Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Another GPS Problem

SrChief

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Lt Silver XLR
Last week I started out on a trip and when I tried to enter the trip info the enter screen would not come up. The map worked ans showed where we were but no entries could be made. I took it in to the dealer and after 2 days they said the problem is scratches on the disk!!. The disks I have are the latest (2 disk set) that I received after I got the car last year. When I have had to change the disk I have always put the one I took out back in the case. When I picked up the car I took the disk (west) out and sure enought there is many fine scratches in a circular pattern on it.
I put my east disk in and then the entry screen will come up! The dealer said the west disk was bad and not covered under GMPP. The disk had not been removed for several months and was working fine until last week.
Does anyone know if the unit can scratch a disk?

Last week I started out on a trip and when I tried to enter the trip info the enter screen would not come up. The map worked ans showed where we were but no entries could be made. I took it in to the dealer and after 2 days they said the problem is scratches on the disk!!. The disks I have are the latest (2 disk set) that I received after I got the car last year. When I have had to change the disk I have always put the one I took out back in the case. When I picked up the car I took the disk (west) out and sure enought there is many fine scratches in a circular pattern on it.
I put my east disk in and then the entry screen will come up! The dealer said the west disk was bad and not covered under GMPP. The disk had not been removed for several months and was working fine until last week.
Does anyone know if the unit can scratch a disk?

I cannot tell you if the CD/DVD/NAV unit can scratch the disk, but you can use Meguires Plastix plastic cleaner to remove them......if they are fine scratches. Just be gentle and use just a small amount along with a good microfiber cloth. I have had great results with music CD's using this method, just make sure there is no residue anywhere on the disk after you have buffed it.

:cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back