Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! 2005 XLR Dead Battery Multiple Problems

JimJ

My XLR/V(s)
2005 XLR Blue
Stupid me forgot to plug in my trickle charger last fall when I quit driving my 2005 XLR for the season. Now I hav MULTIPLE PROBLEMS!!!

I was able to enter the vehicle using the "trunk" key procedure--eg turning the key in the bumper spot, opening the trunk etc. After opening the hood, I plugged in my trickle charger. After 18 hrs, the battery won't charge (it's a 5 year old Optima Red Top AGM Battery). Every 5 minutes or so, the car begins to "click", and the brake lights flash off and on. I try to start it with both key fobs and nothing happens.

I unplugged the trickle charger, and used a regular battery charger in the "start mode". After a couple of minutes, the lights blinked continuously, and the horn honked. When I tried to start the car, I got a "no FOB detected". I went back into the house and got my other FOB. When I tried to start it, I got a "LOW Voltage" warning. Of course the car wouldn't start.

I now have reverted to removing the regular battery charger, and plugging in the trickle charger again. If I leave the FOB's in the car, the "clicking" again happens every 5 minutes or so. I brought the FOBS back into the house.

I ordered another new Optima Red Top and it'll be here in a few days.

MY QUESTIONS
1. WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT AFTER INSTALLING THE NEW BATTERY?
2. WHY WOULD ONE FOB WORK AND THE OTHER DOESN'T?
3. WHERE IN THE HELL IS THE "FOB SLOT" IN THE GLOVE COMPARTMENT? I CAN ONLY SEE A SLOT PUT THE KEY INTO THAT'S USED FOR "VALET SERVICE".

Thanks a ton--this is really ****ing me off.

Jim

Expect all your personalized settings to be gone.
Battery in the FOB dead or weak. Make sure it's not near a cell phone, the cell's signal can mess up the FOB's signal
3. WHERE IN THE HELL IS THE "FOB SLOT" IN THE GLOVE COMPARTMENT? I CAN ONLY SEE A SLOT PUT THE KEY INTO THAT'S USED FOR "VALET SERVICE".
Attached photo is out of your owner's manual.

Attachments

• 2016-04-15 17.38.02.jpg
    2016-04-15 17.38.02.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 716
I would charge up the new battery for 24 hrs outside of the vehicle. Then put it in your car, and let it set for a couple of hours.

There are a lot of modules in the XLR, and a little patience waiting for them to get used to the reboot with a new battery could pay off.

I would drive it around a bit, get it home before I tried the top 3 or 4 times with the engine running.

Thanks--I really appreciate this

Expect all your personalized settings to be gone.
Battery in the FOB dead or weak. Make sure it's not near a cell phone, the cell's signal can mess up the FOB's signal
Attached photo is out of your owner's manual.

The picture you shared is most helpful--it's NOT in my manual. I also saw a switch next to the slot. It was turned "off". I turned it "ON".

Thanks I'll try ths. I appreciate your help!

I would charge up the new battery for 24 hrs outside of the vehicle. Then put it in your car, and let it set for a couple of hours.

There are a lot of modules in the XLR, and a little patience waiting for them to get used to the reboot with a new battery could pay off.

I would drive it around a bit, get it home before I tried the top 3 or 4 times with the engine running.

Thanks a ton! Jim

i would stop trying to charge the dead battery. all those voltage spikes from diff chargers could fry something.
just leave it alone. roll the drivers side window down if you can so you can get into it if you are locked out(inside a garage i assume??)
let the car sit with the dead battery for a few days.
then charge the new battery BEFORE you install it.

when i replaced my dead battery it took me 1/2 hour to get the car to recognize any key fob again.
so dont panic.
after multiple door opens and closes, pressing the brake pedal, locking and unlocking with the fob,
putting the fob into the golve box slot, about a dozen attempts in various order...
eventually it recognized and restarted. after that havent had a fob problem since.

i would go for a nice drive to get everything warmed up and recharged.
then after 45 min would cycle the top. of course with the car running.

Thanks. All of you are GREAT!!!

I forgot to mention, my car is in fact, IN A GARGE thank goodness. I also forgot to mention that when I put the "START NOW" charger on the car, the driver's window automatically went down. I left it down, and the door slightly "ajar". I've unhooked all the chargers, and will await the tons of trouble I'll probably have when I install the new battery after checking it's charge.

I sure appreciate all of your help on this. It's like something out of "X-Files". The GM Engineers must have been under the influence of the CIA's drugs when they designed this laughable set of procedures to follow.

Jim

Even though it should be good to go, place the new battery on a Battery Tender/Minder overnight before installing it in the car. If you're using an old-style trickle charger, deep-six it with the old battery and get a Battery Tender or Minder.

Ensure you re-index the Windows before attempting to cycle the folding top. Their status is one of the first things checked before the rear deck lid unlatches.

While you can leave the door ajar, with the window down, and door closed, you can still pull the manual door release latch.

CCC :wave:

Last edited:
I also saw a switch next to the slot. It was turned "off". I turned it "ON".

Might want to double check what switch you flipped - you might have turned the valet switch on, which means the top & trunk won't work. At least that's what that switch does in my XLR, but I know '05's are set up differently.

Good luck!

Thanks I'll try ths. I appreciate your help!

Even though it should be good to go, place the new battery on a Battery Tender/Minder overnight before installing it in the car. If you're using an old-style trickle charger, deep-six it with the old battery and get a Battery Tender or Minder.

Ensure you re-index the Windows before attempting to cycle the folding top. Their status is one of the first things checked before the rear deck lid in latches.

While you can leave the door ajar, with the window down, and door closed, you can still pull the manual door release latch.

CCC :wave:
Will do as you suggest. I have a Schumacher Battery Tender installed. It has served me well. It was my fault to not plug it in. Thanks again--Jim

Thanks

Will do as you suggest. Am waiting for the new battery to arrive.

Thanks

i would stop trying to charge the dead battery. all those voltage spikes from diff chargers could fry something.
just leave it alone. roll the drivers side window down if you can so you can get into it if you are locked out(inside a garage i assume??)
let the car sit with the dead battery for a few days.
then charge the new battery BEFORE you install it.

when i replaced my dead battery it took me 1/2 hour to get the car to recognize any key fob again.
so dont panic.
after multiple door opens and closes, pressing the brake pedal, locking and unlocking with the fob,
putting the fob into the golve box slot, about a dozen attempts in various order...
eventually it recognized and restarted. after that havent had a fob problem since.

i would go for a nice drive to get everything warmed up and recharged.
then after 45 min would cycle the top. of course with the car running.
I stopped charging the old battery as you suggested. Will follow your suggestions when the new one arrives. Thanks alot--Jim

Thanks

Might want to double check what switch you flipped - you might have turned the valet switch on, which means the top & trunk won't work. At least that's what that switch does in my XLR, but I know '05's are set up differently.

Good luck!
thanks--I turned the switch back to "off". I can't find anything in my manual about the FOB slot or the switch.

Jim,
Information on the slot and the valet switch can be found on pages 2-8 and 2-21 respectively of 2005 manual. If you don't have one it can be downloaded on this site under the Tech Center tab at the top of the page.

thanks--I turned the switch back to "off". I can't find anything in my manual about the FOB slot or the switch.

Thanks

Jim,
Information on the slot and the valet switch can be found on pages 2-8 and 2-21 respectively of 2005 manual. If you don't have one it can be downloaded on this site under the Tech Center tab at the top of the page.
Thanks alot!!! Jim

THANKS ALOT TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Stupid me forgot to plug in my trickle charger last fall when I quit driving my 2005 XLR for the season. Now I hav MULTIPLE PROBLEMS!!!

I was able to enter the vehicle using the "trunk" key procedure--eg turning the key in the bumper spot, opening the trunk etc. After opening the hood, I plugged in my trickle charger. After 18 hrs, the battery won't charge (it's a 5 year old Optima Red Top AGM Battery). Every 5 minutes or so, the car begins to "click", and the brake lights flash off and on. I try to start it with both key fobs and nothing happens.

I unplugged the trickle charger, and used a regular battery charger in the "start mode". After a couple of minutes, the lights blinked continuously, and the horn honked. When I tried to start the car, I got a "no FOB detected". I went back into the house and got my other FOB. When I tried to start it, I got a "LOW Voltage" warning. Of course the car wouldn't start.

I now have reverted to removing the regular battery charger, and plugging in the trickle charger again. If I leave the FOB's in the car, the "clicking" again happens every 5 minutes or so. I brought the FOBS back into the house.

I ordered another new Optima Red Top and it'll be here in a few days.

MY QUESTIONS

Thanks a ton--this is really ****ing me off.

Jim
Many thanks to everyone who helped me on this, I couldn't have done it without your assistance. So far, I have the new battery installed, have re-indexed the windows, and after waiting a couple of hours after replacing the battery, both of Key FOBS now work, original driver settings are restored, and the car starts perfectly. I haven't driven it yet and will wait until tomorrow after the car sits in the garage with the battery tender plugged in. It's supposed to rain, so I'll wait until I recycle the top up and down a few times. So far, at each test start, the voltage is a little over 14 volts and is holding. The only really wierd thing I have been able to see thus far, is that the Driver Information Center indicates that the left rear tire has 0 pounds of inflation! The tire is fine, I checked it with a gauge. I'd guess from many of your previous suggestions, this problem will eventually go away too.

I should note, that no where in my manual, is a picture of the Key Fob slot. I've looked thru the manual many, many times. Without the picture that one of you sent to me, I'd still be looking for it!!!

AGAIN--THANKS ALOT TO EVERYONE!!!! Jim

Last edited:
Once you take it out for a spin, the TPMS will update itself. Might take 1 mile, might take several miles, but don't worry , it will reset itself eventually.

Thanks

Once you take it out for a spin, the TPMS will update itself. Might take 1 mile, might take several miles, but don't worry , it will reset itself eventually.
I'll do this, thanks for the tip. Just found out I "lost" all the "Home Link" settings for my garage door openers and the gate opener for my subdivision. What a PAIN this is. Of course, one of my garage door openers has a dead battery and I had to order new ones.

When it rains it pours I guess.

Jim

when i read your post i thought
"first world problems"
sorry jim, i had to say it
your post made me laugh out loud.
both your homelink settings were gone?? for the garage and the gate??
the horror ;)
please dont be offended , i am only teasing, as a fellow first worlder.
thx for making me smile today.
i am glad to hear your XLR is back in business,
even if it can only drive around inside the safety of your gated community!!
hahahahaha

lex

thanks

when i read your post i thought
"first world problems"
sorry jim, i had to say it
your post made me laugh out loud.
both your homelink settings were gone?? for the garage and the gate??
the horror ;)
please dont be offended , i am only teasing, as a fellow first worlder.
thx for making me smile today.
i am glad to hear your XLR is back in business,
even if it can only drive around inside the safety of your gated community!!
hahahahaha

lex
At least my gas gas milege should be good only going 10/15 mph.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom