Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

After market stereo

My XLR/V(s)
2004/XLR
I pray these words find the reader and their families we..

I am looking for an after market stereo, any suggestions?

DM
Preacher

I put a pioneer AVIC 7200 NEX in mine several years ago.
Gained Bluethooth, HD Radio, backup camera. Lost the HUD data from the radio, outside temp display and voice control.

Nkent17
just had a pioneer 4500nex installed in my 2006 V. Was really pleased with installation. Panel around radio was pretty much like original but solid black. DVD CD did away with old CD slot. Front $ Rear camera. Wireless connection with my apple phone so nav is always up to date. Steering wheel controls work with unit. Just trying to get use to linking Spotify,iHeartRadio,and pandora. Only thing that is out of original is small Mic on dash but can be removed without ruining originality. Best modification you could ever put in these cars.
V Happy

Scheduled to have a Kenwood DNX995S + front & rear cameras installed a week from tomorrow

Praise the LORD V Happy.

Thanks for the encouraging information. DO you still have the cruise function?

GOD Bless you and your family.

DM
Preacher

Typically the only thing you lose with an aftermarket stereo is the HUD radio station display. Everything else will work as before. Even the speakers sound better with more separation

Rexster
l remember you had a newer radio installed in your XLR. I thought you had to leave the CD slot in the car. Did you ever install a camera? The reason for the 4500 model was for the two camera's. I wanted a CD because of the sound quality.
V Happy
pS you are correct about the heads up station display.

Rexster
l remember you had a newer radio installed in your XLR. I thought you had to leave the CD slot in the car. Did you ever install a camera? The reason for the 4500 model was for the two camera's. I wanted a CD because of the sound quality.
V Happy
pS you are correct about the heads up station display.

Nope, no stock cd player in the car. Camera was installed at the same time as stereo.

I had the Kenwood DNX575S installed and everything works fine except the cruise control. They can't seem to get it working. Does anyone have any suggestions, I could use all the help available.
David. dleshay@embarqmail.com

I'm not familiar with the Kenwood install, I have a pioneer. Seems to me the only thing "possibly" connecting stereo and cruise is the data bus, but I'm not sure of that. just a thought. You sure it's not just a coincidence?

New XLR owner here, the car is a 2007 Passion Red and was purchased for my wife. Looking to replace the factory radio/CD/XM unit with a newer double DIN that incorporates rear view camera, but the installers I've spoken to thus far use a kit that includes a plastic replacement front panel around the air vents, radio opening and HVAC controls. This solution is not preferable since I'm not interested in losing the beautiful eucalyptus wood trim surround. Anyone with a different experience?
Thanks

I wasn't so displeased with the new dash panel as for the fact that I no longer have cruise control and they can't figure out how to fix it. Make sure your installer knows what he's doing before you mess with the radio.

my guess on the radio as others have said the heads up display does not work with aftermarket radios, they have something wired into the headsup system that is blocking the cruise control information and not allowing it to work.

The heads up works, just the cruise in not working. I'm thinking it's something in the sensor system because the cruise has the adaptive speed control for slow vehicles in front so you don't run into them.

so your heads up reads out the radio station? That is what I am talking about. I think you were already advised to make sure the adaptive cruise module was clean. Nothing from the radio installation would interfere with it unless they blew a fuse which I am sure they have checked. You can buy the module for the 08 for a couple hundred dollars on ebay to see if thats whats wrong. 06 -09 modules do not fail near as bad as the 04 and 05 .

Just finished installing a Kenwood DDX8906S in my 07 XLR-V. I purchased through Crutchfield and bought the install kit which included that plastic front panel. I used the supplied wiring harnesses but did not use the plastic panel, instead used the factory eucalyptus wood panel and installed the unit using the existing factory brackets which are attached to the head/ cd changer unit. I simply unscrewed the brackets from the factory radio and screwed them on to the Kenwood unit. The hardest part was making sure the Kenwood lined up vertically to match the factory front panel and drilling holes in the brackets (2 brackets, one on each side) to screw them on to the Kenwood unit Also had to buy a double din faceplate adapter for the Kenwood as the face of the Kenwood is about 1/2 inch narrower than the factory opening. I agree with you, no way I wanted to lose than eucalyptus wood face panel.

New XLR owner here, the car is a 2007 Passion Red and was purchased for my wife. Looking to replace the factory radio/CD/XM unit with a newer double DIN that incorporates rear view camera, but the installers I've spoken to thus far use a kit that includes a plastic replacement front panel around the air vents, radio opening and HVAC controls. This solution is not preferable since I'm not interested in losing the beautiful eucalyptus wood trim surround. Anyone with a different experience?
Thanks

Last edited:
Just finished installing a Kenwood DDX8906S in my 07 XLR-V. I purchased through Crutchfield and bought the install kit which included that plastic front panel. I used the supplied wiring harnesses but did not use the plastic panel, instead used the factory eucalyptus wood panel and installed the unit using the existing factory brackets which are attached to the head/ cd changer unit. I simply unscrewed the brackets from the factory radio and screwed them on to the Kenwood unit. The hardest part was making sure the Kenwood lined up vertically to match the factory front panel and drilling holes in the brackets (2 brackets, one on each side) to screw them on to the Kenwood unit Also had to buy a double din faceplate adapter for the Kenwood as the face of the Kenwood is about 1/2 inch narrower than the factory opening. I agree with you, no way I wanted to lose than eucalyptus wood face panel.

Same experience here, all the way down to ordering from Crutchfield. Those installers need to re-think their approach on a car like this.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom