Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!
  • The Cadillac XLR Net is now on instagram! Follow Us!

4.6 Northstar oil consumption

Cadillac Tech

Seasoned Member
This is a short history of what caused the oil consumption problems on the Northstar engine.

'93-'95; no problems

'96-'99; the tension of the oil control rings was reduced in an effort to reduce drag on the cylinder walls.

'00-early '03; piston skirts were reduced in an effort to further reduce drag on the cylinder walls.

'04 to current; updated pistons with polymer coated skirts and the top 2 compression ring grooves were moved down. Updated piston rings. Tension was increased on the oil control rings and the second compression ring has a built in step to help removed oil from the cylinder wall.

The updated rings and or pistons (depending on model year) stopped the excessive oil consumption.

harrower

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 infred red xlr-v
I had a 96 and 99 Northstar Cadillacs. Both used about a quart every 1500 miles. Currently have 2 2006 and a 2008 with no oil consumption. I think they finally figured it out.

Cadillac Tech

Seasoned Member
I had a 96 and 99 Northstar Cadillacs. Both used about a quart every 1500 miles. Currently have 2 2006 and a 2008 with no oil consumption. I think they finally figured it out.

I think you are correct.

monepit

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 black raven
Me too. All mine used a quart every 1500. The new one uses none. Thanks Bruce for the reason why. Good to have someone with the Cadillac knowledge you do.

yachtmama

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR- Red
oil

i had a 96 eldorado and used 1 to 2 quarts every 1500 miles had nothing but problems with it. 4 rear main seals and 5 head gaskets in 5 y,ears. but i loved it . now i have a xlr and it burns nothing.

XLR28

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Light Platinum XLR
I just had to add another quart to my 05. It happens about every 4000 miles or so. My oil life index is at 55%. No leaks, so it is just using it up. I get the Low Oil Level indicator in the DIC and the dipstick indicates at the bottom of the cross hatched area.

My Warranty is about to go, is there anything I can request from the dealers regarding this issue?

Thanks,
Ben.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win a Cadillac CTS-V!

Cadillac CTS-V Dream Giveaway

Supporting Vendors

East Coast Used XLR Parts

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry