Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2006 Grill and Driver's Door Hinge

Hinge door position spring

Yeah Mickeytee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mickeytee-

Mickeytee- "Should I put the spring on the new hinge before I install the hinge , or after the hinge is installed?" "I would think before I install the hinge, but will that put any tension on the two mounting parts of the hinge making it a little difficult to install it between the door and the car's body??" "I may need to use that "spring tool" you offered." "If that becomes the case, How will I send you my address so you can mail it to me?"

Mickeytee-
Mickeytee- "Should I put the spring on the new hinge before I install the hinge , or after the hinge is installed?" "I would think before I install the hinge, but will that put any tension on the two mounting parts of the hinge making it a little difficult to install it between the door and the car's body??" "I may need to use that "spring tool" you offered." "If that becomes the case, How will I send you my address so you can mail it to me?"

My replacement hinge did not have the spring. I took the old one off and put it on the new hinge. Before installing it. Watch out, it's likely it will fly off and pop you in the head or some other tender place. Safety glasses are a must.

Mickeytee-

I would install the spring off the car if possible unless you get the wrench. The door will need to be all the way open and the hinge open . It will fit no problem. Just make sure that you mark the old hinge location. I think the door part has no adjustment but maybe a little on the body side. I would install the hinge on the body with it pulled all the way to the rear of the car. on the door part make sure the adjustment o n the door is pulled inward before tightening. Then ease the door shut looking at the outside. The door may be a little too high which you can adjust down easily. I like to start with the door up at the rear and too far in as that way it will not touch the paint. If you want the tool just send me a pm and I will mail it to you

Installing New Door Hinge

I would install the spring off the car if possible unless you get the wrench. The door will need to be all the way open and the hinge open . It will fit no problem. Just make sure that you mark the old hinge location. I think the door part has no adjustment but maybe a little on the body side. I would install the hinge on the body with it pulled all the way to the rear of the car. on the door part make sure the adjustment o n the door is pulled inward before tightening. Then ease the door shut looking at the outside. The door may be a little too high which you can adjust down easily. I like to start with the door up at the rear and too far in as that way it will not touch the paint. If you want the tool just send me a pm and I will mail it to you

"on the door part make sure the ADJUSTMENT ON THE DOOR is pulled INWARD before tightening." By "INWARD" what exactly do you mean? Adjusting the door down, if it is too high, would be done by moving the lower hinge forward, where it mounts on the body, right?

"on the door part make sure the ADJUSTMENT ON THE DOOR is pulled INWARD before tightening." By "INWARD" what exactly do you mean? Adjusting the door down, if it is too high, would be done by moving the lower hinge forward, where it mounts on the body, right?
Yes on the body adjustment. I want to start too high as its easy to lower. just loosen the bolts barely and tap lightly on the hinge. the weight of the door will cause it to drop. make a mark on a piece of tape as a little goes a long way. the hinge to door bolt should be a sleeved bolt that self centers and I don't think will allow for any adjustment. if it does allow any just pull the bottom of the door to you as you tighten the bolt You want to make sure if anything the door is too tight. too loose and it will hit the fender. You can check the door level with the fender even if the door is too high at the rear.drooping it down will not change the outside fender level.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom