Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2004 XLR Gas Tank cross over Tube

RICHARD JOHNSON SR

My XLR/V(s)
XLR 2004
Cadillac Dealer diagnosed my Check Gas Cap/Check Engine Light as a bad cross-over pipe between the tanks! This is a problem that occurred in the 2004 models and was not a recall but rather a problem to be handled by the dealers, according to Cadillac at the Bowling Green Plant! Since this happened to me long after the retrofitting expired in 2011 the mfg. refused any responsibility to repair it! The Dealer in my area estimated the cost at $7,800.00 so I waited until I acquired the replacement parts and found an independent garage in my area who did the job in 10 hours and I supplied the parts! Total cost to me $1,200.00! Hope this helps some one with this problem! This is a SAFTEY Hazzard and Cadillac should have done more to correct it!

This is important information Richard, and thank you for posting it. As is the case with some of these challenges, having an independent knowledgeable repair shop eases the pain with some of these challenges. If you have the time to do so, could you explain how this part of the system failed? Leaking gasoline is ominous. James

James, I acquired this XLR 2 years ago in Tallahassee Fl. from a Car Broker. Shortly after I started getting a Check Gas Cap Message on the dash. I stopped checked it and deleted the message. Much to my dismay after several episodes of this the Check Engine Light appeared! I took the car to the Local Dealer who had done some work on it before who installed a new Gas Cap. This did not solve the problem so I returned to the Dealer who then determined thru a smoke test that the Cross Over tube was the culprit! The Code reader read it as a Large Exhaust Leak! The cure was to replace the entire fuel/Gas system! This might entail an extensive redo! Hence the $7,800.00 estimate! Thus began my research into the problem! Dealer or Cadillac were no help! There was a recurring warning light situation each time I drove the car. There was some Gas order but no visible leakage of any fluid. I hope this is informative! RJ

THank you Richard for the explanation. It makes sense that the computer would "miss read" the open gas cap message, and the fact that you smelled gas also is a likely scenario, but all this left me wondering just why, when you filled up, no gas apparently showed on the ground. You did suggest that whatever caused the breach in the pipe was fixed for that model year IF it were reported within what apparently GM felt was a resonable time line. (that 7K repair estimate is breathtaking!) THank you for your narrative, James

I hope if your guy pulled the tanks you paid to go ahead and change the pumps . they are very inexpensive to buy but the labor is what cost .since you were already there you could have solved a problem you very likely will have in the near future. The pumps are a known failure issue.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom