Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Allow me to introduce myself...

Dirny

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Crimson Pearl XLR
My name is David Dirnberger, happy new father/owner of Lucy, 2005 XLR. After a few postings and much, much more lurking, I have finally registered my XLR and would like to introduce myself to the group and thank everyone here for the great amount of help I have received during the last two months. I am the proud owner of my father's 1965 Cadillac DeVille Convertible as well as my regular driver, a 2005 STS 1SG and the first new car I ever bought, 1979 Trans Am SE. My wife Lynn and I are parents to Heidi and Anton, and new grandparents to our two month old (Heidi's newborn) grandson CARmine.

I have been passionate about Cadillacs since about the age of 7, when I sat in the back of my first Brougham, unaware at the moment that my Dad's car was also a Cadillac, albeit convertible. I have affectionately christened my basement man cave "The Cadillac Lounge".

My son Anton coming home from law school this summer for an associates position prompted the need for a 3rd "regular" car. After much contemplation ranging between a cheap beater all the way to a new CTS for me, my wife encouraged me to buy and drive my dream car, while my son will use one of our existing cars. Since I laid eyes on the Evoq show car at the North American Auto Show in Detroit, the XLR has always taken my breath away. I embarked on looking for a Red XLR with tan interior, and found Lucy in Lake City FL in March, owned by a very nice middle aged couple who bought it from their friends/neighbors who hardly drove the car. A flight into Atlanta, picked up by my childhood friend and a rode trip into Florida, and I was on the road back to Detroit. Coincidently, 27 years ago I flew into Atlanta and had my same friend pick me up and drive me into South Carolina to buy a '76 Eldorado Convertible... and here we were 27 years later, him picking me up at the same airport to go buy another Cadillac convertible!

Since returning home I have taken care of many little things that needed to be tended to. A complete brake job and rotor replacement, going with zinc coated slotted and drilled, as the original pads and rotors were feeling quite "warpy" after 10 years. Replaced the diff fluid as the front wheels started to "skip" on tight turns somewhere in Kentucky on the way home. The Race Ramps I bought on recommendation here worked great for getting the rear end up off the ground. I also replace both outer door switches, which were working intermittently. Shimmed up a loose inside rearview mirror. Bought a set of brand new 2009 XLR wheels for her since the existing wheels each have curb rash... and I really love the 2009 wheel. Found a whole set, never used for $750. couldn't resist. There are more sets available, left over from when XLR production was abruptly halted. Waiting for a few more potholes here in Detroit to be filled before mounting them. Installed rear sway bar on the recommendations I found here, bought all the parts needed from GMDirect. Installed a WindRestrictor, lights up red, with Cadillac script. Was a bit unsure of it, but I'm getting lots of compliments on it. Also installed a Kinovo Bluetooth adapter connected through an aux adapter plug bought from Ray Kawal through the Corvette forum. Absolutely works great, can even talk on phone with top down and windows up, plus listen to all the music on my phone. Next up, replacement of the driver sun visor, and a radiator flush.

I could not have progressed so far so fast without the help of this forum. I cannot thank everyone enough, and hope I can give back in the future.

Looking forward to the Belle Isle Indy Grand Prix next Saturday. My wife and I will be in the Cadillac Corral with our XLR, rooting for Andretti racing.

Happy Memorial Day and Happy Motoring!
David

Attachments

• 2014-04-05 12.39.19.jpg
    2014-04-05 12.39.19.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 297
  • 2014-05-26 12.41.00.jpg
    2014-05-26 12.41.00.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 317
  • 2014-05-19 21.05.53.jpg
    2014-05-19 21.05.53.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 2014-05-26 13.00.51.jpg
    2014-05-26 13.00.51.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 301
Welcome!

Welcome aboard!

Just as you, I was very much attracted to the Evoq design car. When it was put into production as the XLR, I knew I would have to own one!

The first one I ever saw in person was in Crimson Pearl. It was then that I knew that the XLR I purchased would have be in that color. It was a few years later when I found my Crimson Pearl.

As you stated earlier, lots of great information on this site about maintaining these wonderful cars. We often get together and take trips as a group. A few years ago to Biltmore House in Asheville, NC, a trip to Gettysburg and Hershey, PA, and a trip last September to Bowling Green, KY.

Hope to meet you sometime!

IMG_0024[1].jpg

Last edited:
Dirny, great story. I grew up in the Toledo area. Mom is from Ypsilanti ( pronounced Ip-sa-lant-ē) and I grew up influenced by Detroit all my life. Mom and Dad lived in Gross Pointe Farms for 6 years before Dad retired.
Welcome to our group. As you have stated, there is a wealth of knowledge here. As you are only a 4 hr drive, it would be great to see you at the Arthritis Foundation Car Show July 11,12. We really want to have some XLR's participate to show other Car folks what a great car this is.
https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/events/6582-arthritis-auto-show-in-dublin-oh-5.html
Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Make sure you go to the most recent posts for info on registering.

Welcome to the forum, love your 'babies' from the little CARmine up thru the gigantic 65. My hubby has a an eye out for a 63 Convertible. Enjoy your XLR and hopefully someday we will see you at a group gathering. It is quite a special feeling to have 15-20 XLR's together: really causes people to stop and stare!

Dirny first of all welcome aboard. just a little advice. Some trouble I've had was a water leak in the trunk of my 2006.
etuzytes.jpg
asahe2eq.jpg
a6amy4e8.jpg
4uretupy.jpg
ehyhyvap.jpg
2e6ema3y.jpg
etabeqad.jpg
9anesa2e.jpg
sy7ypuzy.jpg
hu8a2ezu.jpg
keep these diagrams handy just encase you have this problem. It took me going back 3 x to my dealer because of the weatherstrip problem. It was where the rear window meets the trunk. The 3rd time was because they thought the new strip had some pin holes in it. So now that it's fixed. I still check the area after a big storm. Every couple weeks I walk around her and check for any visual problems. This is my baby and I try and take care of her as best as I can.
yre7eqy3.jpg

Its great when you see another xlr on the road because these cars are so rare. Some of us here have made up cards to hand out or stick in the window of other xlrs. Some of us have put our phone number and this website others have put their email address and the web site. Some of us have even gone all out (for shows) and made up banners or display boards
yhasy6et.jpg
for the cruise ins or shows that we attend

Dirny... welcome to the best XLR forum on the Internet!! Yes, there is a wealth of information here on the site. Hope to meet you sometime at one of the get-togethers - check out the events thread. Would LOVE to have you make the trip to Montana in August...

Thanks for all the good welcome wishes from everyone. I, too, hope to meet others sooner than later. I love Montana, but doesn't look like that can make it on the schedule this year, while Dublin has a better shot, but still a long shot. Next year we will have plenty of time to plan accordingly.

Looking forward to Detroit Grand Prix tomorrow... perfect weather predicted!

Hawkeye:

Thanks for the advice! I had already found this service bulletin due to your detailed previous posts and downloaded it for my records. I found a leak right after purchase going through my first car wash, but have been unable to repeat it. I am writing it off to a high pressure gun pointed directly at a gap. subsequent trips to same car wash without use of pre-rinse high pressure gun has resulted in no leaks whatsoever. Keeping fingers crossed for now!

BTW, love your signature... after all these years, I too cannot believe I have an XLR in my garage.

Glad I could help. The person that originally posted was cclarke I think.

Welcome Aboard!!! :cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry