: I did not think of that! No, we're stickin' with the run-flats. Like em' a lot for traveling.
I agree with you RA. I would not give up the run flats. They have saved us.

Hmmm, LA Tire is getting our business $1156 Michelin runflats ..... Oh, and some new "shoes" too .... A little blingy-bling comin' for the girl. :rocker:

Going to LA on the 12th ... VERY worth the day trip ...

Brakes tomorrow, all the way around, PepBoys, ceramic $334 - and Ray doesn't have to do the work.

Cubby, Bruce - thanks for the "tips" - you guys :rocker:.

Glad to hear you got the deal done!!! You will also be happy going with the ceramic brakes--or Ray will!! Brake dust is way down and not as noticeable with the ceramics. Don't forget to post pics when Lola is all done.

Hmmm, LA Tire is getting our business $1156 Michelin runflats ..... Oh, and some new "shoes" too .... A little blingy-bling comin' for the girl. :rocker:

Going to LA on the 12th ... VERY worth the day trip ...

Brakes tomorrow, all the way around, PepBoys, ceramic $334 - and Ray doesn't have to do the work.

Cubby, Bruce - thanks for the "tips" - you guys :rocker:.

No brake dust and no squeal ...
he made me do my homework ..:squint:

LA Wheel has very good about answering every question and has been very accomodating -

Their tire pricing is more than fair and we can do the exchange and mounting all in one place - we're good to go.

More opinions, please!

Okay, so, new glass on the front - slight glazing on the front rotors -
We opted to wait on the rotors because I told Ray that at one time on the old forum their was quite an interesting thread on the pro's and con's of slotted/drilled.
Anyone with an opinion or experience please post.
We love the "look" of them. But, will they be a good thing on the road for thousands of miles? And what other things can you think of?

So I wonder if you were the other XLR owner they were speaking with on Friday while I was having new wheels put on there. Anton and the crew at LA Wheel were great and I love the look of the new wheels. I'll post up some pics as soon as I can (if RA doesn't mind me hijacking her thread now that her questions are answered). Curious which wheels you are going with...but I could take a guess.
Bruce

Okay, so, new glass on the front - slight glazing on the front rotors -
We opted to wait on the rotors because I told Ray that at one time on the old forum their was quite an interesting thread on the pro's and con's of slotted/drilled.
Anyone with an opinion or experience please post.
We love the "look" of them. But, will they be a good thing on the road for thousands of miles? And what other things can you think of?

Ruthie, When you asked "Will they be a good thing on the road for thousands of miles?" were you referring to the slotted rotors? If so, sure they'll do fine, both the "V" and the "Z" have them, they're made that way to dissipate heat.

Floyd (BB)

Ruthie, When you asked "Will they be a good thing on the road for thousands of miles?" were you referring to the slotted rotors? If so, sure they'll do fine, both the "V" and the "Z" have them, they're made that way to dissipate heat.

Floyd (BB)
Exactly our question ... thanks.... any downside to them?

So I wonder if you were the other XLR owner they were speaking with on Friday while I was having new wheels put on there. Anton and the crew at LA Wheel were great and I love the look of the new wheels. I'll post up some pics as soon as I can (if RA doesn't mind me hijacking her thread now that her questions are answered). Curious which wheels you are going with...but I could take a guess.
Bruce
I think we're going to stay with the 7 spoke chrome/Cad caps. It's really a toss-up, but I think the lighter color cars wear the fancy spokes a bit better - You know, plain and simple with black.
No, I haven't spoken to AT by phone - we are doing the email thing.
I bet your car looks smashing! :rocker:

No, I haven't spoken to AT by phone - we are doing the email thing.
I bet your car looks smashing! :rocker:
"smashing" is probably a bad choice of words, yes, looks very classy in the polished alloys, I'll post up some pics soon.
Bruce

Exactly our question ... thanks.... any downside to them?

My understanding and experience is that, over time, drilled rotors can occasionally crack due to the stress and heat cycling.

Cast rotors with holes aren't susceptible to that problem. It's the drilling, not the holes, that is the culprit.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom