Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2004 Black XLR Roadster

Earlasxlr

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Roadster
My roof began to intermittently get stuck in the up position and I have received all the necessary parts as per the dealers estimate to replace it. However, I am not able to obtain the very last part which is a rubber seal for the rear window panel area. Part #88956610, Lower Weather Strip. I have gone through my local Caddy dealership as well as gm-parts direct to no avail. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
My roof began to intermittently get stuck in the up position and I have received all the necessary parts as per the dealers estimate to replace it. However, I am not able to obtain the very last part which is a rubber seal for the rear window panel area. Part #889566610, Lower Weather Strip. I have gone through my local Caddy dealership as well as gm-parts direct to no avail. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi & welcome!

You have a little typo in your part number: should be 88956610, 2004-2009 Cadillac XLR Lower Weather-Strip 88956610 | GMPartOnline , which as we see is a discontinued part - scrapyards only I'd wager. :(

That said, have you studied yours for damage at all? That strikes me as a part that one might only need to change if it was ripped or torn or turned to glue somehow. If it's still in one piece, a decent cleaning and some folks swear by that silicone spray wiped on rubber bits to extend longevity.

I'd be curious to see what else was on your 'dealer's estimate'...items they think might be causing intermittent roof sticking issues. Kind of curious imho.

HTH!

Gord :thumbsup

I agree .Dealers ells parts I doubt highly they have a clue what you really need and just listed a bunch of parts that are part of the roof and hope one gets you repaired. when you say stuck in the up position. do you mean half open ? what do you call up and how do you get it to move?

Thank you for bringing the typo to my attention. I do know it's discontinued and have been checking scrap yards to no avail thus far. A gentleman who has a MaryKay model of the 2004 pointed me to this site. He also mentioned SteelRubber.com for custome stripping, however, upon speaking to them, they would not have the finished ends that this particular piece requires.

The damage to mine is from water that has over time drained down over the wires near the hydraulic pump. The Water Dr. expert looked it over. I've had the pump checked and it's not that. I asked the dealership to simply make one from a gasket seal but they are apprehensive on that idea because of liability.

Here's the part list: Lower weather strip; sealing strip for both left & right; control module; harness; weatherstrip (#15779663); Panel asm, f/t sto compt frt close.

On occasion the trunk lid and entire apparatus gets stuck in the first position, at the uppermost point before it begins to fold down into the other stages. Two years ago I had the arms replaced on each side which remedied it for that season. I store it in the winter and in the spring/summer of 2019 it began doing the same thing. Sometimes I've been able to leave it sit awhile and it will close, once it was flatbed towed. Once I had to run the risk of driving it back to my home due to threat of immediate severe weather with no time to wait for the Caddy roadside service flatbed. It was a 35 minute ride from where I was to my home and I followed someone to and withing 15 minute of that trip, it closed itself when I came to a stop sign. Crazy. I have, however, seen firsthand what the Water Dr. gentleman is speaking of.

...The damage to mine is from water that has over time drained down over the wires near the hydraulic pump. The Water Dr. expert looked it over. I've had the pump checked and it's not that. I asked the dealership to simply make one from a gasket seal but they are apprehensive on that idea because of liability.

Here's the part list: Lower weather strip; sealing strip for both left & right; control module; harness; weatherstrip (#15779663); Panel asm, f/t sto compt frt close.

Hello and... you're welcome.
I would really like to see good pictures of the 'damaged' areas of the weatherstrips if possible. I'm reading your two posts here and I can actually feel my blood pressure rising as this seems so completely in the wrong direction, it's upsetting.

If I may, who checked the pump assembly? Who determined the control module was faulty and did they do so by using the appropriate scan tool?

Judging by the list of parts you've mentioned, it really seems as though the technician(s) involved have indeed just listed off every single item that -may- have caused and suffered from the initial 'got wet' problem, however things like weatherstrips at this instant would not actually cause the problem of the roof not following its sequence properly.

I might ask as well, do you store your car in a dry garage? Do you use it often during wet weather? Have you attempted to clean out all the weatherstrip's folds and creases meticulously? Have you assured the drain hole in the bottom of the pump trunk cavity is clear?

It's just sounding like too much guess-work...as though whomever has diagnosed this is not first addressing the real roof problem, which could be as simple as a dirty or sticky micro-switch or, solenoid on the pump.

If the module drowned at some point, it is quite possible it is damaged (ridiculous location, unsealed module, thanks General Motors...), though by the fact the roof sequence is only intermittent, well, the rule is, 9 out of 10 electrical problems are a bad connection. I would be very interested to see the 'harness' you mention following the module in your list. Every single pin in your harness should have been tested for continuity and resistance.

Summary at this point: Perhaps consider to find someone with I believe, a little more problem-solving / trouble shooting savvy with the XLR roof system (a GM certified XLR technician and / or TopHydraulics.com - for the pump and module)? Whomever you choose must have the appropriate scanner ("Tech II").

Keep the car dry if possible (garage, car cover) until the roof's real problem is resolved. Address the 'possible' sources of water infiltration after first thoroughly cleaning all the weatherstrips and mating surfaces.

:thumbsup

I have to agree with Gord. If they claim you need a harness then you have a failed motor. The harness is hard to damage. it can get wet and corrode but its like 20 hours to install the whole thing and if its just the connectors they can be cleaned. Many years ago at a BMW store In Tampa I repaired a New BMW. It had a cut harness with the plug going to the fog light missing. I was going to splice in a new one. The service guys went crazy they told me all about the resistance etc on the wire to tell the computer the bulb was out. Well I knew BMW offered the kit for a repair but let them go ahead an install la 1500 harness with about 25 hours of labor. A few days later the car came back on the hook. The tech??haha had not secured some of the retainers and the harness fell on the manifold and burned. Next thing you know he is working all night patching and splicing about 50 wires on the harness. Dealer wound up buying the car back. All over 5$ plug connector I could have properly spliced into the fog light. I think this dealer just listed enough parts to run you away so they do not have to work on it. I sent you a pm . I have all the parts you need off a 20K mile 05 that has been parked inside for the last 10 years.

Good Day, Gord and Sally,

I've been off the grid as you can see but certainly appreciate your input. This week I'm going to run by the GM of the local dealership who has compiled that list that I purchased from gmpartsdirect.com and ask him the questions you've posed. I don't know if I can return the unopened parts I received from GM and I'll follow up with them on that, but if it's a final determination I don't need them I may just hold onto them in the event "Plan A" falls through. If it still ends up I need all those parts with the last one being that weatherstrip and it fits mine, what would you like for it?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom