Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! AM Reception Problem

paulc17

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Light Platinum XLR
Has AM radio reception been a problem with the XLR?
I am about 60 miles from the city so I understand that the signal will not be the best. But, my CTS and Audi convertible both do OK. The XLR is hardly audible.
I bought the car used in August and it's still un warrantee.

Sometimes the AM channel will just cut out altogether. No rhyme or reason. And then come back. VERY sporatic. Weird.:willy_nilly:

The antenna is not very efficient at am frequencies

I think it has been fairly well documented on this site and others that the antenna system on the x doesnt work well on the am frequencies. I certainly notice a tremendous difference between the x and the escalade. Also because the x is fiber glass the ground plane is not as good as a metal car. My Corvette radios never worked as well on am as the other cars I have owned.

There are alot more sources of electrical interference now than there was years ago and it takes alot of am signal to override the back ground noise.

The old fashioned whip antenna works far better than the window glass antennas.

the Window glass antenna works fairly well with FM..

I dont listen to anything but XM and it is solid almost anywhere except around tall buildings.

Bottom line is if you are getting an am signal its as good as it gets IMO.

JIM

There is an upgraded diversity antenna kit for the XLR consisting of a cutting template, "wart" antenna with a 6" mast, and a stick-on ground plane that attaches to the underside of the trunk lid beneath the carpeted cover. It's supposed to boost the AM reception dramatically. I bought the kit to do an XM install but went with a hidden antenna instead of the wart. They appear from time to time on eBay. Mine's packed away for a few months, or I'd send it to you. Your dealer should be able to come up with the proper part number.

CC :wave:

I'd hate to install an exterior antenna on that body. Have you tried your hidden antenna on AM and if so, how does it work?

I am lost as to why AM is important enough to go to the trouble and expense.:confused: Please explain so I can understand. Maybe I am missing something.

speedway:wave:

If you are interested in the news and sports in the NY city area you listen to AM radio (not all day). FM is primarily for music, and I'd rather listen to the sound of my engine than music.

Document ID: 2221733
<FORM name=CellHandlerForm onsubmit="JavaScript: return true;" action=/si/cellHandler.do method=post><HR>
#08-08-44-009A: Poor Reception of Radio Stations on AM Band, Static/Popping Noise (Install Antenna Service Kit) - (Jan 9, 2009)

999999995.gif
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Subject:</TD><TD vAlign=top>Poor Reception of Radio Stations on AM Band, Static/Popping Noise (Install Antenna Service Kit)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Models:</TD><TD vAlign=top>2004-2009 Cadillac XLR, XLR-V</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

<HR>This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-08-44-009 (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

<HR><A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2221733&from=sm#ss1-2221733">Condition

Some customers may comment about poor radio reception for stations on the AM band. Others may comment of static and popping noise on the AM band in some areas.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2221733&from=sm#ss2-2221733">Cause

This condition may be caused by the lack of a separate antenna mast for the AM band.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2221733&from=sm#ss3-2221733">Correction

<TABLE width="95%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Do This
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Don't Do This
</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Verify the antenna coax connections. If no concerns are found, install the Antenna Service Kit.
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Do not replace the navigation radio to improve AM reception.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Use the following procedure to correct this condition:
  1. Verify that all antenna coax connections between the existing antenna in the deck lid and the navigation radio are fully seated. Follow the diagnostic procedures in SI to correct any concerns that are found.

1. 2087173.gif

Important: Please show your customer the picture above of the installed service antenna prior to ordering and installing the Service Antenna Kit. The installation requires that the deck lid will have to be modified to facilitate the antenna mounting and coax pass-through. Once these modifications are performed, they are permanent. If the customer does not approve the installation, no other known antenna enhancements are available.
    <LI type=1>If the customer approves the antenna installation, install the Antenna Service Kit, P/N 25821144. Detailed installation instructions are included in the kit. <LI type=1>On 2004-2005 model year vehicles equipped with XM Satellite Radio (RPO U2K), the Digital Radio Receiver (XM Module), P/N 15837420, must also be replaced.
  2. Once installation of the Antenna Service Kit is complete, verify proper operation of the radio.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2221733&from=sm#ss4-2221733">Parts Information

<TABLE width="95%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Part Number
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Description
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Qty
</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>25821144
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Antenna Kit-Radio
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>15269740*
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Receiver Assembly - Digital Radio (2004-2005 model year with XM Radio [RPO U2K only])
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>* This part must be purchased through an authorized Electronic Service Center. Dealers should not submit a claim for this part.
Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
<TABLE width="95%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Labor Operation
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Description
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Labor Time
</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>R9745*
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Install Antenna Service Kit
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1.4 hrs
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Add:
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>To Replace Digital Radio Receiver (2004-2005 Model Year with XM Radio [RPO U2K only])
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.2 hr
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center colSpan=3>*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left width="80%">GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

</TD><TD align=middle width=42> </TD><TD align=middle width=167>WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
</FORM>

Document ID: 1866642
<FORM name=CellHandlerForm onsubmit="JavaScript: return true;" action=/si/cellHandler.do method=post><HR>
#PIC3222A: Poor Reception And/Or Static On AM Stations - keywords antenna electrical entertainment inop inoperative rear radio speaker static - (Oct 12, 2006)

999999995.gif
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Subject:</TD><TD vAlign=top>Poor Reception and/or Static On AM Stations</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Models:</TD><TD vAlign=top>2004-2007 Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Series </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

<HR>This PI was updated to include 2007 model year vehicles. Please discard PIC3222.

<HR>The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1866642&from=sm#ss1-1866642">Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment about poor reception or static on the AM band. The customer may also hear a pop through the speakers when depressing the brake pedal or when using other electrical systems on the car. This may be a normal condition - see below for additional information.
Recommendation/Instructions:http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1866642&from=sm#ss2-1866642

Compare the customer's vehicle to another XLR. VERY IMPORTANT - Be sure that the two vehicles are parked next to each other and pointing in the same direction! If the complaint vehicle exhibits considerably more static the following may help identify a open or poor connection in the antenna coax. As a starting point tune the radio to any known station on the AM band. Then push seek button and count the number of stations that the radio stops at until it goes all the way through the band, and comes back to the station you started with. Repeat the test on the comparison XLR. A system that has a open or poor connection will lock in on very few stations when compared to a good XLR. If the complaint vehicle locks on very few stations, verify that the radio coax cable is properly connected and that the antenna wires are properly secured to the antenna modules.
If the vehicle are comparable, do not attempt a repair at this time. Replacing components will not improve the condition. Engineering is currently investigating possible reception improvement solutions, and addition information will be made available as soon as it is available.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
<TABLE width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left width="80%">GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

</TD><TD align=middle width=42> </TD><TD align=middle width=167>WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
</FORM>

AM reception

Paul.
I have the same problem with my Corvette.:mad:
I too live about 60 miles from the city but on the NJ side. My F150 truck gets great AM/FM, while the Vette is almost inaudible. Normally the AM signal is very sensitive to proper grounding so I thought it could be that, but I noticed that the closer I got to the city the better it was. BTW the both cars (Corvette/Cadillac) have a lot of steel - the plastic body does not weigh 2 tons.
I gave up - it is simply a poor antenna/radio system. yes you can add an external antenna etc., but look what you have.
Go figure.... you buy a (inexpensive - lets say) Toyota Corolla and the radio is great. You buy a $$$$ Corvette/Cadillac and .......
BTW its always been that way. :patriot:
As a matter of fact, I am quite suprised/pleased that the F150 radio is so good!

This is an old thread but in case anyone is interested, here is a picture of the antenna mentioned in the service bulletin.

Probably look better on a black car.

I ordered the kit 25821144 from GM and I should have it next week some time. I plan to test it and see if it improves the reception.
I'll post my results.

Antenna.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry