Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! 2004 Key Fob replacement - Using a "used" key fob from another vehicle

Johnson1989

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR
I know this topic has been beat to death, but after searching the forum and google I haven't found out the answer to my particular problem. When I purchased my 2004 XLR it came with only one fob, the # 2. After around a month of searching I finally found a used one on ebay with the correct GM # 10337464 for 2004. Its also a #2, but from what I've read you can program multiple #2's or 1's. Today I tried the programing method to erase all earlier fobs and program the 2 that I have. I believe it was method # 3 that requires you to go through 3 ten minute cycles which clear all known remotes and then allow you to program the new ones in # 1 and # 2 positions. Once I was done cycling through and the message came up "ready to program fob 1" I inserted the new (used) fob into the fob compartment in the glove box. At this point nothing happened. The message stayed displayed and after 3 minutes turned off. I then realized that I missed a step and didn't have a fob in the glove box during the 3 ten minute cycles, so I tried it again and still no luck. Same thing happened. I've tried this entire process about 6 times using slightly different methods, including twice doing it exactly per the manual and I can't for the life of me get this new fob to work. I then read something interesting, and a bit unsettling in Chiltons manual, here it is:

"When a remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) is replaced the original key fobs became obsolete, the key fobs can only be programmed to the original RCDLR. Key fobs and the RCDLR can only be transferred to another vehicle as a complete set. Additional new key fobs programmed to a RCDLR cannot be reprogrammed to another RCDLR or another vehicle."

So my understanding is that we cannot program used key fobs that have been programed to another vehicle... Can anyone confirm this, or is there another way to reprogram used remotes? I know I've read multiple posts on here and other forums with people that have purchased fobs over the last few years on ebay and such and were able to get them to work. They did not specify whether they were used, but I could only imagine they must have been, being new fobs are not available for 04. Has anyone successfully reprogramed a used remote, or am I the first to try this? Thank you for taking the time to respond!

One last thing to note, both batteries were replaced prior to programing.

I think you're missing a step somewhere. A fob is just a transmitter. There's no way that the RCDLR can "write" to the remote fob.

Figured out the problem!

Thank you for responding Rexster and I apologize for not responding sooner. I figured out what caused the fob to not work. It was the correct number, but was a GM/X instead of GM/S. Apparently GM altered something in the keyless system at some point and quite a few cars were upgraded from the original GM/X system that was used in 2004, with my car not being an exception. I sent the remote back and just the other day found a brand new GM/S for 2004 on ebay, crazy right?! Programed it today and it works flawlessly. Now I finally have 2 remotes and won't have to worry as much about losing one.

With that said for anyone else looking for 2004 remotes, currently BigDaddyCaddy on ebay has a few brand new ones for sale. One is Driver 1 for $120 (GM/S 10337463) and the other is driver 2 (GM/S 10337464) for $80 I believe. If you need a new one now would be the time to buy it, I spent 3 months trying to find one haha.

Or, possibly have your RCDLR replaced with a little later year that would allow you to use the more available FOBs?

I've been thinking of looking into this. There is no rhyme or reason to my 2004 handing me the "fob not found" message. It will work fine in my front pocket for a week, then stop working there.

Thank you for responding Rexster and I apologize for not responding sooner. I figured out what caused the fob to not work. It was the correct number, but was a GM/X instead of GM/S. Apparently GM altered something in the keyless system at some point and quite a few cars were upgraded from the original GM/X system that was used in 2004, with my car not being an exception. I sent the remote back and just the other day found a brand new GM/S for 2004 on ebay, crazy right?! Programed it today and it works flawlessly. Now I finally have 2 remotes and won't have to worry as much about losing one.

With that said for anyone else looking for 2004 remotes, currently BigDaddyCaddy on ebay has a few brand new ones for sale. One is Driver 1 for $120 (GM/S 10337463) and the other is driver 2 (GM/S 10337464) for $80 I believe. If you need a new one now would be the time to buy it, I spent 3 months trying to find one haha.

I know this topic has been beat to death, but after searching the forum and google I haven't found out the answer to my particular problem. When I purchased my 2004 XLR it came with only one fob, the # 2. After around a month of searching I finally found a used one on ebay with the correct GM # 10337464 for 2004. Its also a #2, but from what I've read you can program multiple #2's or 1's. Today I tried the programing method to erase all earlier fobs and program the 2 that I have. I believe it was method # 3 that requires you to go through 3 ten minute cycles which clear all known remotes and then allow you to program the new ones in # 1 and # 2 positions. Once I was done cycling through and the message came up "ready to program fob 1" I inserted the new (used) fob into the fob compartment in the glove box. At this point nothing happened. The message stayed displayed and after 3 minutes turned off. I then realized that I missed a step and didn't have a fob in the glove box during the 3 ten minute cycles, so I tried it again and still no luck. Same thing happened. I've tried this entire process about 6 times using slightly different methods, including twice doing it exactly per the manual and I can't for the life of me get this new fob to work. I then read something interesting, and a bit unsettling in Chiltons manual, here it is:

"When a remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) is replaced the original key fobs became obsolete, the key fobs can only be programmed to the original RCDLR. Key fobs and the RCDLR can only be transferred to another vehicle as a complete set. Additional new key fobs programmed to a RCDLR cannot be reprogrammed to another RCDLR or another vehicle."

So my understanding is that we cannot program used key fobs that have been programed to another vehicle... Can anyone confirm this, or is there another way to reprogram used remotes? I know I've read multiple posts on here and other forums with people that have purchased fobs over the last few years on ebay and such and were able to get them to work. They did not specify whether they were used, but I could only imagine they must have been, being new fobs are not available for 04. Has anyone successfully reprogramed a used remote, or am I the first to try this? Thank you for taking the time to respond!

One last thing to note, both batteries were replaced prior to programing.
just for information I have a 2006 v i lost the key fob. And couldn’t find one anywhere. Then i was told by someone on this form that the 2008-09 fob would work. After I was told by Cadillac that it wouldn’t work. Out of desperation order the 08-09 fob. And it works perfectly. Its a 4 button fob and the Panic button even works.
Thank all for the information

The later version of the key fobs (2005-2009) will NOT work on the 2004. If the manual description of adding a key fob doesn't work a TECH II from somewhere is in your future. The FOB is just a transmitter. Nothing more. The RCDLR remembers the transmitter coded signal when programmed into the receiver. It doesn't care if the FOB is marked 1 or 2. The first FOB programmed will always be #1 and second one programmed as #2, and the third one as #3. That's how the memory settings for seat position, steering wheel position and mirrors work.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom