Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2006 XLR convertible pump out?

westonbritt

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Infrared XLR
Just joined the club, it's great to be here gentlemen.

4-5 days after I bought my dream car the top quit working on me.
When I attempt to drop the top, the windows roll down and the rear deck lid unlocks.
I can manually lift rear deck lid to access the trunk using FOB or button in center console to control top.

I tried to re-index windows, check hydraulic fluid, etc. to no avail.
I took the car into Sewell Dallas for a diagnostic.

The mechanic told me that he did test the sensors and they all came back fine.
He did not do the FTC relearn (we'll come back to this shortly).
He used the Tech 2 to manually turn on the pump and confirmed that it did have power, but that it was not working.
He claims the pump has failed internally and would need to be replaced.
$2000.00 for the pump (surprisingly they had 2 in stock) and $700.00 for the labor.

The mechanic was gone when I went to retrieve the car today but told me that I can meet him on a Saturday when he's working and he will do the FTC relearn to see if it helps.

I'm liable to believe the mechanic that the pump has failed, and that I will need to replace it.

My current game plan is to remove the pump myself and send it to :

'03-'09 Cadillac XLR Hydraulic Pump Rebuild/Upgrade

for $550.00 and then replace the rebuilt motor when it's returned.

Would anyone have any additional insight before I pull the pump?

Thanks again for the great information on the forum everyone.

Semper Fidelis

I wonder if you can "hear" the pump actuate when you press (or someone else) presses the top-down button. Of course, if you were able to find out that the pump is spinning but not compressing oil, you'd know for certain that the pump has failed. But what would you think if the pump did not spin when the button is pressed? Perhaps a blown fuse? Might the problem be that simple? James

I don't have anyone to help me "Listen" for the sound of the pump run.

I did double check all the fuses to make sure that wasn't the culprit.

I have a local mechanic with a Tech 2 that I'm going to see tomorrow to have them do the FTC relearn and see if that helps.

Otherwise, I'm looking at pulling the pump myself and sending if off to be rebuilt or having the dealership that sold me the car do the labor and split the cost with them.

Any other insight would be greatly appreciated.

Time or money

I had a pump and motor that was submerged in water for a long time before I bought a 2005 XLR. In the process of repairing the car I pulled the pump and motor out pulled them apart freed up the seized motor with WD-40 very carefully of course now it works fine the thermistor in the pump also could be a problem. If you are one that can work on a vehicle or you are mechanically and electronically inclined or you can study and read and follow directions you should attempt to do it yourself. You should buy a tech2 scanner if you are going to be an XLR owner. I am by no means an expert but I do have experience in working with these cars.

And

Also if you remove the pump you can put power to the pump and you will know if it spins over or not.

When I attempt to drop the top, the windows roll down and the rear deck lid unlocks.
I can manually lift rear deck lid to access the trunk using FOB or button in center console to control top.

He used the Tech 2 to manually turn on the pump and confirmed that it did have power, but that it was not working.
$2000.00 for the pump (surprisingly they had 2 in stock) and $700.00 for the labor.

The mechanic was gone when I went to retrieve the car today but told me that I can meet him on a Saturday when he's working and he will do the FTC relearn to see if it helps.

I'm liable to believe the mechanic that the pump has failed, and that I will need to replace it.

Semper Fidelis

I recently had the same issue, purchased a new pump from www.gmpartsdirect.com for $1056. 00 and had the dealer do the install at cost of $150.00 for labor.

Top Hydraulics

12:31 PM
Default TopHydraulics
hello, my name is Dave Gonzalez and I want to give a a few tips on the XLR retractable top.
*First - if your top starts groaning during cycling, you need to add fluid.
*Second - if you add fluid and it looses it fast, you have a leak, if it doesn't loose fluid upon adding it, you are soon going to need help.
When you need replacing your retractable top pump, I would highly recommend that you replace the eight cylinders.when you rework the pump. it will save you time and money. i would recommended using Top Hydraulics for all reworked pump and cylinders. their work is superior and guarenteed. you just cant beat German craftmanship. I now have a beautiful working retractable top.

I had a pump and motor that was submerged in water for a long time before I bought a 2005 XLR. In the process of repairing the car I pulled the pump and motor out pulled them apart freed up the seized motor with WD-40 very carefully of course now it works fine the thermistor in the pump also could be a problem. If you are one that can work on a vehicle or you are mechanically and electronically inclined or you can study and read and follow directions you should attempt to do it yourself. You should buy a tech2 scanner if you are going to be an XLR owner. I am by no means an expert but I do have experience in working with these cars.

Default TopHydraulics
hello, my name is Dave Gonzalez and I want to give a a few tips on the XLR retractable top.
*Second - if you add fluid and it looses it fast, you have a leak, if it doesn't loose fluid upon adding it, you are soon going to need help.
When you need replacing your retractable top pump, I would highly recommend that you replace the eight cylinders.when you rework the pump. it will save you time and money. i would recommended using Top Hydraulics for all reworked pump and cylinders. their work is superior and guarenteed. you just cant beat German craftmanship. I now have a beautiful working retractable top.

Semper Fidelis
Default TopHydraulics

XLR tetractable roof pump and cylinders

im new to this incredibly difficult system and i wanted to let everyone know that if you fix your pump in the XLR, Top Hydraulics will rebuild it for $550. I did this and the deck lid cylinder above the pump began to leak, so my mechanic, who is GM certified, removed it and we got another and the other Top deck cylinder began leaking. it was then that I had all the cylinders reworked and replaced by Top Hydraulics. they were $110 per cylinder (8), $550 for the pump, $40 for all shipping costs and 7 hours total labor.
$1450 = Cylinders
$ 550 = pump
$ 650 = labor
$ 40 shipping
$ 90 = fluid
$1450 = cylinder core charge, taken off your credit once Top Hydraulics receives the old cores. total cost after return old.cores $2880. the dealer will.charge you twice as much, at least. Now I know why this model XLR never caught on, way to expensive to maintain.

Just a quick update for everyone:

I have negotiated with the dealership that sold me the car to have them to remove the pump and send it to a hydraulic mechanic that they have who will do a rebuild for $200.00.
(I'll pay for this)

The dealership will cover the labor to remove and replace the pump itself.

I dropped the car off at the dealership on Saturday and haven't heard an update for them, I imagine it will be a week or two before I get it back.

The unknowns I have are the experience of their mechanic and the hydraulics guy they have.
I'm comfortable with their mechanic removing and replacing the pump because it's relatively easily accessible(compared to the cylinders).

If the pump works for $200 then maybe I can get a solid summer out of the top and have a full cylinder replacement done during the fall.

If anyone has an experienced mechanic in the DFW metroplex I'd love the recommendation.
Thanks again everyone.

How did this all turn out for you? I’m in dallas as well. Just bought my 2004 on Monday and discovered top won’t go up on Friday ��. I am just getting started on this journey. o

westonbritt;75265 I have negotiated with the dealership that sold me the car to have them to remove the pump and send it to a hydraulic mechanic that they have who will do a rebuild for $200.00. (I'll pay for this) The dealership will cover the labor to remove and replace the pump itself. I dropped the car off at the dealership on Saturday and haven't heard an update for them said:

Mike
i met a guy in rockwall that owns 2 XLR’s and he swears by Autocraft in Rockwall. I just had Autocraft replace my entire fuel system due to a leak ($2,600.00) and they have several customers with Xlr’s that they do work for.
If you call them, Tell DD the receptionist, or Randy the owner, i referred you, (i don't get anything for that 😂 but just so they will know) Autocraft (972) 772-5121. Also They are about to change out my struts. I have another guy tgat can handle your tail lights if you need those repaired. He replaced all of my tail lights for less than Half what the other guy wanted to charge me for one.

Let me know if you need his number

How many miles are on your XLR? While we can only guess at the number of cycles for the top, it would be of some consequence if your car is high mileage? Then there's the other important factor, which, I believe is the great unknown... what is the service life for the system? Is it time sensitive-- notion being that even if not cycled much, plastic and seals simply age and leak? James

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom