Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2004 Stock Wheel

XLR-V Husker

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR-V
Can a person polish the stock wheels on a 2004 XLR or do they have a clear coat on them? If so what product and method did you use?

If you're talking about aluminum wheels, then yes, they are clear coated. You'd have to strip off the clear coat, polish then reapply clearcoat to keep them shiny. Otherwise you'll be polishing them almost every week.

Aluminum wheels are clear coated. To polish you'll have to strip the clear coat, polish to your heart's content, and re-apply new clear coat. Otherwise, you'll be polishing the wheels quite regularly to keep them shiny.

Treat them just like you would the paint, i.e., try using a paint cleaner on them. Then I'd recommend putting Poor Boys Wheel Sealant on them. Can't say enough good things about that stuff, made the painted wheels on our V almost look like they were chromed AND really helps keep the brake dust down & makes it easy to wash off. :thumbsup

Treat them just like you would the paint, i.e., try using a paint cleaner on them. Then I'd recommend putting Poor Boys Wheel Sealant on them. Can't say enough good things about that stuff, made the painted wheels on our V almost look like they were chromed AND really helps keep the brake dust down & makes it easy to wash off. :thumbsup

Amy how's it do where the clear coat is wearing off?...... mine showing wear between the wheel spokes like the areas where the air valve stems are they are faded and not shiny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amy how's it do where the clear coat is wearing off?...... mine showing wear between the wheel spokes like the areas where the air valve stems are they are faded and not shiny

"Don't try this at home" -- I used something called Noxon to clean the wheels, which is safe for aluminum, copper, stainless, brass etc. It probably took the clear coat off, if I had to guess, but it also got all the discolored spots off. Results show in my signature picture below.

However, the alloy started popping off the edges of the wheels, which is not fixable (per rim shop) & is something that eventually starts happening to our wheels (per dealer). So I had them sand blasted and painted hyper silver. I now use the Poor Boys on the now painted rims.

"Don't try this at home" -- I used something called Noxon to clean the wheels, which is safe for aluminum, copper, stainless, brass etc. It probably took the clear coat off, if I had to guess, but it also got all the discolored spots off. Results show in my signature picture below.

However, the alloy started popping off the edges of the wheels, which is not fixable (per rim shop) & is something that eventually starts happening to our wheels (per dealer). So I had them sand blasted and painted hyper silver. I now use the Poor Boys on the now painted rims.

There is no picture.... maybe because of Tapatalk....but I do remember now about you say you had them painted. Is the hyper silver like almost chrome? I had this notion about getting the grill wrap with a look of chrome now I'm wondering if they could wrap the wheels too? Over all mine are in descent shape just don't shine like chrome!

There is no picture.... maybe because of Tapatalk....but I do remember now about you say you had them painted. Is the hyper silver like almost chrome? I had this notion about getting the grill wrap with a look of chrome now I'm wondering if they could wrap the wheels too? Over all mine are in descent shape just don't shine like chrome!

It's not like almost chrome, but it is like a million stars in the sky on your wheels - very sparkly! There are lots of different color choices if you go with painted wheels, so you might find one that's more like chrome.

It's not like almost chrome, but it is like a million stars in the sky on your wheels - very sparkly! There are lots of different color choices if you go with painted wheels, so you might find one that's more like chrome.

Do you have a picture to share? I'm just interested in seeing what they look on the car and if you have close up would be cool to!

Do you have a picture to share? I'm just interested in seeing what they look on the car and if you have close up would be cool to!

Here are some not real close up, I'll try to take a closer close up later (p.s., having the crest & wreath in the same color as the car was an extra the shop threw in as a surprise because they appreciated my love of cars! :thumbsup)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 230
Here are some not real close up, I'll try to take a closer close up later (p.s., having the crest & wreath in the same color as the car was an extra the shop threw in as a surprise because they appreciated my love of cars! :thumbsup)

Hey they looks pretty cool. I was able to draw it in close and can see the heavy metallic!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back